1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiting for DENON AVR-3801

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mad Max, Nov 20, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And the wait is driving me nuts ! Has anybody got one yet ? Tell me how good it is ! (And keep me busy while waiting [​IMG])

Rui

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

2. Ante

Ante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's excellent! Received mine two weeks ago, connected it with Pioneer 737, Mission 774 fronts, 77C center and four 77DS (two side and two back). Unfortunately don't have a sub. Probably going to make my own sub with Shiva driver and 450 W amplifier. Setup for Denon is very easy and fast. Auto switch between DD and DTS. DTS ES is recognized as DTS Matrix (Terminator 2) and DTS Discrete (Haunting). Surround sound is fantastic. Haven't found any problems so far. Definitely a best-buy!

3. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you've done it ! You were supposed to keep me busy while waiting, and now it's even worse !!!!!!! (Ok, I asked for it !)

Yes, it's awfull to say this, but I'm a spoild child when it comes to HC. I always want everything for yesterday! Like I keep saying, I'm worse than a kid... And the problem is that with 1.92m (I think it's about 6.5 feet, but correct me if I'm wrong) nobody dares to try to quiet me down [​IMG] AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH I want it ! I want it ! I want it !

Ok, how old do you think I am ? Nope, I'm not 14 ! Really !!! I am 29, work as a programmer in a bank, and have (they think) a lot of responsabilities ! [​IMG]

Anybody else wants to (try) keep me busy ?

Rui

P.S. My girlfriend woulndn't like for someone to make a pass at me, therefore, try something else [​IMG]

------------------

Rui

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had some idea how to keep you busy, and since you work in a bank ... why not 'hack' into the system and transfer large sums of money into my account? Keeps YOU busy and makes ME happy ... [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 21-11-2000).]

5. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect... Then I get busted, and have loads of time (2 hours weekly) to watch HC on a crappy TV in a prison's cinema room [​IMG]

Anybody else has any ideas on how to take my HC away from me ?

------------------

Rui

6. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got word from the ratailer... It arrived today !

How the hell am I supposed to work for the rest of the day ?

Just had to share this with you guys [​IMG]

Rui

------------------

Rui

7. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesssssssssssssssssssss

It's home ! Boy, am I tired...

Ok, First impressions. For the story, I left work 2 hours early, to pick it up at the retailer. Then, took it home, and.... aaarrrggghhh.... had to go shopping with my girlfriend. Yup, christmas is getting close, and we had a lot to check. Got home at 10 PM, and of course, had to connect everything right up. couldn't wait for today.

I'm glad I did ! Love the unit ! OF course, I went to bed at 1:30 in the morning, to get up 5 hours later... Ouch !

Now, because it was so late, and I wanna keep the few neighbours that still hang around, I couldn't turn up the volume. I have the feeling that it has less power than my Onkyo (Pro-Logic), but I think it's because I need to turn the volume knob a lot higher to get the same output.

DD is great compared with Pro-Logic ! The separation and detail of the sound is so much clearer... It's a different league altogether.

Now, I have 2 or 3 questions.

Like I said, I connected everything up pretty late, and might have got something wrong. The first wierd thing I noticed (and scarred the hell out of me) was that when I finally got too tired to keep playing, I turned the sistem off, and my Sub started to hum, and it kepb going louder until I switched it off (I didn't wait to see how high it got. Now, I configured the 3801 for 5 speakers and a sub (REL Q100E) connected at Line + Speaker Level. Can ANYBODY try to guess what happened ?

Also, the Receiver doesn't seem to output DTS. I know, it's weird, but true. The only DTS disk I have it T2 UE, and when I choose DTS on the menu, it just goes mute. No sound whatsoever. Now, my Micromega DVD player (A high-end French DVD maker) has a DTS logo, which means it can output DTS. I checked the DVD setup, and the only thing it has is an On/Off option for the digital outputs. And since DD works fine, it means the digital outputs are working. Anybody with a guess on this one ?

Another thing is that the "lock signal" lead lights whenever a digital signal is detected, but the receiver doesn't switch between formats. It always seems to be in a "6 C" something format (Sorry, it was too late for me to remember). Shouldn't it switch automatically between formats ?

Finally, because it doesn't switch formats (Even on automatic), the leads for format don't light.

All right, I know I didn't read the manual yet, but still, some things seem a little odd.

Now, recapitulating the questions:

1) REL Q100-E SUB connected at Speaker AND Line level. When I turned the sistem off (Through the remote only), it started humming. Why ?

2) Is it supposed to switch automatically between DD, DTS, DTS-ES, Etc ? Mine doesn't, even on auto-mode. The display always says it's "6 C something".

3) T2 UE doesn't play in DTS mode. It's mute. The receiver Locks on the signal (Lock led ON), but the sound doesn't come out, and the DTS led doesn't go on. Why ?

I would apreciate any ideas popping out of any you guys. I'll make a better test tonight, of course, but I'm a bit worried...

Thanks

------------------

Rui

P.S. I just remembered something that might be important: I changed the default setup, to connect the DVD through Coaxial Instead of Optical Cable. I rather not have 2 conversions in the signal path (Digital to Opcical and back to Digital).

P.S.2. The "6 C something" I keep mentioning is actually "DTS Neo:6" which I just found in another site. From what I've read, this is a Stereo signal being converted to 5.1.... Can anybody help ?

[This message has been edited by Mad Max (edited 28-11-2000).]

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. Sounds like a ground loop to me: start disconnecting ALL cables on by one until you find the culprit, sometimes changing the AC socket may work, sometime turning around the AC plug might do the trick, too (no joke!) - if that's possible in Portugal, not familar with your plug.
    A master-slave AC distribution would be an alternative.

2. RTFM [​IMG] Check very carefull all settings and options, I guess you just overlooked something.

3. NEO:6 is supposed to be some kind of improvement for stereo signals, surely there is an option to disable it. See 2.

9. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read somewhere that LD's don't output DTS through a Coaxial output. Only through Optical...

Could there be the same thing on DVD's ?

------------------

Rui

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS (should) go through the same coax as DD and PCM. If the 3801 has a DTS light that should come on when a DTS signal is present and is not doing so then it does seem more like a set up problem at the player end of things. But as the other posters have said, make sure that another soundfield mode isn't engaged first. (Similar situation to sitting through the first half an hour of an early Fox or Columbia disc in pro-logic rather than DD5.1)

11. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys...

Thanks [​IMG] It shouldn't be difficult to find, since the Player only has a couple of options. I'll try them all tonight and let you know what happens.

As for the SUB problem, I was thinking around the same lines you were... Re-connect everything up is gonna be a b**** though, because of the difficult access to the back of the receiver. The custom rack I ordered is not close to being delivered...

I guess that's why I was hoping for a miracle cure... Being lazy, I guess

Cheers, and I'll let you know tomorrow how it went.

Rui

------------------

Rui

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Luck !

13. ThunderSUB

ThunderSUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Rui, I have a B&W ASW 1000 subwoofer and a Denon AVC-A10SE.

I could have written this message in Portuguese, but this is an english spoken forum...

I think you can't have both line level and speaker level connections at the same time.

Quote from B&W subwoofer manual : "(...) you must not use a mixture of line level and speaker level connections in the same installation. If you have a choice between line level and speaker level connections, choose line level."

About the power output of the amplifier, I had the same initial impressions that you do, but it gets a lot better with use ! Just break it in properly ! Mine is a beast, 5 x 125 W !

My amp. has the possibility to choose the "input mode", set it to auto.

The "6 C" mode is probably "6-channel stereo" and thats why the "lock signal" led doesn't light.

In my humble opinion you should do the following :

1. Read the manual...
    2. Use only the line level connection (I use a Monster THX SW cable)
    3. Set the "input mode" to auto (it's probably in analog mode right now) on your remote
    4. Press the "home thx cinema" or the "dolby/dts button" on your remote

Let me know if it works !

------------------
    Claudio Subtil
    Lisbon, Portugal
    http://drive.to/thundersub

14. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys... Guess what ?

IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!! How ? Well, I checked the Player's settings, and the Audio setting has 3 options, something like Analog, PCM, All... Guess what I was playing ? PCM [​IMG]

Only yesterday, with all the research I did, I understod what PCM was... Of course that as soon as I saw it I knew it was wrong. And as soon as I switched to All, the Receiver started recognizing all the input signals (DD, DTS, Etc.) Boy, do I like the Receiver !
    5Ch Stereo is very impressive. I'm not an adept of DSP's, and usually had DSP turned off, but I think I'll be using 5 (And later 7) Ch Stereo quite a lote. It literally fills the room with pure sound... No distortion or effects. Great stuff.

DTS is so impressive I'm still trying to figure out how not to drool all over my listening position (messy for the next time you're watching something [​IMG], or when somebody else wants to use my sitting place )

Anyway, after reconnecting the entire speaker system, and bleeding to death from all the injury involved, now the hum problem from the Sub is gone. (Although I didn't see any wrong contacts on the previous connection).

Claudio, the B&W and the REL might have different electronics, because REL not only says it's possible to have both connections, but they also have a different Volume knob for each input, and have a scheme on how to connect and fine-tune Speaker + Line level together.

Have you had your DVD Player region cracked yet ? I have a friend who is just about to upgrade his, and not only are they very professional (so he says) but they claim that the upgrade doesn't void the warranty. Interested ?

Rui

P.S. The 3801 doesn't have THX... I suspect it has most of the circuitry for THX, but since it's not a very high end machine, and Denon wanted to keep it price competitive, they didn't bother to go through the licencing process, and therefore can't display the THX logo.

P.S.2. What speakers do you have ?

P.S.3. Thanks for your help everyone... now I'm gonna get to work, so that I can run home later and enjoy the system... ARGH... Got a birthday party with family, and they don't have HC !!!!!

------------------

Rui

15. ThunderSUB

ThunderSUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Rui, my speakers are B&W DM 602 S2 front on filled Target FS60 stands , B&W DM 601 S2 rear on filled Target MX100 stands, B&W CC6 S2 center and B&W ASW1000 subwoofer.

I am using Straight Wire Quartet with 4mm banana plugs to connect everything.

I planned to buy a REL Q200 instead of the B&W, but then I read somewhere (Hi-Fi Choice ?) that the ASW1000 would be a best choice for my setup.

I haven't made my DVD player multi-region yet. I am interested in making the conversion, so please e-mail me the details.

Bye !

------------------
    Claudio Subtil
    Lisbon, Portugal
    http://drive.to/thundersub

16. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Though your sub can run at both line and high level it's a question if you really need / want it.
    High level makes only sense if you want to "boost" a stereo signal (for the fronts).

Else use line level only and let the amp/receiver do the bass management.
    This option is the one to go for in an AV setup.