Wait for Yamaha DSP-AX863SE or buy something else

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Shenoizy, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've been waiting almost a month for stock of the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE to arrive for my order and it doesn't look like things are going to improve until the end of the month. My order is with Peter Tyson for £500 and because of its good price I've held on.

Is there another AV Amplifier that might be recommended instead. I don't want to spend more than £600 but need the following:

3 or more HDMI inputs, preferably all of which pass through audio bitstream and video
    Dolby TruHD and DTS HDMA decoding
    Input name labelling
    1 x Coaxial & 3 x Optical audio inputs
    Audio/Video Source changing (so I can watch video from one source but hear audio from a different source)

I can't think of anything major I need but I'm going from a Denon AVR2805 so it would be good to have everything that can do.

2. cable1210

cable1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In the same boat, except had mine on order since nov the 7th:confused:

Have been getting tempted by the yama rxv-1900

3. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Shame. I've spoken directly with Yamaha and a couple of retailers and they all say that supplies are non-existant and are unlikely to change for most Japanese products.

I'm tempted to spend a bit more and go for the Pioneer VSX-LX51 instead. It certainly looks the part and has some great reviews.

4. suneil kumar

suneil kumar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I've also back ordered the yamaha 863 from HIFIX priced at £499 since 5th january.

I was also looking at alternatives, and the denon AVR 2809 caught my eye. On a layman comparison the spec sheet is almost identical for both amps, but the denon pumps out more power per channel, and has an extra HDMI port which is a plus for me. The denon is dearer than the Yamaha but to be honest I really don't know how long I'll be waiting for the 863, and at this rate I could be waiting until April.
    I personally haven't tested the Denon, so initially thought what you guys make of the denon over the 863, before I auditioned it.

Suneil.

5. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It is annoying but I guess there are plenty of more important things to be thinking about than AV Amps.

I had also considered another Denon, the 2809 being the obvious choice. Sound for pound it doesn't seem to match the Yamaha and personally I feel like a change.

I'm also considering the Marantz and Onkyo amps but maybe I should try to find one of the higher spec. Yams instead. I just know that if I wait, it will be at least March before any units arrive and I'm already missing out on some lovely HD Audio.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    For the same price as the Yamaha 863 @ £500 I would recommend looking at the Marantz SR5003 which is very similar feature wise and offers superior audio performance for both movies and stereo. The list price for this model is now £649 but it can be picked up for £499 from a number of places.

7. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I looked at the Marantz amps and was very tempted by the SR6003 but in the end I've decided to go for a great offer on an Onkyo TX-SR876 for £600 instead.

I was not sure on Onkyo as I've never had one before so I checked out some reviews and didn't realise it normally sells for £1000!:eek: Given the brilliance of the SR875 and the lower spec SR606, I'm expecting a good things from it.

8. willers

willers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get this amp for £600 ?

9. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It was a special offer from Peter Tyson but only because I had ordered the Yamaha for a month and since they're not coming for ages they decided to arrange a special deal on the Onkyo. I can't find it cheaper anywhere else so I presume it's a fantastic deal for a high end receiver.

10. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What's the best price for this right now?

11. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The Yamaha 863? Around £500 if you're willing to wait but you may be waiting a couple of months now.

12. SDF1965

SDF1965
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in a similar position, wanted to upgrade from an Onkyo 605, the Yamaha 863 seemed to be a step in the right direction, couldn't find one, thought I would then go up another level and tried to find / test a Yamaha 1900, still no joy.

I then stumbled across a demonstration Pioneer LX51 at Richer Sounds. Sound quality is impressive, a step up from the Onkyo, has the additional HDMI input I was after and does look an awful lot better (important for the better halves in our lives!)

Had it now for 3 weeks, nicely run in with a more defined sound stage, far better for music (important for me) with greater clarity, good bass/mid and treble reproduction.

Reviews are hard to come by but search the web and you'll find some that are very favourable but as always trust your own ears.

13. HurleyFX

HurleyFX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Another person here who waited too long, im considering a MARANTZ SR6003 unless i get talked out of it, also like the fact that it has 2 outs.

14. cable1210

cable1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got some good news today, hifix got some in and contacted me. Remember tho i ordered it Nov 7th, before you go calling them and bothering them about it.