W1070 Beowulf no judder on TV

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chester Pete, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Chester Pete

Chester Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Was watching Beowulf last night on freeview High definition on my W1070.
    What stuck me was how amazing it looked compared to 24p bluray. The film was life like, judder free and perfectly lip synced. It was so good, I was noticing small details that are lost in the judder version from 24P bluray!

Now this has got me confused - how can I play my bluray discs so that they look as good as the freeview signal last night?
    I mention the W1070 because clearly, there is no frame interpolation going on in the projector.
    Any ideas what's going on and how can I get more of it :)?

2. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    turn off the 24p option on you bluray player, freeview is 50hz i think.

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,873
    However, this will mean that your player will likely output in 1080/60i (or 1080/60p depending on settings). If the source is a 24p BluRay then you will suffer a different (but equally annoying) judder due to 3:2 pull down Three-two pull down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where some frames will be repeated and others shown only once.

The TV showing of Beowolf would have been sped up from 24p to 25p then interlaced for broadcast in 576/50i or 1080/50i (depending if HD channel or S channel). Perhaps for some reason this looks better on your projector, but there isn't any way that you can achieve this without speeding up the film to 25p.

FWIW I have a Lumagen video processor that allows me to output 24p at 50p or 60p if I want to and despite it being one of the best video processors on the market it still judders if set this way...