• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

W5500 - light sensor fault...?

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Hi ... new memeber so go easy on me please.... ;)

Upgraded to this tv on Friday - 37" - and am very impressed - especially when running the 360 in 1080p now.... only I actually think there is a fault and am wondering whether anyone else has come across the following issue.

Since it was out of the box and before doing and calibration, every 30 sec or so the tv would flick to a brighter screen for a while.... then flick back to a darker setting - as if the backlight was increasing greatly and then back to normal. I've since turned all eco settings and light sensor off, and all other dynamic settings that might alter the brightness... off - but the issue is still there. I've also update the firmware.... no change.

Could this be a light sensor issue?

Thanks for any advice!
Raf

xCAUSALITYx

Standard Member
Hi,

Just a couple of questions and then I will try to give you a resolution:

• Does this happen on every source input or is this only on one source like DTV, HDMI 360, Component 360....?
  • What is the "Scene" selection are you are using?
  • What is the "Adv Contrast Enhancer" selection are you using?
  • What firmware version are you using?
  • Does the standby light flash at all when you first power it on, this is important so please check it carefully?

Last edited:

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Well I did some testing this evening and think I may have got to the root of the issue.

I timed the intervals between the screen going bright and then dark (by bright I mean as if the backlight had been turned on to max) - and got some variable results depending on which setting the backlight was on. Changes to any other settings didn't affect the problem.

On "min" - the screen would go bright every 20sec for 5 sec then back to normal settings.... then repeat..

On 1 - the screen would go bright every 26sec for 5 sec then back to normal settings.... then repeat..

On 2 - the screen would go bright every 41 sec for 5 sec then back to normal settings.... then repeat...

On 3 - there is no issue...

On 4 - there is no issue...

I didn't try 5 or upwards after that...

So it seems that it's to do with the setting of the backlight rather than any other dynamic setting (as they are all off!). The above results were reproduced with the light sensors covered as well - and same results...

Really odd - question is do I change the tv? I can live with keeping it on backlight 3 setting and adjusting other settings to compensate....

Anyone else come accross this issue or give any insight?

Cheers
Raf

EDIT: ABOVE was posted before seeing your reply ! - Sorry... In answer to your questions

- it happens on every source input
- Scene is general (noticed that it didn't do it in Theatre mode - and checked Theatre mode settings against my settings) - spotted that Theatre puts backlight to 5 - so put it down to "min" and the problem started again... that's when I thought to go through all the backlight settings testing them to see what happens - as per above.
- ACE is off or low (happens in both cases)
- most up to date firmware which I downloaded on Saturday 1.570EA
- Standbylight doesn't flash - just turned off and on - nothing - but did notice that the screen was bright (same as when the issue is) for first 5 sec after turning on - then back to normal.(backlight setting 3)

Last edited:

xCAUSALITYx

Standard Member
Ok, something doesn't seem right....!

Personally I would restore the whole TV to factory defaults and apply the settings I posted and set the scene to "Auto" as this will set optimal settings for whatever source is connected.

The reason I asked about the Adv Contrast is because this feature automatically changes the backlight and the contrast to suit the picture your viewing.

One last question: When you first set the TV up did you set it to "Home" or "Shop" mode?

I would then monitor it over the next couple of days, if the problem persists I would look at getting the TV replaced as you may have a faulty unit, as the backlight seems to struggle at a low setting.

Thanks

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Thanks for the feedback - I'll give restoring to factory defaults a go after work tomorrow - with your settings and scene to auto. When first turned on I made sure to set it to home mode.

Another thing I've noticed - even though I'm on backlight setting of 3 on every input now (i.e. no cycling of the backlight problem as described above) - when switching inputs - the backlight again goes to the brightest setting for the first 5 seconds from when that input is selected..... then settles back to normal.

Really hoping I won't have to change it - not sure if the Asda I got it from has any units left as they only had 3 when I picked it up after they halved the price on Thursday... !!!

Anyway, thanks again, I'll let you now how I get on tomorow...

xCAUSALITYx

Standard Member
Thanks for the feedback - I'll give restoring to factory defaults a go after work tomorrow - with your settings and scene to auto. When first turned on I made sure to set it to home mode.

Another thing I've noticed - even though I'm on backlight setting of 3 on every input now (i.e. no cycling of the backlight problem as described above) - when switching inputs - the backlight again goes to the brightest setting for the first 5 seconds from when that input is selected..... then settles back to normal.

Really hoping I won't have to change it - not sure if the Asda I got it from has any units left as they only had 3 when I picked it up after they halved the price on Thursday... !!!

Anyway, thanks again, I'll let you now how I get on tomorow...

Hi,

When you select a different target input the TV is doing what its supposed to do, it will try and set the best optimal settings for that input so when you select it will choose the best settings and then switch to it.

The things you have to watch with this series is that they have change 2 sets of settings at the same time....The Scene setting and the Picture settings, if one of them is to much you just need to change it back to what you want.

Try the Factory default settings and then monitor it.

Good luck...! :thumbsup:

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Did a factory settings reset tonight and applied settings as per your other post. I can't however select "Auto" scene as my VM box is connected to AV1 by a crappy scart lead - and tv greys out the "auto" option in scene select and displays that it's not available in current input mode.

So far so good - no regular change in the backlight as per the issue described - but then again - it is set to backlight 3 - as per the results of my post above - so I didn't expect it to have an issue. :rolleyes:

However (and this was BEFORE the factory reset this evening) I had the 360 on for a bit watching a bit of a film (360 connected via component) - and on backlight setting of 3 - it was having the same issue!!! :( Flicked it up to 4 - same (just different time interval) - up ot 5.... issue stopped.

I have not as yet tried the 360 since the factory reset...

xCAUSALITYx

Standard Member
Did a factory settings reset tonight and applied settings as per your other post. I can't however select "Auto" scene as my VM box is connected to AV1 by a crappy scart lead - and tv greys out the "auto" option in scene select and displays that it's not available in current input mode.

So far so good - no regular change in the backlight as per the issue described - but then again - it is set to backlight 3 - as per the results of my post above - so I didn't expect it to have an issue. :rolleyes:

However (and this was BEFORE the factory reset this evening) I had the 360 on for a bit watching a bit of a film (360 connected via component) - and on backlight setting of 3 - it was having the same issue!!! :( Flicked it up to 4 - same (just different time interval) - up ot 5.... issue stopped.

I have not as yet tried the 360 since the factory reset...

Hi,

Try changing the output setting of the VM stb and then see if its still "greyed out", the only other options are: Upgrade to a HDMI input from a HD source like Freesat-HD/Sky-HD or VM-HD or you could try connecting the VM STB to a source that can upscale via HDMI.

Also, on the flicker/changing backlight issue, if the Factory Defaults reset didn't work - Disconnect everything from the TV, all sources including the the aerial, now check the image and push the backlight up to 3>4>5 and see if the problem is still there....if the problem is still there contact Sony Support to see if they can determine what the issue is, personally I think you may a fault with the Panel/Backlight/Inverter or the Video MB.

If the problem is not there after disconnecting everything, then connect 1 source at a time and push the backlight setting up again from 3>4>5 - Start with the aerial, if the problem is not there connect the next source, if the problem comes back with the next source connected, take that source out and the aerial out, then connect the second source back in, if the problem comes back again then it could be that source that is producing the problem or the connection into the Video MB.

Other than the above I think we have covered all the bases.

Let me know how you get on....!

Thanks

Last edited:

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice mate - I'll try to have a go tonight (when I get a chance to play with the telly when it's my turn!! :rolleyes: )

RE: VM - yes at some point I plan to go to SkyHD or VMHD so it should solve the unbearble scart issue...

RE: Changing backlight - I don't have an aeriel plugged in - just watch tv via VM.

I'll try all the other inputs though - when you say "Disconnect everything from the TV, all sources including the the aerial, now check the image and push the backlight up to 3>4>5" - do you mean just watch the screen on the different selected inputs when there is nothing there...? i.e. no image becasue there is no input plugged in...

I guess so... otherwise I'm gonna look like a bit of a fool! ;)

I'll let you know!
Cheers
Raf

xCAUSALITYx

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice mate - I'll try to have a go tonight (when I get a chance to play with the telly when it's my turn!! :rolleyes: )

RE: VM - yes at some point I plan to go to SkyHD or VMHD so it should solve the unbearble scart issue...

RE: Changing backlight - I don't have an aeriel plugged in - just watch tv via VM.

I'll try all the other inputs though - when you say "Disconnect everything from the TV, all sources including the the aerial, now check the image and push the backlight up to 3>4>5" - do you mean just watch the screen on the different selected inputs when there is nothing there...? i.e. no image becasue there is no input plugged in...

I guess so... otherwise I'm gonna look like a bit of a fool! ;)

I'll let you know!
Cheers
Raf

Yes you are correct, just a complete blank screen, what you could do is put a picture on USB stick and see if that flickers, that way you will notice if does start playing up.

Good luck......and I hope you get the remote back later....lol :rotfl:

Thanks

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Ran the test tonight - removed all inputs, turned the tv on and selected component first. Set it to min back light to see if it would replicate previous results. Within seconds, the backlight went on to what I've now come to realise is "max" and then back to my setting.

I progressed through the settings - 1, 2, etc.... each on giving the same result. In fact I got all the way up to 8 and the same was happeneing. If I'm honest - me adjusting the backlinght gradually up with no input, didn't seem to increase the backlight at all. Usually you would see a slight increase in the lightness of the screen with each incrament. This did not happen as I moved through the scale up to 8. It's as if with no signal in the input, the backlight wouldn't allow me to adjust it.... :confused:

The same was replicated with AV1. Strangle also, the graphic when pressing input select showed two arrows next to AV1 and AV2 - as if it had a source plugged in - which obviously it didn't - unlike the HDMI, component etc... which didn't show this "plugged in" graphic.

So with no inputs and signals, the backlight going to max is even more constant and continues all the way up the backlight setting scale.

The reason I figured out that it is effectively the backlight going to "max" for 5 or so seconds, then back to normal - is during this 5 sec period when it goes to max.... if I increase the backlight (say it was set at 3), there is no change in the screen brightness... and if I move it all the way up to max.... once the 5 sec are over... the screen remains as bright as if it were on max.... (beacuse it obviously is now - as I've set it there).

Well, I'm stumped.... and really not sure what I should do now... :(

xCAUSALITYx

Standard Member
Ran the test tonight - removed all inputs, turned the tv on and selected component first. Set it to min back light to see if it would replicate previous results. Within seconds, the backlight went on to what I've now come to realise is "max" and then back to my setting.

I progressed through the settings - 1, 2, etc.... each on giving the same result. In fact I got all the way up to 8 and the same was happeneing. If I'm honest - me adjusting the backlinght gradually up with no input, didn't seem to increase the backlight at all. Usually you would see a slight increase in the lightness of the screen with each incrament. This did not happen as I moved through the scale up to 8. It's as if with no signal in the input, the backlight wouldn't allow me to adjust it.... :confused:

The same was replicated with AV1. Strangle also, the graphic when pressing input select showed two arrows next to AV1 and AV2 - as if it had a source plugged in - which obviously it didn't - unlike the HDMI, component etc... which didn't show this "plugged in" graphic.

So with no inputs and signals, the backlight going to max is even more constant and continues all the way up the backlight setting scale.

The reason I figured out that it is effectively the backlight going to "max" for 5 or so seconds, then back to normal - is during this 5 sec period when it goes to max.... if I increase the backlight (say it was set at 3), there is no change in the screen brightness... and if I move it all the way up to max.... once the 5 sec are over... the screen remains as bright as if it were on max.... (beacuse it obviously is now - as I've set it there).

Well, I'm stumped.... and really not sure what I should do now... :(

Hi,

The only thing left is for you to contact Sony, they will run through some questions to establish if the TV is working correctly or not, if the TV is deemed as faulty they will either sort the issue out for you or advise you to contact the retailer where you bought it from and get an exchange - What I will say is that as you have already said that the retailer only had a limited stock in the first place is to push this point with Sony and they may send out an engineer.

Thanks and good luck with Sony, let me know how you get on.

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Yeh. I guess that's the next step.... I'll let you know how I get on..

Cheers for all the advice!

Raf

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Quick update to this - tv is being picked up today by an authorised repairer from Sony. Annoyingly, the fault has become far less frequent recently! Almost couldn't replicate it yesterday - only via component channel on backlight min.... otherwise it wasn't showing! Typical.....

Rafkoo

Standard Member
UPDATE - It has been diagnosed as a PCB fault - that's all they would say at this moment - so they're ordering a new one in - said I should hpefully get it back this week. :)

Rafkoo

Standard Member
Today, it has been with the repair centre for exactly 4 weeks - they have identified the fault (BA-PCB) - but the replacement part sent to them was initially rejecting software upgrades, and since then they have been waiting on a new one - which has yet to arrive.

I'm basically at a point that I've paid for a TV over 6 weeks ago - it has been with the repair centre for 4 weeks with no resolution (although they say they are waiting for another new part) - and I am without a TV…..

The repair centre have been very good - can't fault them - with lots of updates and phone calls giving me updates - the fault lies more so with Sony supplying the correct part.

So where do I stand? Can I call Sony customer service direct and request a new TV now that it's been with them for 4 weeks without a repair? I'm just rather miffed that it's been 4 weeks and nothing…. Is it my right to request a new TV that is hasn't been fixed in 28 days? I don't want to be fobbed off by Sony customer service to wait longer….

Rafkoo

Standard Member
6 weeks on and I think we have a reslolution - after talking to Sony for over an hour and having a go at them for poor customr service, unable to repaire t being escalted to customer relations etc... they've agreed to give me a new tv (but it was a heck of a struggle to get them to do that!).

They don't have any 37w5500 - so it's being replaced with a 37w5800.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom