Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is reviewing very well, one example: The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners review

The duck button weirdness puts me off a day 1 purchase and I'm a little hesitant as it's smooth locomotion only, though I'm starting to accept I'm going to have to get used to this. 15 to 20 hours of gameplay apparently, so appears to be a full fat experience.

I'm very tempted but might give it a while to see if the physical duck issue is resolved.

This game is awesome!!!

Best zombie game so far (although Drop Dead comes a VERY close second because I've always LOVED on-rails shooters!), it's REALLY intense lol :eek: :laugh:

I liken it to ZombiU on the Wii U years ago if you played it with crosshairs and aim assist turned off before Ubisoft ruined the game by patching all of the difficulty out of it. It's HEAVILY influenced by that game imo, the rucksack and bag in both games are VERY similar ideas (and I was going to use the same idea for my game) as is having your equipment lootable when you first die.

I also like the idea of having the zombies responding to your microphone too - something else I'm planning on doing with my game which was inspired by a YouTuber years ago whispering when he was playing Alien Isolation VR Mod because he wasn't sure if the aliens responded to noise.

The annoying thing is that they've done these ideas first so it looks like I'm 'borrowing' the ideas instead of being a decent game designer with good ideas. I'm not a bad game designer as it goes. I was working on a GDD (Game Design Document) for a Wii game whilst I was working at Eidos over 10 years ago and not only had the same FPS controls that Retro had designed for Metroid Prime 3 (before it launched) but also had the improved control customisation that a Medal of Honor game had that was released soon after.

I binned the GDD after a while because the Design Department told me they wouldn't even look at it because I don't have a Design Degree. I might have to resurrect that project if I ever get my current game finished, it wasn't an original idea, I basically ripped it off from Paradroid/Quazatron from the 80s lol, but I reckon it would have sold well.

I bought S&S last night but it was too late to play it. Maybe tonight. Looks good.

Make sure you have some clean underwear handy before you start playing lol :laugh:

I just completed the first quest. I have to say grabbing a zombie by the head and shoving a screw driver into their brain is sadistically satisfying lol.

The graphics are nice and the controles are good. It felt a bit like Boneworks but in a zombie setting. I actually like this better than Boneworks as its less repetitive. Once I'd completed the first quest the game crashed though.

You can open cupboards when searching and push open doors which is nice. So far so good.

No soiled myself yet. There were no jump scares like in Alien Isolation.

Oh and I like the way you can enable your mic so you can call over a zombie or whistle. Come, come now old painless is waiting...lol

Just wait until you come across a horde of them. You will fill your trousers lol :laugh:

The game is heavily influenced by ZombiU which used to be a fantastic game before Ubisoft ruined the game by patching the difficulty out of it. I'm STILL pissed off by Ubisoft ruining that game all these years later. :mad:

So this is a must-buy then? Was thinking of getting Boneworks, but I think this might be more up my alley.

Class game, bought it last night.. definitely worth having.

Well this is the first game I bought with my first ever VR headset (Quest 2).

Very impressed but still learning about the mechanics of the game. I've restarted the game a few times now, just to get the hang of it. Currently stuck on the first quest, trying to find the safe. But I keep learning more by playing the same bit over and over. The detail is astonishing. I'm coming from 90s or 00s first-person shooters where guns and ammo are available on tap and increasing my health meant simply walking over a medi-bag... Now I've got to manually load weapons and physically bandage my arm!

Can I just ask, does it matter if you keep scavenging / looting and then going to sleep at the bus? As the number of days increase, does it really spawn more and more walkers? Or does it not make a difference?

I would like to gear up before I undertake some of these missions.

You know what, i was so looking forward to this but im quite dissapointed, ive no idea what to do, the game tells you nothing.

How does the watch work? what happens at night? why should i sleep?
What should i trash? I think theres a story?

You know what, i was so looking forward to this but im quite dissapointed, ive no idea what to do, the game tells you nothing.

How does the watch work? what happens at night? why should i sleep?
What should i trash? I think theres a story?

The watch took me a while to understand. The white is your stamina (top). The red/yellow is your health (bottom). The green bit in the middle is the timer, which depletes counter clockwise.

OK so at night, when the watch beeps, get the hell outta wherever you are and get to the skiff (boat). Make your way back to the bus and sleep. I'll double check but I think when you sleep, it restores your health/stamina for a new day.

Edit: the watch actually beeps at the midway point and then again and then once more at the end of the day. That's when the hoardes of walkers are released.

Almost anything you pick up can be trashed in the recycling bin in your bus. It can be used to create weapons, food, etc.

There is a story but the game appears quite non-linear. You ever played World of Warcraft? It's maybe the closest example I can think of. There is an element of "levelling up" by getting better gear, which is achieved by looting/scavenging. This is what I'm attempting to do just now before undertaking any new missions. From what I hear, other gamers are on like day 60 or 70 just from looting.

One thing I'm struggling with though is keeping the walkers at bay using my hand. They keep biting me! Might do the tutorial again.

Thank you that helps, i was going out and looting and filling my backpack and having to head back because my backpack was full, but thinking i was wasting days or missing something as the days passed by. i felt all i was doing was looting, and heading back.

So you can actualy loot for ages, get all leveled up and craft some good weapons, then head out on the missions?

Also, everyone seams to hate me, do i have to kill everyone, or do you team up or take sides?

Ive never watched the show, so no idea what the tower is etc.

One thing I'm struggling with though is keeping the walkers at bay using my hand. They keep biting me! Might do the tutorial again.

Grab the walkers from the top of their heads, as if you were going to give them a slaphead !

Thank you that helps, i was going out and looting and filling my backpack and having to head back because my backpack was full, but thinking i was wasting days or missing something as the days passed by. i felt all i was doing was looting, and heading back.

So you can actualy loot for ages, get all leveled up and craft some good weapons, then head out on the missions?

Also, everyone seams to hate me, do i have to kill everyone, or do you team up or take sides?

You don't have to kill everyone, in fact your weapons suffer damage from use and eventually break. You can distract walkers, climb etc. You can even turn on an option so they can hear you!

Yes there are factions.

First mission is to get the radio working, this will lead onto your other missions/story. Some missions it is better to not take a a 'direct' approach! Think outside the box as it were.

Some items are more useful than others, you can see what they are 'worth' by bringing them towards your face.

Theoretically spending more days looting decreases the available loot and increases the number of walkers. But I don't think it becomes unmanageable.

Killing people that don't like you is a bit extreme.

And I just thought I'd point out that I love you to bits and if anyone tells you any different they're lying. 😲😂

I'll double check but I think when you sleep, it restores your health/stamina for a new day.

Turns out I'm speaking rubbish. You go to sleep and wake up with the exact same health and stamina levels. So you have to keep a supply of decent food and bandages it seems.

Oh and the slaphead advice works a treat. Thanks @rss !

I'm on day 13 now. Managed to bag myself a meat cleaver but struggling to decapitate. Must be my trajectory; it's a bit 50-50 whether I decapitate or just lightly smack walkers on the face.

Loving the bow and arrow. I now use up both two-handed weapon slots with bows.

So this is part of the humble deal if you pay about £13/14. I'm not really interested in any of the other games or I have already played them, so is is it worth it just for this game?!
Yes!!!

picked it up myself and started it the other day, enjoying it so far, cool game!

I've just completed it tonight, on day 20 (clocked around 10 hours recorded gameplay).

I think I picked my preferred ending from the available options.

I'm going to continue scavenging / upgrading. Maybe play it again but make different choices.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom