1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiting for PHD8 - What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by xprezz, Jul 29, 2005.

1. xprezz

xprezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to wait for the Panasonic PHD8 as I really dont like the design of the PV500 and dont need the built in tuner. I really no very little about this sort of thing and need some help with what additional components I would be needing. Ideally I would like to get a HDMI/DVI input board and run one cable to the panel and have a scaler in the other end. Now here comes the tricky bit, does a scaler have various inputs on the back (RGB Scart, component, VGA and DVI is what I need) allowing my setup to function almost like a pioneer with an external media box. Or is there any other solution that would allow for a setup like this with a PHD8 panel?

Names of any of the components I need would be appriciated as I live in Denmark and have to find a lot of this on the internet.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    xprezz

Smart move - the Display models are ultimately more flexile and configurable than the TV models.

Lumagen, DVDO, Crystalio, Cinemateq ... all offer a range of Video Processors with multiple Inputs and a single (or sometime multiple outputs).

Each unit has strengths and weaknesses - one key 'weakness' with all of these units is the degree of user knowledge required to ensure you have the Source/Processor/Display signal chain optimised for each source.

If you don't have local 'support' for the Video Processor you decided upon I'd suggest you purchase from a dealer who can pre configure the Processor for use with your Source and Display devices.

Best regards

Joe

3. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    i am also thinking of waiting for the PHD8, but is going to suffer from the split problem like the PV500 seem to be suffering with? i think it has something to with the dual screen circuitry employed in the PV