1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiting for builders!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Les E, May 17, 2005.

1. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Has anyone else who has had an extension build on to the house, had to wait an extraordinary amount of time for the build to start from initially committing to a builder?

I am coming up to 6 months now, and not a brick has been laid on my proposed extension...it is really frustrating me now!! I keep getting put back...it was intended for a February start and now it looks like the end of May (believe it when I see it!!).

:mad:

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Its not uncommon as they are very busy.

You should have used one of the domestic building contracts. This would give you a defined start and end date, with the possibility of cash penalties for the builder if he misses the agreed target dates.

You also want to ensure that once they are on your job, they don't leave it half complete to go and do other work elsewhere.

Make sure you retain some control via the stage payments, so that 90% of the money is not paid when only 50% of the work is complete

3. slobbo

slobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's not so bad. I started the process off in March 04 and June 06 and I am still waiting on the Building warrant. Thankfully my builder is also a mate so I won't have to wait very long for him to start once we finally have the warrant.

Good luck and I hope the sun shines when your builder finally starts.

Rob

4. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The builders have moved in at last!!

They're currently digging the footings out and clearing the area (on to our 3rd skip in a week!). So I am alot happier now I can see some progress...however I suspect it will be all stop when the rain sets in, but I least I can see a beginning!! :thumbsup:

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    We had to wait so long that we "sacked" our builder before he started (if that's possible!) - didn't pay any cash, so nothing lost.
    - it's a good idea to pay in installments - then they should complete in good time.
    Anyway now we're moving house, so don't (and won't) need a builder!

6. Captain Ted

Captain Ted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm a builder and it's GREAT!

You should never pay up front though. People offer me it and I refuse, accepting only stage payments when the customer is happy with my work.