W2K3S stuck in DHCP mode

ncmoody

Whenever I try to set the IP address etc manually on this box the data takes but the properties box for the TCP/IP settings shows it to be in DHCP mode.

Running ipcpnfig /all shows that the setting has been used and it is NOT in DHCP mode.

I suspect a registry problem.

Doing a Net View from the PDC (AD) of this machine gives, after some delay an error 53.

I suspect they are related.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Sorry, but is this server a domain controller or not?

If it isn't, I'd just delete the network adaptor, reboot, and let Windows re-detect it. This is my normal way of fixing such problems in XP/2003.

If it is a DC don't do this though!

ncmoody

Sorry, but is this server a domain controller or not?

If it isn't, I'd just delete the network adaptor, reboot, and let Windows re-detect it. This is my normal way of fixing such problems in XP/2003.

If it is a DC don't do this though!

Thanks Stiggy, I have already tried that to no avail.

Tried again but more agressivly (wiping out all trace if adapter in Registry), deleting drivers etc. still no good - same problem.

rolled back to Ghost image from 3 months ago only to find that image has same problem.

Done a CD boot and repair only to get BSOD (too quick to see problem).

Looks like it is going to have to be a complete rebuild.

At leas it is only the OS that is down - all data safe on other drives and backed up to network.

Neill

ncmoody

Main problem is cannot view / attach to shared resources.

making a little progress.
Stopped auto restart (F8 & select no restart after crash)
Can now see BSOD - problem with Nvidia driver, removed, setup now continuing.

This is Work in Progress. It would probably be quicker to rebuild from scratch but I would really like to track down what has caused the problem.

Network drivers are the latest I can find on the Asus site. (it is a builtin nVidia Forceware gigabyte NIC.

Thanks for still showing an interest, will continue posting as I discover more.

As I type the setup program from the repair is running with, it says 34 mins to go.

This could be a long night.

================

setup has rn OK
reinstalled nVidia drivers - DHCP problem solved.

BUT it seems I was a bit careless when editing the registry and somehow the 'workstation' service has disapeareed. not in the list of service and the Legacy reg entry has gone.

What caused this colatteral damage goodness knows.

=======================

After much faffing about in the registry geting nowhere fast I called it a day and went back to the ghost image.

Re-installed the nVidia drivers and after much hassle updated the VMWare to the latest version.

Apart from the DHCP indication everything now works as it should, Net view from domain workstations get the correct result.

It looks as though the root cause of the problem was a screwed install of VMWare workstation 7-1-3. Now running 7-1-4.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom