Waiting for connection...

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by blackpants, Jan 22, 2008.

1. blackpants

blackpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

Just a couple of quick questions. My B'band Max should become active tomorrow but I have also been advised that it could be up to 3 days after this date before my line is active.

My question is do most people get activated on the date stated and also do I just leave the router plugged in and switched on waiting for the green light or turn it off and on throughout the day to establish the connection??

Many thanks

BP

2. blackpants

blackpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just by way of an update,

I did in fact get connected today, in case anyone else wondered I just left the router switched on and when I came home the green light was on.

Despite being told I could only expect 512kbps on my line I am getting 4Mbps via ethernet and 3Mbps over wireless (802.11b i think is limiting this?).

I tried the master socket test port to see if I could get faster but it was actually slower? Anyone know why that could be the case?

BP

3. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Glad to hear you got connected on the day as I am also moving to BB Max with Sky and received the same message that there may be a delay of up to 3 days!
    Regarding your questions about the speed do you mean that you were expecting higher than 4Mbs via the line? If so then this may change over the next week as they train the line to see how high a speed it can take without finding error drop outs (sorry if u know this already). So you may find it will become better over this week until the best speed without errors is determined by Sky.
    If you mean that the speed of the wi-fi is slower than the ethernet speed then I think this is normal as my wi-fi is also slower than when connected by ethernet. I would guess due to signal strength. If the strength is not full bars on your PC/laptop then the speed may be reduced to catch any errors found during send/rec over the wi-fi.
    By the way, you said you were told to expect 512kbs on your line? Do you mean that Sky told you this was the max it would take or that this would be the starting speed once connected intially? If it is the former then why are you taking BB Max....seems a waste?

4. Simian Sibling

Simian Sibling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,181
    I think they give that to everyone. I was advised I would get 512K but I am abut 300m from my exchange so I am guessing i wil get about 14mb but we will see. I am still waiting for my router but according to them my line went active yesterday!

5. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I got my router 3 days after applying and today received the target live date (6 days after applying). They say I will go live next Tuesday or within 3 days...fingers crossed on that one. They claim my line should work between 8 and 16 Mbs when the line was tested and as I have previously had 5Mbs from my previous IP I would be happy with anything above 8Mbs . However as my main reason for the move is to have the uncapped service getting near 16Mbs is not essential.

6. blackpants

blackpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes in the first letter Sky sent to me they said my line should acheive 512Mbps, however I took BB Max as it has no one-off cost. And was also curious to see how fast i could go plus at only £10 per month its £7 cheaper than my old Tiscali 2Meg package so abit of a no brainer. When I signed up I also got the customer service guy to confirm that I could downgrade to another package at any time and recorded the call. So now I know my line will only acheive about 4Meg then I will be down grading to the BBMid next month.

I was not expecting to be as fast over wireless as I only have 802.11b but will have to wait to buy a new laptop with 802.11g to see if that improves.

XBoxSpares: My router was left with a neighbour with no card put through my door. Luckily we are friendly with our neighbours and she brought it round that night once we were home from work. It might be worth knocking on some doors.

7. tony79

tony79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Just recieved my router today. Was expecting another 834G (I'm using the 834GT with my aol service at mo) but was sent a 934G! Anyone else been sent this. it looks like a mini sky hd box!!!

8. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yep, got one of these 934G boxes myself also when my Sky Max was activated last week. Wireless strength is much better than my old Linksys wireless router.

9. tony79

tony79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thats good to hear! What are the specs on it though? Is it 54 or 108mbps?