1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wait for avp700/p1000 or buy avr300 now?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by paulst10, Aug 29, 2005.

1. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    hi, im not sure whether to buy an avr300 now ( as i can afford this now ) or wait and save up for the avp700/p1000 combo? . im using B&Ws 704s, htm7, ds6 s3s with a mission sub (soon to be replaced by a pv1) so i really want to start to get the best out of my speakers i can afford, im using a pioneer AX3i in a 5.1 setup with the front L+R biamped which gave them a bit of a boost. with a dv79 for dvd+cd playback.

could you wait? :confused:

2. gostan

gostan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I waited for the AVP-700 and I am glad that I did. There are some direct 300 v 700 comparisons on AVSforum and it appears that there are some other minor differences between the two, making the 700 worth the $$ upgrade. The AVR-300 is a great value, but an external amp will do more justice to your B&W speakers as well as future upgradeability. I am still waiting to make a decision on a new amplifier (running 2 channel only now on my Aragon 8008) as I think that I can do better than the P1000 for the $$.

If the additional cost of the separates is not an issue, then I would be willing and able to wait, as that insures that you will not make a mistake. I hope that this response assists you.

3. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    yeh , thanks for the reply, although im tempted to get something now i would be better off waiting.

could i connect an avp700 to my ax3 via the multi channel inputs ????

4. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Not that this should in anyway sway you but the resale value of Arcam products is very good at the mo.

I have just sold on my 300 and upgraded to the combo and i am very pleased that i did.

The 300 is a fantastic product and is an excellent 'starting point' IMHO

5. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    if i can connect an avp700 to my ax3 via the multi ch inputs, i think id rather do that and save for a 7 ch power amp... that way im getting a better performance now and even better still later. :thumbsup:
    in the ax3 manual it says if you are using an external dolby dig. or dts decoder, plug it into the multi ch inputs... so im pretty sure i can... i will ring audio t in the morning.

6. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It would be possible no doubt, but I doubt u'll hear a difference as you'll still be passing throught the pre/pro stage of the pioneer unit. Effectively u are placing the avp700 unit between ur current source and ur pioneer receiver. Making that extra hop will only lower the quality, not raise it under any situation, if i understand it correcly.

7. Tamas

Tamas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I tried the 300 before purchasing the 700. I preferred the 700 and keepeing the amplifiers separate from the pre/pro.

Regards, Tom

8. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    i have rang arcam and audio t and they both say they would be very suprised if it didnt make a dramatic improvement... arcam said the reason they made the avp700 was so it gives people who are using recievers the oportunity to upgrade to bigger and better things without selling the reciever.

dv79 - coaxial - avp700 - 3 pairs of phonos - multi ch inputs on ax3 (ax3 will be just powering the speakers as the processor will be decoding the sound... i hope i am correct :clap:

9. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think there's somthing not quite right there.

I would presume that with that combination you will not bypass the AX3 processing totally cause you'll have to control the volume both in the AVP and AX3 so there will be processing in the pioneer... not a complete bypass directly to the amplification...

10. cpd

cpd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't quite follow. If you upgraded to a processor and separates, why would you keep the receiver (except maybe for another room)? I would expect them to say something like, "upgrade to bigger and better things without spending more than the receiver".

Chris

11. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    im confused :) . i think they meant that you could get on the upgrade path by buying a processor but still keep the reciever and use them both untill you can afford a poweramp.... they did say it would be like connecting a sacd player to the multich inputs (when you do this the dacs in the player are being used and your reciever is just amplifing the sound)
    i admit it sounds a bit suspect, but i am curious as to whether i can do it as i can afford the avp700 now ....