1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait or Buy?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by jaynee, Jun 27, 2005.

1. jaynee

jaynee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about getting a new digital camera - a small 5mp one like the cannon ixus. But somebody told me that a whole new load of camera phones are coming out that are more like phone cameras. I like my phone and thought it might be better to kill two birds with one stone!!!

Is this phone camera thing true? Is it worth the wait?

I just want to take nice pictures that I can print out to a decent size and in a perfect world txt to people if I want to.

2. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    No, buy the camera. The next batch of camera phones that are due out have a 2mp camera but still no optical zoom or auto (or manual) focus. Camera phones are good enough for photo messaging but not much else.

3. jaynee

jaynee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not an expert. I have only been thinking about this seriously since friday. But, I have been doing some research and asking advice.

Sandman, my issue is that I would rather have one thing in my bag and not two. That means I have to compromise. I like the idea of sending pictures to people and showing them off my phone - which is with me every where I go.

I was worried that camera phones are not good enough to take and keep pictures of the things that I think are important - memories of people, times and places. And that I would have to get a digital camera which, while being better, I would leave at home and not print the pictures off (most people I know take pictures with their digital cameras and never do anything with them - never show them to people).

I have now been told that as I am not a serious photographer that most of the camera phones should suit me - they print out 6x4 with decent quality.

I should think about a sharp 902, a nokia n90 or a sony k750... which , fingers crossed I could get free or cheap as an upgrade when I change my contract.

My pipe dream of something a nice and powerful as a cannon ixus as a phone... is just a pipedream...

Does this make sense... do you think this is all sound thinking?

4. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Stick with a camera. I've got a K750i which has one of the latest 2Mb cameras, and it's nowhere near as good as my 2-year-old, £99 Canon digital.

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yes. Although the W800i/K750i are great phones and their cameras are very good, they are only very good when in comparison to other camera phones.

When put up against a dedicated digital camera, there is no contest.

In fact, I'm just about to order a Panasonic DMC-FZ5, possibly one of the best 5MP cameras in its price class, not as tiny as a Canon Ixus mind, but 12x Optical Zoom, 4x digital zoom and a lens that camera phones will probably never match for quite a few years yet, if ever :)

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    Kaz, to be fair, if you are considering that camera, then its a completely different situation than a little, pocketable digital camera.

The N90 has a very nice image quality for a 2mp camera. Auto focus and a nice screen.

granted, you could get better quality with a little ixus, but thats more space, and you probably won't have your camera with you at all times. something like the N90 is a good backup for those moments.

My old Sony F505v was only just over 2mp, and it took some of my favourite pictures - one of which is blown up to 10x8 and on the wall. The Megapixel race is not the best measure of quality.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Richard,

On that point I agree, my W800i is great as a little emergency point and shoot camera, but certainly not a replacement for a proper digital camera. that was the point I was trying to make :).

My new FZ5 should arrive next week :) Can't wait :clap:

8. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I personally would go for a Pentax as per the below over the Canon...

Pentax Optio S5Z

Marc.