1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait for HD3

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jhkanguk, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are selling new HD3 chip (even HD2 is rare in the UK!)
    RRP for 50" is only 1,800 pounds which means actual price could be much less than 1,500 pounds.
    How long would it take for HD3 to come accross the atlantic?

http://www.tvauthority.com/Plasma_TV_LCD_TVs_HDTV/prodlist.asp?
    deptname=DLP_TV_HDTV&dept=42&aff=5188

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll probably wait until a true 1920/1080p dlp rear pro comes out, don't know when that will be though, hopefully before Sky starts their HD Transmissions :thumbsup:

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The HD3 DLP chip is NOT a performance gain over the HD2+. The HD3 was designed for 'mass-market' sales. It has some of the improvements over the original HD2 that were incorporated into the HD2+, but not all of them. Seems strange, but the idea seems to have been to produce a good performing chip for a low enough price for inclusion in mass-market displays. The HD2+ could then be reserved for more 'up-market' models.

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Doubt it will be before $ky go HD, not in this country anyway. More likely that the manufacturers will wait until there is sufficient HD demand.

Of course, if the broadcasters choose 720p as their transmission format, then we may not see 1080p display devices for a very long time.

5. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AV Junky: Is the HD2+ chip of the Optoma better than or equal to the HD3 Chip of the above mentioned sets? Does the Optoma have the dark chip of the above mentioned HD3 sets?

The above information would be helpfull, as i will be purchasing either the Sagem, Optoma, or the new Tosh prior to Christmas. What would your choices be?

Soni

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, and one other question: What does taffyboyo mean when he says wait for true 1920/1080p dlp rear pro's to come out? Is the present line up of rear pro DLP's not true hi def?

7. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Most of the current rear pro DLP's have 1280x720 chip as opposed to 1920x1080 which Taffy is waiting for.

8. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    SamirP: Thanks for your reply. I understand the Optoma is HDTV-ready for 480p, 1080i and 720p formatted media. Is the 1920x1080 that Taffy is waiting on not the 1080i ? Please excuse me, I'm not very technical, but do realise that these numbers relate to the resolution and lines on the screen. If the Optoma's resolution is not what Taffy is waiting on, will the Optoma's picture/performance be any good with HD broadcasts. I just don't want to part with 2K know, and realise that i should have waiting 6 months to get the real thing!

9. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He means 1920 x 1080p.

DLPs, LCDs and plasmas (except for ALiS panels) are all progressive displays. If a 1080i signal is broadcast it will have to be deinterlaced to 1080p by the display.

I don't agree with AV Junky's view that we will not see many 1080p displays in this country if Europe goes with 720p transmissions. Most current displays are 768p, which is a PC resolution, not an HD video resolution. It's hard to imagine that the next generation of displays would have a lower native resolution than the current displays. Besides, most manufacturers have indicated that their next-gen LCD panels will be 1080p. Next-gen DVDs will be 1080p, and has been mentioned in several articles, 720p material should look better on a 1080p display as it would avoid spatial aliasing effects. There are other potential uses for a 1080p display, such as a high-res monitor, for use as a games console, or or viewing digital camera photos. Obviously digital camera snaps will look better on a 1080p display than on a 720p one.

10. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SamirP, this is "Krishna". Please don't worry too much about 1080i vs 720p - I have seen all FOUR sets - the OPTOMA/THEMESCENE RD50, SAGEM Axium, TOSHIBA DLP 46WM48 and the Samsung SP46L3.........if you want to know more, reply to this.

11. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, re the whole HD3 vs HD2+ thing................ I have seen both the Samsung 50L7 and the 46L3 side-by-side.....both using HDMI source DVD players, showing the same DVDs (Matrix Reloaded)....... both have excellent images - and no - I can honestly say - that the HD3-based 46inch L3 was NOT worse than the L7 cool "pedestal" HD2+ Sammy!

Rather, I would comment on the picture this way:
    The 50L7 image was a more "stark" and sometimes, I'm sad to say, "artificial" looking one....
    Whereas the 46L3, due to it's incorporation of the Smooth Gen3/SmoothPicture(tm) technology (which the L7 does not have) - has a more "smoother", "film-like" quality to it - quite akin to a top of the range Panasonic Viera or Sony Plasma - but obviously a little sharper (well, it was on HDMI-DVD player input!).