1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W800 now? Or wait for N91?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Gemini-Phoenix, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have been eyeing up the W800 and N91. Only thing is, both Sony and Nokia are being a bit sketchy over a few of the details. Mainly storage capacity...

Now Sony have screwed me before. I currently use an S700i, but was disappointed that the maximum capacity Memory Stick I could use with it was only a 128MB Duo, nothing higher, not even Memory Stick Pro's.

What is the ultimate capacity of the W800 - Can it support some of the higher capacity Memory Sticks, including the Pro's?

I initially wanted the W800, but then Nokia came along and (Proverbally) waved the N91 in front of me. Thing is with Nokia, they don't seem to want to give me any clear specifications.

Now they state that it will have "Upto" 4GB memory, but they are being unclear to whether it will be in the form of memory cards or an actual internal hard drive (Which is what I have been led into believing up to this point)

If it is indeed the latter, then will there be a few models to choose from which will offer maybe 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB memory (Hence the "Upto" 4GB part)?

The N91 has a lot going for it. Only thing that lets it down is the fact it is a Nokia, and I really hate using the Nokia interface, and prefer the Sony one.

I am perfectly happy at the moment to carry aroung my S700i and a separate walkman (HD3) ~ Especially as how I have managed to de-restrict my Walkman (Thanks to these boards!)... But... A 2MB camera and the potential to hold 1,000 MP3's on my phone is kind of appealing, plus the fact I will be able to use a *normal* pair of earphones with the N91 as well, and not have to put up with sub-standard hands free phones...

2. sdu1975

sdu1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    and is basically the same phone as a w800i. I'm currently using a 1gb mem stick duo and is fine.

Have approx 512 mb of mp3s and have changed the settings to store pictures and films taken with the camera to store them on the stick also and everything works fine.

Can't comment on the N9x series although a quick google will bring up forums where it's being discussed as it has been released in Asia.

The K750i is a brilliant phone and will surely be had quite cheaply now as the w800i has been released.

I just want to know if where I can get w800i headphones for my K750i because they're better :smashin:

3. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So do you have a W800 or an S700i? What are you using the 1GB Stick in?

4. sdu1975

sdu1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a K750i. (as per title).

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Carphone warehouse have the N91 stated as 'Jan 06' which from past experience of Nokia could mean anytime next year, I'd not bother waiting if I was you.
    I do have a problem with 'SE' though, I hate the fact that memory sticks (Sony) cost more than 'SD' / MMC cards which are many by many more manufacturers.

Steve.

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Sony Mem sticks are reasonable prices to be onest

I mean £35 + about £8 postage on Ebay for a 1GB stick (Sandisk)

I can remember when 1GB was like £200, so even though there abit more than MMC and SD i dont think there priced too bad

7. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That is cheap. I paid £35 for a 128MB Sony one. SanDisk's do tend to be ultra cheap compared to the Sony ones though for some reason, it's a wonder Sony actually sell any to be honest.

I remember when 1GB Memory Stick Duo's used to cost upwards of £500!!! That was a fair few years ago though, and what initially put me off the technology... For a while.

Even now the prices aren't exactly cheap cheap, and if you were spending that amount of money on a Stick, you be gutted if you were to lose it, or have it stolen whilst inside your phone / music player / PSP...

Nokia are sods for puting release dates back. Is it any wonder why I stick to Sony's. I'd probably have had more Nokia's over the years if they would for once stick to a date. The N91 was supposed to be out October.

I think I can wait though. The S700i is not really a bad phone, and isn't really that far down from the W800. Besides, I hate orange! ;)

8. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I got the W800i and am liking it so far. I was thinking about the N91 too but I feel it will be too bulky for me anyway. The main difference between the K750i and W800i from what I understand is that the latter comes with 512mb stick.

I read somewhere that the W800i is meant to sound better but I think this is bull and they sound the same. Also it can take up to 4gb mem stick so you could make it the same capacity and the N91 anway (unless Nokia up the specs to 20gb)

The earphones are great, very similar to the EX71's. I cant tell if they're the same because I've been using the Panasonic buds recently and they're more clear, if less on bass. The good thing is that Sony have included a 3.5mm jack input for you to use any earphones you want.

I have to say that sound quality is very good but I NEED to increase the volume (hopefully there will be a way round this soon) as Im used to pumping sounds with my better sounding Cowon iaudio M3. I think increasing sound will increase sound quality too, there is also a 5 band equaliser as well as some extra bass/treble settings.

A good sign so far (I only got the phone on Friday!) is that battery life looks better than the K700i. I hated using functions on it only for the battery to die out later on in the day. SE seem to REALLY want you to consider this your main music player as I've been playing with it all weekend and am still over 50% battery!!!

Thumbstick is much more solid than the K700i too, although pic quality is not a huge jump up in quality I was expecting considering its now 2m pixels.

The best thing for me is that you can finaly change SMS tones!!! I got the Transformers theme background and ringtone and now at last the sound effect for texts!

Overall a happy bunny hahahahahah

9. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bash have you tried off-loading any pictures to a computer and viewing through that? I've been really impressed by the quality of the images off my K750i. I've attached one of a fire we had on the beach scaled down to 800x600, I think the images are much better than my mates K700.

For those that are after some better headphones for the K750i there is a guide somewhere on the internet about how to change them yourself. All you need is a soldering iron if I remember right. I'll try and find the guide and post back here

Kev

Attached Files:

10. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    Actualy, I havent got round to taking proper snaps yet. Im using the data cable to put pics in.

Is anyone else having difficulty in synchronising their phone to PC? I've managed it once, but since restarting the PC its not picking it up again!! It recognises it as an external drive in My Computer but not for other utilities.

Must also add that the supplied earphones are decent but not as good as the Sony EX71 buds, however Im using my Panny buds and the music definetly sounds better!