1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiting 6 years ago...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dacres, Jul 9, 2004.

1. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... just the time than sons and wife let me...
    From '98 I am looking subwoofer models at HCC and others. At the end, I decided by a MS909 or a ASW675 but my usual retailer says REL, it's the hi-end reviews brand.
    I've heard only a Q50, B&W 600 and Q150; with this, last year, I discovered bass line with a George Benson CD.
    And here you're talking very well about BK,SVS... :confused:
    I need your advice for a 22'x15' room, very good for music, not a destroyer for HT and something like SVS PB2 or cylinders has a very too much incredibly bad WAF.
    From 250 to 800 pounds, where's the middle point?
    Can you help me? :lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I heard an MS909 at a show earlier this year and was quite impressed with it even taking into account that it was in a large hotel room with high ceilings and packed with people. The demonstration was mainly with noisy films though and not music.

The B&W ASW675 is well thought of and keeps good time for music. You have a large room and I think that it may have a problem if you tried to play loud films at high volume levels but if not, it would be an excellent choice.

The problem with REL is that it's subwoofers are expensive and at most price points there seems to be something better that is also cheaper. Within your price range there is only the Strata and Stampede and like the B&W they would probably both struggle to fill your room with deep bass for films at reference level but would probably be fine at lower volume levels for music.

3. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can the two subs referred, and discovered at this forum, be a choice?
    The BK perhaps not by the room size - I like it; but PB1 - smaller than PB2 (problem was size, not brand) - can be an alternative to B&W or MS?
    MS909 comments here - last test- make me doubt.

I remember my Q150 test - Depht mode, 45 % volume, 0 dB input, 90 Hz Yamaha sub-out and speakers small. Rumble at furniture was noticeable with films - Private Ryan, Armaggedon, Pearl Harbour - and the sound was a little confused like a constant 'brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruum' without definition. With music better, above 50 Hz.

More tight, more definition - 20 to 50Hz- to complete a good music sound.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As many people know I am a great fan of SVS as they make absolutely top notch subs which they sell direct to the public making them much cheaper than the competition which has to incorporate a large dealer mark up in their prices. Added to that there is the world famous after sales service where nothing seems to be too much trouble for them.

I haven't heard a PB-1 but from the reports from satisfied owners that I have read I would say that it's a very worthy alternative to the B&W or MS909 any of which will perform far, far better than the REL Q150

5. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Two Rocket UFW-10's (US$1000 + pp) might also be a good option, when they come available for the European market.

6. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my PB1-ISD order is done. :thumbsup:
    Why a lot of people talk and buy SVS, means something.

Rel Strata V : nice, good for music but expensive, distortion for HT, thin power amp ...
    MS 909 : good overall but...
    BK, MS309 perhaps a little short in my room.
    ASW675 very good but expensive, hard setup. The best contender.

And finally PB1-ISD : good reviews http://www.diskidee.nl/av/testen/index.htms/4453 (dutch) and another with a HSU sub at USA forum; it has all I need - good precision and slam, good to setup from a sub connection, weight. I hope don't be disappointed.

Thanks to everybody. :lesson: