1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waahhhh! It's all so confusing.... help!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BaldyHead, Sep 27, 2003.

1. BaldyHead

BaldyHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys... I need help.

I want to buy a new TV. A 32" flat screen is my basic requirement, but I have become bogged down in the other options (50/100hz, signal processing or not etc).

(It doesn't help that the wife just keeps saying "just go to a shop and buy one!"... I've tried explaining that it's not that simple, but there you go...).

My current TV is an ancient Panasonic which I've had for about 10 years. (I only recently got rid of my Panasonic VCR that I'd had for about 12 years after my 3 year old mangled it...).

My budget is no greater than £750 - so what can you suggest? I've looked at Panasonic, Sony, JVC etc, but just when I think I have made my mind up, I read something on this forum that changes it!

Thanks... hope you can help!

2. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nearly all large widescreen tellys have some issue or other. Even mega expensive kit like plasma screen have problems!

At the end of the day it boils down to what you can live with or not. I got a Sony Wega about 2 years ago and aside from some geometry settings (which I learned to do myself) and the odd bit of 100Hz weirdness (fast moving credits are unreadable for example) i'm very pleased with the image quality. DVD's look fantasic. Sky looks good mostly. It doesn't make a noticeable buzzing sound unless I put my ear to it. It sometimes gets discolouration on the corners but it isn't often that noticeable.

If I'd known about this forum back when I bought mine, I might still be deliberating!

BTW have you considered projectors at all? If you saved up a little bit more you could have a 10 foot wide image on the living room wall. They make 42" plasmas look a bit tiddly :D

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As owenw says, there pretty much isn't such a thing as the perfect TV. They all suffer from something or another.

Really, the only thing you can do is spend your own time window-shopping. And find out what things matter and what don't.

But do bear in mind that the majority of retailers have their TVs connected by imbeciles to defective signal amplifiers, running off a badly positioned roof aerial. Never showing you a clean RGB signal off a decent DVD.

4. BaldyHead

BaldyHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys... I think I'm just going to have to trawl around my local establishments armed with a couple of DVD's and check a few out. My preference would probably be to go for a set that isn't bogged down with too much technology, as these signal processing chips seem to cause more problems than they solve.

It was as so simple before widescreen......:(

5. dragon77

dragon77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a JVC R32 highly delighted with it exceptional sound with subwoofer and picture.