Question W7 to W10 upgrade: CRT screen refresh rate problem

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Judging by the many problem posts I've read this week, I got of lightly when I carried out the free upgrade from my existing W7 Pro 32bit to W10 Pro 32bit (v1909) a couple of days ago - still a nightmare process though, strangely inconsistent, and two days I'll never get back. Anyway...

I would really appreciate guidance on one particular problem - screen refresh rate. It set itself at 60Hz and doesn't offer any other refresh rates (on W7, I used a 75Hz refresh rate and that was just fine). I appreciate nearly everyone will be using LCD screens these days where refresh rates aren't much of an issue but I prefer to use my trusty old Dell CRT screen and not contribute to landfill (i.e. only a fraction would likely be recycled) so I wonder if it might be possible to somehow set the refresh rate higher? Whether I try to set the refresh rate through Windows settings or through the Intel HD graphics control panel, the only option I see is 60p Hz whereas in W7, I had several higher rate choices. As far as I remember, the monitor driver is the same as it's always been so why the limited rates in W10?

Monitor drivers are old but up to date, evidently. Thanks.

I appreciate nearly everyone will be using LCD screens these days where refresh rates aren't much of an issue - I mean no disrecpect but I really got a good laugh out of that having just spent £400 on a monitor entirely because of how it deals with higher and varible refresh rates.. priceless.

On the back of that I will help you if I can - that setting in windows 10 can be changed but it sounds like you have already tried to change it correctly - here is a guide in case it has anything you have missed.

failing that what model of monitor is it ? Also might be worth checking the graphics card drivers are OK in case they are doing something weird after the upgrade.

Last edited:
appreciate nearly everyone will be using LCD screens these days where refresh rates aren't much of an issue - I mean no disrecpect but I really got a good laugh out of that having just spent £400 on a monitor entirely because of how it deals with higher and variable refresh rates.. priceless

Do you get flicker with a static image on a LCD or OLED screen at 60Hz? Or is this more about smoother moving images (gaming or whatever)?

You're right - I've tried the usual methods but was offered only the one option - 60Hz. Even Intel's tech support couldn't offer a solution, but, for anyone in the same boat, I stumbled across a solution which involved altering a section of the registry (Ooer!). Works perfectly though and I'm now running with a 85Hz refresh rate which gives flicker-free static images on an old CRT screen.

For reference
If anyone else is going through this, here's a link to the article and it involves clearing the display cache:

its a gaming thing, when rendering the game at higher that 60 frames per second the monitor needs to both be able to cope with this - so I have a 144hz screen and have some tech to keep up when it quickly changes as games render some bits faster than others depending on whats on screen. So you require a higher overall hz and a varible rate management system ( usually refered to as G-sync or Free-Sync depending on the tech used)

This is a large part of the difference between for example a £150 monitor and a £300+ gaming one that has similar size and resolution.

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

I stumbled across a solution which involved altering a section of the registry (Ooer!). Works perfectly though and I'm now running with a 85Hz refresh rate which gives flicker-free static images on an old CRT screen.

Update: Unfortunately, this fix only worked once. When I turned the PC back on the next day, the screen refresh rate was back at 60Hz with no other refresh rates offered. Tried the above 'fix' again but it didn't work and hasn't since. Weird, but that's W10 for you.

Final Update: Screen resolution continued to randomly switch between 60Hz (unacceptable) and 85Hz (acceptable), maybe twice a week or so. Bizarre! However, I finally found a solution to my W10 problems (incl. an old printer I couldn't connect, occasional unresponsive episodes - the PC, not me - not to mention the woefully inept W10 operating system)....

...UBUNTU saved the day. Within 10 mins of starting the UBUNTU trial (from USB memory stick), I had the screen refresh rate set to 85Hz - and it has stayed ther, and the old printer was setup and working. Simples. This is how computing should be.

Was the correct monitor model detected? And how was it connected? 15 pin VGA?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom