W1070 color stripe/smudge

marien

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just noticed a smudge/stripe that looks really weird. My W1070 is about 2 years old now and always worked great.

IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2153.JPG

Any idea what this might be?

Reckon you have a hair in the light path somewhere. De-focus the lens, you will probably be able to make out what it is as it will probably come into sharper focus (it will likely take focus away from the DLP chip and onto whatever the item is)

I've maximized defocus but dont get a good glimpse of whether it is a hair or dust. But it is a small line with a hue. Next to is is a smal blob as well. And i have the feeling the line is slightly moving about from air. So perhaps it is.

Any tips to get rid of this safely?

Unless you consider yourself skilled at opening up electronics and are happy to own the risk of it going wrong, your best bet is to return it and get it repaired by the official repairer. Don't randomly fire air duster cans in through the vent - these have a propellant which can leave you with more problems than you started with if that gets on your optics.

It is often claimed that DLP has a sealed light path, but there seem to be more posts on here of people with contaminants in the light path on their DLP units than LCD projectors, which were always the typical sufferers. This might be a function of there being more DLP sales than LCD, but my own reckoning is that the sealing on low end units typically sold is very minimal indeed. I've taken apart a low-end Benq before which was absolutely filthy with dust on the DLP chip, and that certainly had very little to avoid dust around the DLP chip.

If you turn the PJ off and shine a torch through from the outside in you might be able to make out what / where it is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom