Wait for Denon 3700H or get Marantz SR6015

John24ssj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need some help. I am making a move to a 9.2ch receiver to have full 5.2.4 setup. I was going to buy Denon 3700H from Peter Tyson but found out that currently it's out of stock and the new stock would only arrive some time in October šŸ˜­ . I also noticed that Marantz SR6015 is currently in stock and from what I gather is the 3700H equivalent. When reading Denon vs Marantz threads I got a mixed bag of opinions, what also looked odd is that Denon gets a 6 year warranty while Marantz only gets 5.
So my question is, should I wait for Denon 3700H or get Marantz SR6015 now?

id check if the marantz is after may manufacture ? to make sure has the new updated board ? otherwise will need the dongle ?

yes complete cousins under the skin. the marantz has a touch more music focus... its the marantz "music matters" mantra :) there is also a touch more warmth to the sound :)

greatly similar otherwise ...

Id go for the marantz ...as long as its the later stock ...

id check if the marantz is after may manufacture ? to make sure has the new updated board ? otherwise will need the dongle ?

yes complete cousins under the skin. the marantz has a touch more music focus... its the marantz "music matters" mantra :) there is also a touch more warmth to the sound :)

greatly similar otherwise ...

Id go for the marantz ...as long as its the later stock ...
I see, they are almost identical. What worried me was this review of the previous model: Marantz SR6014 AVR Review

I see, they are almost identical. What worried me was this review of the previous model: Marantz SR6014 AVR Review
oh thats ASR... best ignored :)

if get a chance take some time to check it out for self ..will soon tell you more and can make sure its what you want :)

The SR6015 doesnĀ“t have the new/better HDAM version which the 8015 uses so it will be identical to 6014 measurements wise. Whopping 18db higher SINAD (lower distortion+noise) on Denon. Marantz use slow roll off dac filter which does some harm. Look also the frequency response test which should be flat 20hz-20kHz, but starts rolling off from 10kHz and 2,5db down at 20kHz. No wonder it sounds "warmer". The sister company wanted to differentiate the sound, but i donĀ“t think there is any electrical engineer in the world who would see this as more transparent product with higher distortion and noise. Engineering wise Denon is much better.

Visually i would hate not to see the basic information on the front display. You got that tiny fish eye as display with Marantz.

I would wait for Denon stock, however John i wouldnĀ“t really buy anything yet as the prices must start to move as more competition comes and availability gets better. I know you like to tweak so the Onkyo RZ-50 or the NR7100 would suit you nicely with Dirac Live. WhatĀ“s the rush man? :) The X2600H will run your new center channel no worries. With the price drops coming later you could also eye for X4700H so you get the Auro 3D / Auro Upmixer and few other features.

The SR6015 doesnĀ“t have the new/better HDAM version which the 8015 uses so it will be identical to 6014 measurements wise. Whopping 18db higher SINAD (lower distortion+noise) on Denon. Marantz use slow roll off dac filter which does some harm. Look also the frequency response test which should be flat 20hz-20kHz, but starts rolling off from 10kHz and 2,5db down at 20kHz. No wonder it sounds "warmer". The sister company wanted to differentiate the sound, but i donĀ“t think there is any electrical engineer in the world who would see this as more transparent product with higher distortion and noise. Engineering wise Denon is much better.
i would expect an 8015 to be significantly several steps up.. you do get what you pay for and an 8015 is their flagship... the same goes with denon too.. as you go up you do get better :)

I've personally owned denon and marantz flagships and the difference in sonic signature is a lot more subtle than folks make out... and yes including the highly inflating measurements ... that if listen to the gear calibrated might be surprised to find nothing as much in it between them...

as to sonic signature.. downloading the $30 usd app lets you dial that in to hearts content.. want a flat roll off yeah tick that box... want a BBC dip tick that box too.. want some other whacky freq response hey dial that in too..what ever floats your boat :)

Visually i would hate not to see the basic information on the front display. You got that tiny fish eye as display with Marantz.
again i have run both marantz and denon about same number of years for both.. if you flip the front flap down on the marantz .. oh wow the same display as denon exists... otherwise there is also osd...which is lot more comprehensive and not squinting at a little LCD on either denon or marantz ...

I would wait for Denon stock, however John i wouldnĀ“t really buy anything yet as the prices must start to move as more competition comes and availability gets better. I know you like to tweak so the Onkyo RZ-50 or the NR7100 would suit you nicely with Dirac Live. WhatĀ“s the rush man? :) The X2600H will run your new center channel no worries. With the price drops coming later you could also eye for X4700H so you get the Auro 3D / Auro Upmixer and few other features.
Id also agree never need for rush... can take time and do also encourage to look up the tree... i myself see 4 series on denon or marantz 7015 as a good step up if desire more sonically ... get step in processing and a lot more ... again get what pay for.... and thats speaking without ASR blinkers :D

however John i wouldnĀ“t really buy anything yet as the prices must start to move as more competition comes and availability gets better

You know he's right... you and your itchy pocket šŸ¤£

Seriously though, can you hang on? You'll really regret the fact in 9 months time you could've got the next tier up (from any manufacturer) for the same or less money.

ALthough, in your defence, you can get some silly money selling the x2600 now that you won't be able to when things are more normal.

That broken (or stuck in Zone 2, no one knows) x4300 on ebay I told you about is up over Ā£300 with 3 hours to go! I mean the thing may not even work!

if you flip the front flap down on the marantz .. oh wow the same display as denon exists... otherwise there is also osd...which is lot more comprehensive and not squinting at a little LCD on either denon or marantz ...

Not on the SR6015, you get the fat man's belly button and a few buttons behind the flap.

He'd need the 7015 or higher. I've considered it before but, even behind a glass door, would I want to leave my flap open all the time? Ooer.

There is the remote app of course.

Not on the SR6015, you get the fat man's belly button and a few buttons behind the flap.

He'd need the 7015 or higher. I've considered it before but, even behind a glass door, would I want to leave my flap open all the time? Ooer.
Id always suggest the 7015/denon 4 series and above if can afford it ... I never look at the little display apart from perhaps a glance at volume at time. or input... anything else a quick flick of audio info pops all that up on the screen :D much bigger and far easier to read :)
FDCF5D7E-A754-4B45-B127-AD8E23C86434_1_201_a.jpeg

as far as flap up or down is a choice ... personally when run projector i turn the display right off :) it has a great feature where only comes on when use it ... less ambient light in the room :D and can use the osd again if want anything more info wise...

There is the remote app of course.

indeed that too... :)

I've never understood the complaint about the small display on Marantz receivers. A product primarily designed for viewing video through so you have the onscreen display.

Even if it had a display like the Denon why would you get up and wander over to stare at this tiny lcd screen rather than just pop the OSD up? Or just use the app, or the built in Web settings page?

For those using tv audio there is no osd :)
Yep 90% of my receivers use is with eARC and I only see the volume through the display on the receiver.

It's just such a bummer that the market is so bad currently :( It looks like the shortages might last for a while as well :(

For those using tv audio there is no osd :)

if not using OSD there is also the app options :)

Yep 90% of my receivers use is with eARC and I only see the volume through the display on the receiver.

is that a problem for you ? what info would like to see if want to see more than vol on dial :)

It's just such a bummer that the market is so bad currently :( It looks like the shortages might last for a while as well :(
its just supply and demand. more folks are stuck at home with covid and watching more... there is demand for new range(now problems resolved) and then supply chain issues limiting supply...

I honestly wouldnt stress on some of the things here... if can check out item in question yourself :) how you find it and whether it matches needs for outlay is all that matters. regardless of any of our opinions here and any reviews and such (other folks opinions) . if happy with that ever looking at get it :)

I also use eARC a lot, but the volume display isn't really an issue as I use my ears to judge how loud something is and not by looking at a number šŸ˜…

I also use eARC a lot, but the volume display isn't really an issue as I use my ears to judge how loud something is and not by looking at a number šŸ˜…
I've learned the volumes I like for each source, so when I open an app I just quickly set the volume to it and move on compared to trying to match things to my ears. I know that's lazy but it's the luxury I allow myself šŸ˜œ

if not using OSD there is also the app options :)

is that a problem for you ? what info would like to see if want to see more than vol on dial :)

its just supply and demand. more folks are stuck at home with covid and watching more... there is demand for new range(now problems resolved) and then supply chain issues limiting supply...

I honestly wouldnt stress on some of the things here... if can check out item in question yourself :) how you find it and whether it matches needs for outlay is all that matters. regardless of any of our opinions here and any reviews and such (other folks opinions) . if happy with that ever looking at get it :)
It's quite a bit of money and I guess I just want to get the best bang for the buck withouth needing to wait forever to actually get something.

I should be getting a new center speaker coming in this week hopefully followed by new L+R and was hoping to get a better receiver that can do proper EQ as my room is rather awful and has terrible spike that 2600H is not doing anything about at all :(

All my video devices are connected directly to my TV so the AVR display is extremely useful. I also find that watching/listening to different sources and broadcasts needs the settings adjusting for best audio so the AVR display is essential.

Now I'm wondering if it's just worth getting 4700H and call it day

You'll not be disappointed with the X4700. It's a fine AV amp for home cinema and TV. Will also give you to option to expand external amplification should you wish to do so in the future.

I've learned the volumes I like for each source, so when I open an app I just quickly set the volume to it and move on compared to trying to match things to my ears. I know that's lazy but it's the luxury I allow myself šŸ˜œ

I dont know if have explored source level ..this might help you... you can set and it will retrieve for each source just as like it ... so dont have to fiddle with every source level each time you select :)

It's quite a bit of money and I guess I just want to get the best bang for the buck withouth needing to wait forever to actually get something.
this is why SO important to go check out for self... you see... no matter what you look at ... someone will come along and tell you theres better ... for some reason... theres always better... but whats most important is you get something that hits the spot for you... sound quality vs dollars :)

I should be getting a new center speaker coming in this week hopefully followed by new L+R and was hoping to get a better receiver that can do proper EQ as my room is rather awful and has terrible spike that 2600H is not doing anything about at all :(
this is where the audyssey app for $30usd will be invaluable ! can easily fire out and EQ out a spike :) also adjust it to just your liking sonically :)

if something can afford ... why not :) you definitely as i said prior get better as go up the denon - or marantz range :) but here too... if can demo... see for self if the extra cash on this model up is worth it to you :)

there are junk separates I wouldn't get over quality AVRs... just as there are flagship avrs that Id get rather than junk separates...

cant generalise in way as saying separates are always better than AVRs... just as in 2ch Id never say a 2ch separates are always better than 2ch separates... there are a lot of budget separates and a lot of "super integrated" amps ...

there are junk separates I wouldn't get over quality AVRs... just as there are flagship avrs that Id get rather than junk separates...

cant generalise in way as saying separates are always better than AVRs... just as in 2ch Id never say a 2ch separates are always better than 2ch separates... there are a lot of budget separates and a lot of "super integrated" amps ...

Even a basic multi channel Poweramp will outclass all bit flagship avrs

That plus a tonewinner at-300 will offer upgrade potential more cleaner power etc the later add higher quality amp for front three then use that for Atmos (need eight channel though)

Even a basic multi channel Poweramp will outclass all bit flagship avrs

That plus a tonewinner at-300 will offer upgrade potential more cleaner power etc the later add higher quality amp for front three then use that for Atmos (need eight channel though)
For 5.2.4 that would get rather costly it looks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom