Wait for HD before Sky+?

pakeen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have been on to Sky-there's desperation for you!!
The Sky man said:-
(1) The existing dish will be OK for "basic" Sky &/or HdSky+.
(2) Cabling neccessary for final set up-HDSky+ and basic Sky would require
(a) 3 cables from dish-2 for Sky+ &1 for "basic" Sky.
(b) Cable between HDSky+ box & TV for "Magic Eye".
(3)Costs:-
(a) £65 for "basic" Sky-even though dish & box only needed interconnet cable & set up.
(b)£99 for Sky+ including all installation-even though as (a)plus dish mod to quad.
(c) HD upgrade cost unknown.
He also said that all "live" transmissions were already HD-sport etc.

Any comments?? (I didn't haggle-just fact find)

Yeah that sounds about right:)

Same dish and LNB for SKY+ HD as it used now for the normal SKY+. Two feeds for SKY+ HD and a third for a standard digibox which is the norm now.
I hope the rep is right that the TVlink will be supported on the SKY+ HD but until we see a rear view of the damn box it's been speculation:)

Prices do seem to be variable depending upon how desperate SKY are and how well you can haggle without p*****g the CS rep off and then hanging up on you:)

By all accounts the footy is being filmed in HD and downcoverted to SD for broadcasting now which makes sense since SKY have said Premiership will be HD from launch.

Starburst said:
Yeah that sounds about right:)

Same dish and LNB for SKY+ HD as it used now for the normal SKY+. Two feeds for SKY+ HD and a third for a standard digibox which is the norm now.
I hope the rep is right that the TVlink will be supported on the SKY+ HD but until we see a rear view of the damn box it's been speculation:)

Prices do seem to be variable depending upon how desperate SKY are and how well you can haggle without p*****g the CS rep off and then hanging up on you:)

By all accounts the footy is being filmed in HD and downcoverted to SD for broadcasting now which makes sense since SKY have said Premiership will be HD from launch.

It certainly is, and what an improvement :)

Can you imagine what its going to be like?

av2diefor said:

Well I know how good movies and other TV programs look in HD but sport if fairly thin on the ground. The H.264 clip showing a bit of training looked beautiful but my PC ain't upto decoding mpeg4 HD on the fly.

I did see the Lingerie Bowl last year which looked pretty good, the game wasn't spectacular but the scenery certainly was :blush:

u got hta tclip still? lemme see it, i can cope with the decode on my puter, would be nice to hcek itou, even tho i dont wathsport that much

btw, am rahtr drunkatm, so be nice...hehe

av2diefor said:

Yes, expensive ! :D

Just had a Sky leaflet on the doormat which appeared to contradict some of what they said yesterday,so rang them again-(I just don't care!)
Another rep,(different gender-same accent),confirmed that the £65 charge was not true-installation with own eqpt would be free but they wouldn't give another free box if you've already had one.
So,as I currently understand what they are saying,
(1) You can just connect up an existing basic box to an existing dish & have Freesat or basic Sky-no cost,or perhaps £20 one off for Freesat.
(2)If you subsequently update to Sky+ in another room,(cinema),you can still use the old box for Freesat or Multiroom.For £95,Sky will supply the Sky+ box & do all the dish mods/cabling forSky+ free.
Now,you knowledgable lot,am I right or am I right???
By the way,the lassie said Thompsons would be producing the High Def. boxes &,although Sky don't seem to have much info,contacting Thompsons directly might give more info! Just a thought.
Anyway-any further comments?

pakeen said:
Just had a Sky leaflet on the doormat which appeared to contradict some of what they said yesterday,so rang them again-(I just don't care!)
Another rep,(different gender-same accent),confirmed that the £65 charge was not true-installation with own eqpt would be free but they wouldn't give another free box if you've already had one.
(1) You can just connect up an existing basic box to an existing dish & have Freesat or basic Sky-no cost,or perhaps £20 one off for Freesat.
(2)If you subsequently update to Sky+ in another room,(cinema),you can still use the old box for Freesat or Multiroom.For £95,Sky will supply the Sky+ box & do all the dish mods/cabling forSky+ free.
By the way,the lassie said Thompsons would be producing the High Def. boxes &,although Sky don't seem to have much info,contacting Thompsons directly might give more info! Just a thought.

It's Thomson :lesson:

Sorry-must have been the accent-probably be done for racism now. All right- I'll come quietly!!

I'm sure you know what they say about sarcasm! Oops- - just noticed which side of the border you live-no offence meant & none taken I trust.

pakeen said:

1) If you already have a dish then connecting your own digibox costs you nothing but you will need the £20 freesat card or only watch the FTA channels. You could go multiroom but there probably will be decent offers for SKY to supply and install that.
2) Prices for current customers upgrading to SKY+ are volatile and change it seems from phone call to phone call. Personally if I was offered a brand new PVR3 fully installed for under £100 then I would not complain.

Thomson:) have indeed been given the contract to produce the first generation SKY+ HD whose image has been floating around the night for a month or so.
SKY very rarely release specific information about yet to be launched services/hardware, when the time is right they will flood the media and net.

Thanks a lot-I think I'm starting to get a grip on this now. By the way I've just put up a new thread on which you may have a view-thanks anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom