Wadia cd16. Add a pre amp?

T

The Duke

I am told that if I add a pre amp that the Wadia cd 16 , she sounds better.
Is that correct?
If so, should I be looking for a particular type of pre amp?
Thanks
Tim

This very much depends on a few factors.....

1.The quality of any partnering pre-amp being up to the same or higher level than the source.

2.The output stage of the Wadia being either unable to drive the input stage of a given power amp adequately,or of poorer performance.

3.IIRC,the volume control of certain CD players,and I think the Wadia included,worked in the digital domain,and did so by truncating the bit length,resulting in decreasing sound quality at very low volume settings.

If this is true,then using a separate preamp may well be beneficial,but you would need to be certain of this first.

You could certainly try auditioning a few decent preamps,and would need to be looking at those from the likes of Krell,Levinson,Conrad-Johnson etc to get similar levels of performance.

I've known a couple of people with Wadias. Both tried running directly and I believe that both moved on to use a dedicated pre-amp.
As already stated, the problem is that you're going to need to spend a good deal of dosh to get the potential improvement.
Something that is synergistic with your power amp is going to be the most essential element.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom