Wait for a 4k Projector or buy a replacement 1080p

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Manhattan24, May 3, 2016.

1. Manhattan24

Manhattan24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have just recently updated my ageing sound system and am now looking to replace the projector and screen in my home cinema. I am struggling to come to a decision because 4k is on the horizon but my screen is only 92”. So the question is, should I wait for 4k to come down in price and become more established or opt for a higher end 1080p projector? Will the benefits of 4k with the higher resolution, wider colour space and HDR make a noticeable improvement on a modest sized screen over 1080p?

The 1080p projectors I have been looking at are the Sony VPL-HW65B and the more expensive JVC X5000, is there a big gap between the two when it comes to picture and build quality? I want to make sure that I get something that doesn’t suffer with panel misalignment issues as I watch a lot of black and white films and my current projector exhibits pink and green imperfections near the top of the screen. I also want to avoid the dreaded dust blobs.

As my screen is a manual pull down I thought of getting a Grandview Cyber fixed, would this be a good choice or are there better options out there? I am restricted to 92” because of the room dimensions. Would 4k require a particular type of screen?

I have a budget of £4-4,500 to spend in total.

My current setup is:
    Projector - Panasonic AE4000E
    Screen – 92” Grandview manual pull-down
    Blu-ray player - Oppo BDP 83
    Marantz AV7702 Pre and MM7055N Power Amp
    Focal Aria speakers
    Rel S/2 Sub

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,295
    Image size - it all depends how close you sit, sit too far back and you will see little if any difference due to the higher resolution.

Upgrade - I find everything else is more important than the actual 'resolution', deeper blacks, improved motion processing, better colour accuracy is what I would be looking for.

Joe

3. Manhattan24

Manhattan24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I am really looking for the best image quality within my budget, but am still not sure whether to wait and see what the new technology brings in the next few years, my existing projector still has a thousand hours left on it.

Does anyone have any experience with the models and screen I mentioned in the first post?

Also I am looking to put fabric on the walls stretched over thin wooden sheets. Could anyone recommend some cheapish material that would do a good job?

Cheers.

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    you will always be chasing the next thing, 8K out in 2/3 years time, who knows what after that.

5. Manhattan24

Manhattan24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is now the time to commit to a technology that may shortly be superceded?

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Id say no, what is wrong with your current setup ? What do you notice is not as perfect as youd like ?

7. Manhattan24

Manhattan24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main issue I have with the projector is that when watching black and white films, there are distracting green and pink patches towards the top right of the screen which I think are caused by the LCD panel misalignment. Also the image seems a bit soft, even after adjusting the lens, perhaps I'm not doing it correctly and should use a specific test pattern.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,295
    Projector - you have highlighted already that the 'headline' specs the marketing boys and girls love don't tell the full story. Rather than look for a '4K' projector look for something which produces a decent image and has a decent range of user adjustments.

Calibration - it may be (is very likely) that your current projector can be adjusted to produce a better image. Two choices - learn how to DIY it or call a Pro and ask for advice on what they are likely to achieve with your unit.

Convergent AV - Audio / Visual / Consultancy - Calibration

Test patterns - lots of options around to get you started on an 'eye ball' setup, TestCard ProHD - J.S. Technology Ltd

Joe

9. Manhattan24

Manhattan24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have already calibrated the projector a few times with an i1display pro and hcfr, setting the gamma, greyscale, primary and secondary colours etc. Unfortunately I am pretty sure the colour blotches are issues with the projector itself.

Think I will wait a while and see what JVC bring to the table in the near future.

10. Jimboaleeno

Jimboaleeno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, i dont think you have had your question answered at all? What you need to do is to go and demo your own against 4k, Id stay with your for another 6 months until there more 4k material as unless the source disk is 4k your not going to see an amazing difference. I still have the PTAE -2000, I install home cinema and installed the PTA-E 8000 for my friend, it really is much better at producing blacks and therefore has more depth of field, is also more vibrant and games look much better especially from older consoles, the up-scaling will be better on these new models for any older formats you may have. Im a huge 3D fan and its such a shame to see it die as projects and good 3d source material on the right projector in HD is a great experience. The PTA-E provides a super image with 3d material.
    If there was a lot of 4k stuff around id consider one my self , but there is not, so maybe its best to look at the PTA-E 8000 as new there only £1400, and then compare this to a 4k projector

11. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    I plumped to get a new (but bargain) 1080p projector and a 65" 4k led screen for the next few years and will replace the projector with 4k when they settle down in terms of price and HDR ... currently with a 106" screen and sit around 14 feet away from both ... dropping some atmos speakers in the ceiling this summer so will have 7.2.4 ... the Roku4 gives me my 4k sources and will get an Oppo UHD player when released later this year ... am v pleased with the quality of my Epson 7200 (£1800 new but got an unwanted unboxed one for £1000 from a forum member) ... have dialled in suggested settings for both and look really nice - will get them both calibrated when room is finished :)

12. Manhattan24

Manhattan24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I think holding on to my existing projector for a while longer is the best route to take and hopefully the more expensive 1080p models will come down significantly in price as soon as 4K becomes established and I will be able to compare the two formats with a wider selection of material when the time comes.

It is definitely difficult deciding when to buy into new technology, with concerns of marginal improvements dependent on viewing distance from the screen or if a higher end HD projector could outperform an entry level 4K, things start to get confusing. There are so few native 4K discs available at present and I bet the authoring of the films will improve over time like the evolution of Blurays since being introduced.

13. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,059
    It's definitely tough deciding but I am sticking with my Sony hw40es til the Xbox Scorpio comes out. There will be plenty of 4K projectors on the market by then and hopefully the price will not be too bad on them. It has already come down a lot in the last year. Mind you I'm happy with the picture on the Sony so it's not like I'm suffering in the meantime. If you're not happy with yours it is a bit tougher.

There may not be much native 4K stuff but the upscaling of 1080p content is what interests me as from what I read that is good on decent projectors.