1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

waiting for the right plasma/price... in vain?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kenji-san, Nov 19, 2004.

1. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello everybody,

so i want to buy me a plasma, but I want it to be able to display the up-and-coming blu-ray and whatnot hdtv goodies that will crop up in the next couple of years( ex. PS3 with blu-ray next year).
    And I want it to display it in all it's glory, not any scaling or anything.

So my hypothetical question is:
    When will we see the release of a 42"/45" plasma(or lcd?) screen that can produce a 100% true 1920*1080p picture,and a price tag that's about £2000, max?
    1 year? 5 years??

If it's the latter, i'd rather get the Panasonic TH42PWD6BX now, as i want to join in on the plasma goodness now, and not wait forever. Only bother about the pan screen is the relatively low resolution. I mean, scaling from 1920*1080p -> 852 x 480p is kinda missing out on the "true" hdtv experience,isn't it? or isn't it such a big deal?

kenji-san

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I would guess nearer to the 5-year mark, to fulfill your criteria.

By that stage there should actually be some HD-stuff worth watching, and sufficient market demand to push prices down.

Don't forget that it's not been confirmed that resolution will be 1080i in Europe. If it is 720p, which is quite likely, then current hi-def displays should do the job nicely.

3. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm,
    guess i have to do some thinking. but it's tempting to rush out and buy a plasma now.as mentioned, just concerned about how blu-ray stuff will look on 800*400.
    anyway, thanks for answer :)

kenji-san

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I'd go for a plasma with 1366 by 768. Though 1280/720 would do. However, technology and prices are moving at such a rapid pace that investing in a 42" plasma now seems risky imo. I thought I'd be ok sticking to a smallish 26" lcd only for 2/3 months later to see the prive fall by £350. I reckon there will be more lcd screens with 1920 by 1080 as lcd screens tend to have higher resolutions than plasma. Though they will be pricey if the upcoming Sharp 45" screen is anything to go by (£6,500).

On the other hand, there are a couple of new screen technologies around the corner, and potentially far cheaper for equivelent screen size than lcd/plasma. SED for one, with screens out 2005, and LCOS. If you can afford to buy another tv in a few years time, go for a plasma now. I'd be tempted to wait for a flat screen with 1920/1080p and perhaps 2/3 hdmi/dvi inputs.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you are serious about all this, with the price of a PWD6 you could buy one now, and buy again in 5 years, move the old one to the games room and put the new hi def panel in pride of place. It would also give you time to make your mind up, after all it's Hi def capable, it's not as if it won 't work.

6. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will always have to scale what ever screen you go for. If you bought a 1920*1080 screen you will have to scale down to show the 720p video that is expected in Europe.

I agree with you that if you can't 5 years for a screen that does every thing you want for the right price. If you do you will be back on here then asking the same question about the next technology.

Why not buy a PHD screen for just a few hundred more?

7. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the answers everyone,
    I think i'll wait a year or so, and see how the prices are by then. If 1920*1080 plasmas are still too expensice, i'll just go for the panny pwd or something similar.
    againg thanks for advices! :)

kenji-san

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    See you at the PWD7 counter in a year's time then. There is a 45" LCD now, it's £4.5k and not that brilliant except in terms of sheer resloution. Response time is too slow for consoles, the picture is stilla bit plastic for me.

9. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah the pwd7 it probably will be. and then the über do-it-all 1920*1080p+ whenever it's available at 2 grand.
    if af-sales release the pwd7 at a good price,i might not be able to restrain myself!:)

it could end up being a very expensive x-mas this year. :p