1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WAKEY WAKEY(radeon blank screen)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by stegalv, Jun 26, 2004.

1. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Come on someone must have a a suggestion to my other thread as to why my radeon 9800 pro won't work in games.

screen goes blank or locks after games have loaded and a vpu message sometimes comes up about resetting graphic settings as driver is'nt communicating with accelarator.sound sometimes carries on in background.

I have tried turning fast write off in bios,disabling vpu,updated motherboard bios,used catalyst 4.5 and 4.6 drivers,updated nforce 2 chipset drivers,tried different resolutions and refresh rates. and it still locks the only way recover is the reset button.

system is asus a7n8x deluxe, 1gig of ram in dual channel. barton xp3200,

please help

2. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    maybe a silly answer but have you connected it to the psu (molex)

3. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is your PSU big enough?

4. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    yes and 350 watt

5. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what make, a cheap (ebuyer value or equivelent) PSU which claims to be 350W is usually about 200W and will not be able to power the system, if you're using a cheapy PSU a 450W psu is reccomended.

6. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks for your time,it says powerup on the psu case.
    but why is it only falling down in games?and at the start of playing.

has anybody any idea how to uninstall directx it's not in add remove.

if you have a 9800 pro can you tell me if in control panel/display/settings/advanced/3d/open gl/compatability is there a tick box for open gl hardware accelaration, according to the manual there is but in mine it is missing so could this be the problem,so i want to uninstall/reinstall directx.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    no such tick box on mine in 4.5 cats. Direct X has nothing to do with open gl. I have added a small opengl screensaver. Just put it in your windows/system32 (under XP) file. Virus check it by all means but i assure you it is clean. Try to run it as a screen saver and see what ever happons. :hiya:

Attached Files:

8. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks dfour,i have just tried it on my second computer and it was ok,so put it into my problem pc and it caused the same problem a complete lock up/blankscreen.

it locked up even on the preview screen in the display/screensaver window
    and a vpu message appeared saying that it had reverted to software instead of hardware rendering.

so it seems it is a open gL problem but what is the solution?

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Has it ever run any games on open gl or direct x??

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Matron....

11. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    i have tried call of duty,far cry,ghost recon and all locked
    how do i know whether the games are running on open gl or directx?

i have just viewed an open gl forum and it's unbelievable how many people are having similar problem on 1 thread there were 119 problems and solutions the solutions ranged from putting a fan in the case to hanging a crows foot above your head and drinking bats blood (might as well try the latter for all the use the others were)

i am now worried as there seems to be no answer?how the hell do card companies get away with selling products that cause so many problems.

"had me thinking for a minute there games guru" i would laugh if i was'nt so ****** off

12. jayss

jayss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi panny300,

Have you run the DirectX diagnostic tool? I haven't bought any games for a while but when i used to, most games use DirectX.
    Also, have you tried the drivers that came with your card, or have you downloaded newer ones. I tried new drivers for my 9800 and had terrible trouble with them, never had a problem with the ones that came with the card though.

13. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    your problem could well be your PSU. When a PSU is playing games it outputs more power to the CPU and GPU, this extra power can mean the difference between games and no games. If you can, try another PSU (preferably a quality one) if not, the only thing I can think of is a heat problem (as if the card's core or memory was faulty it would not even boot windows) so try plodding in an extra fan from the other PC and see if it solves it.

Rich

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    To me it seems like a power problem. You could always jury rig a spare PSU up to power the radeon on its own. All you need is a small piece of wire and plug it into pin 6 and 9 on hte psu cable then the power suply will be live. If it runs the game its lack of power.

I have a cheap Jeantech 550watt psu spare that had no problems powering my 3 hd, 2 cd drives, an over clocked radeon 9800pro and XP2500. If interested contact me.

15. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks for your replys,i have already taken the side off the case and used a large fan blowing into the case the cpu is showing 46deg and the motherboard 24deg.

i will try another psu as soon as i can.

jayss mine is a oem so no drivers,which version of catalyst did you use so i can download it

16. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Try running dxdiag this will give you the version of direct x you are using and will let you test the g card. I'm assuming you removed your old drivers before installing this card as this will cause conflicts especially if it was an nvidia based card.
    I'd also make sure the card is seated properly in the agp slot and that the power cable is connected properly.
    I'd recomend also downloading a benchmark program such as 3dmark2003 to check your cards stability and compare it's performance with other peoples with similar spec'd machines. It can be downloaded here (178mb):-

http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark03.shtml

you can download the latest version of direct x here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9e-07c1-462a-baef-5eab5c851cf5&displaylang=en

hope you get it sorted soon:)

17. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hawkford,i have directx 9.0b i have taken the card out and reseated,i have taken off the splitter cable and connected directly to the power cable,and have run the stress program in sisoft sandra for about 2 hours with no problems. but still locks in games.
    just tried 3dmark 03 it wnt through the first test but locked on the second set at the ogres,tried taking power cables out of dvds but for some reason it locked on the first test.

dfour,i had forgotten about the stress program,wouldnt that have caused the system to lock if it was the power supply?,if not! would taking the power supplys off the dvd drive,dvd writer,and floppy be the same as a larger power supply as there would be less power being used.

if i could get my money back this card would be gone.

18. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Power supply.

I bought a 9700 and it would lock up with a Qtec 400w PSU, A Qtec 550w PSU and a Macron 300w PSU. Got me a Antec Trupower 550w and never had a problem after that.

19. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try running 3dmark 2001, its a lot more GPU intensive. If its working fine, you could rule out the PSU issue, and should start looking at io devices (e.g unplugging printer, speakers, keyboard and mouse, etc).

Rich

20. jayss

jayss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The disk that came with mine says 'driver version 12-003' and in my display properties it says 'driver version 6.14.1.6292' if that helps.