W100 sudden unexplained dimming

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alphie, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Alphie

Alphie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today when I turned on my BenQ W100 the picture was noticeably dimmer than it ever has been, even 12 hours before. I can't find any setting to correct it, and even switching off eco mode (which I always use) make litttle different. It's difficult to say, but I think it's about half as bright as before - too dim to watch comfortably even in complete darkness.

I've had it about six months and the projector says the bulb has been used for 888 equivalent hours. I was expecting 2000-3000 hours out of it. I think it's been treated quite well apart from my missus once accidentally cutting the power.:oops: I had it running 10 seconds later and didn't notice any immediate effects (that was about 3 months ago).

The manual isn't much help. There's nothing on the care instructions that I don't do, no suggestions for things to clean (other than the lens) and no troubleshooting information for these symptoms. Do I really need to get another bulb after getting less than 1/3 what I'd expect out of it?:eek: Do you think it's worth looking into the warranty?

2. 87cricket

87cricket
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Alphie, sorry but I can't actually help you with your problem, but was wondering if you have found out anymore? I also have the Benq W100 it is 14 months old with around 270 equivalent hours of use, in this time there have been three power cuts while the projector was in use. Each time I have restarted the projector instantly (this is probably the wrong thing to do} I am not sure how much damage this can cause, but at the moment everything is fine. I thought I would post this along side your question, and see if we can get a clearer idea of things from somebody.

3. Moi

Moi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I guess it is probably the bulb.

You might want to check out this

Sorry!

4. ukkev2000

ukkev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'd say it's the bulb. I'm on my second for my Sanyo z4 and it suddenly did the dim thing. I've replaced with with my old (2000+) bulb and now I'm on to amazing brightness again! I've sent the newer (but still 2000+hours) bulb off for a re-lamp.

From my experience, I'd say that bulbs differ. You might get a good 'un or, if you're unlucky, get a less sturdy bulb that dims quickly. Shocking, bearing in mind the bloomin' cost of the blighters.

Hence calling this fella

5. Alphie

Alphie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the end I stumped up the money for a new bulb and that was definitely the problem. I guess the new information here, which hopefully will be useful to others, might be:

• Bulbs don't necessarily dim steadily over their life, especially if they've ever had the power cut.
    • The effects of cutting the power to your projector might not manifest immediately, but it doesn't mean they haven't seriously dented your bulb life.
    • You really can go from 3000 hours to 900 hours in five seconds :eek:

I think now might be some time to look into getting a miniature UPS.

Interesting thread, Moi. Does running the PJ in high altitude more really just speed up the fan. If so, does anyone think it would affect bulb life?

I'm also intrigued by the idea of fan modification to increase efficiency and decrease noise. I've done this to my PC with dramatic effects - anyone got experience doing this with a W100?

Somebody posted a picture to illustrate ballooning in a bulb on the other thread, but I'm not a member. I've attached a picture of mine and I would guess that the big lump at the base is the same thing.

Attached Files:

6. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Alphie hard luck on the lamp issue. I have a w100 and whilst it is running great at present (just touched wood) I just wanted to know how much you had to pay for the new lamp and where you got it from

Croc

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    He is absoloutely fantastic that guy. £125 well worth it IMO. My original lamp started looking very dim after 300 hours. My remade one is around 400 hours and gives an absoloutely beautiful bright pic. :thumbsup:

8. Alphie

Alphie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Crocodile. I paid £141 at Oyyy.

My W100 is my only TV so I was quite keen to get it quickly. I paid an extra couple of quid for next day delivery and it arrived exactly when it was supposed to.

£16 doesn't seem like much extra to pay for a new factory-supplied lamp available next day.

Thanks for posting the link to lamps4you though. I may well post of the old lamp to be reconditioned before I sell my projector. I guess it would be easier to sell with an extra lamp.

9. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    £141 is not the end of the world especially for a brand new lamp as you say. I remember my first PJ cost me £1500 for a low 800X600 res LCD which I sold for only £150 just 2 1/2 years later with only 200ish lamp hours. The lamps were £350 thank heavens I didn't need to buy one

Cheers
    Croc

10. mudlugger

mudlugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had same probs with my Optoma Themescene h57 after only 365 hrs. in a purpose built room in great conditions. I too am appalled that any consumer can shrug their shoulders as if its just bad luck when they pay out hundreds of pounds in the first place just to find out that we are gambling hard cash on lamps. When I did my initial research before purchasing, it never warned of any aspects of gambling on the life of the bulb.
    I dont agree with people who say its not that expensive to replace lamps... any extra outlay on a consumers investment due to faulty products is a disgrace to any quality control system. nuff sed.

11. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I do agree.

I think if these manufacturers want to gain custom from quoting 2000-3000 hour lamp life (which they do), then they should give better guarantees. I think sales would be considerably lower if prospective purchasers were quoted lamp hours that may not last even a year. However, the problem is that your wife cut the power to your projector, and this is a really big :nono:. Many members even have emergency power supplies that kick in to stop such eventualities should there be a power cut. Ultimately we'll never know how long your lamp may have lasted if this had not happened, but from what I've heard, it can hugely decrease life of the lamp. My pj's fan goes into overdrive when it shuts down, which gives some indicator on how important it is.

12. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Guess what......my lamp has suddenly dimmed. It has only done 110 hours and I've never had a power cut or other potential lamp damaging scenario. Although I did recently send my PJ back to Benq for a rework. It is one of the early models that had the HDMI/DVI handshake problem which was duely fixed and the picture on return, now available over DVI, had never looked better. It ran like that for about 10 hours or so and then suddenly it has gone really dark. I've tweaked all that I can and it is still way too dark.

I don't suppose Benq would have any of it if I go back to them. I'm miffed!

Croc

13. koraldon

koraldon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ouch!
    As a relative newbie to the w100, I was content with its advertised long bulb life...
    did anybody got close ? (2000+ hours?)

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I seem to have missed this thread. My lamp is fine after over 100 hours so far. I wonder, could this dimming be anything to do with the amount of time the pj is on for in one session. I don't have mine on any longer than 3 or 4 hours at a time.

I would be surprised to find someone with 1000's of hours on a lamp and I don't think it has been available for more than a couple of years. Long hours can be obtained. I have seen 5000 hours on a Panny AE100 (mine had just 1300) but it took about 5 years.

15. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm afraid to say that mine only has light use average 1 film a week or less. I turn it on let it warm up for a short while watch the film and then often play a selection of "reference" chapters on various DVDs before shutting down in the proper way typically 2 to 3 hours.

Antone know the current best place to buy lamps for this PJ?

Thanks
    Croc

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    That is about the same as me. I watch one film a week usually. I let it warm up for abotu 15 minutes before watching then leave it plugged in while tuning off. I then unplug it after about 10 minutes after the fan has stopped.

I had a google and came up with £170 for a proper BenQ lamp. I was expecting it to be a bit cheaper. They are even £170 on ebay with a 3 month warranty.

17. The Prof.

The Prof.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My W100 has done 1255 Hrs., and has been through four blackouts!!

I use it for TV and movies everyday..
    To me it's still looks as bright as the day I bought it...

One thing I never did though was to turn it back on straight away after a blackout...I always left it for 30 minutes before re-starting..

The area that I've recently moved to (near the coast) is renowned for regular blackouts, and I've had two already..
    I've now bought a UPS unit, so I shouldn't have any further worries about blackouts..

If it keeps going the way it is, I'm hoping to get at least 2500 Hrs.:D

18. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Do you have it ceiling mounted or coffee table mounted. Also what is the unit up against? I don't suppose the orientation should affect things as they are designed to be used either way but if one way up allowed the heat to build up more than the other perhaps this could have an effect

19. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Mine is close to a wall but heat can escape all around it. It is the right way up on top of a upright Hi Fi stand.

I happen to have a power cut this morning for a few hours. There was another a few days ago for over 10 hours. This was about 15 minutes before I was going to put the PJ on.

20. The Prof.

The Prof.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I wouldn't have thought that having it upside down or the right way up should make any difference...providing there are no restrictions to the intake or exhaust vents..

My projector is ceiling mounted on a telescopic arm, and is 20" down from the ceiling..
    The bottom of my Scope screen is fairly low down, and since the W100 doesn't have lens shift, I had to lower the projector..

In reality, the projector doesn't have any more air space around it because I made an adjustable mounting plate, which sits just an 1" above the vent holes..

I've even bumped it with my head a couple of times when the projector was running..
    It amazes me that the bulb is still going strong!!..

I believe that most damage to the lamp is caused by incorrect shutdown..
    If the projector is suddenly turned off..ie blackouts, the lamp temperature rises dramatically, to the point of distorting the glass envelope..
    If you allow it to cool naturally in this situation, the glass can return to its original shape..
    If you turn the projector back on staight away, the distortion remains and becomes the new shape of the lamp..which presumably starts to cause dimming..

21. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mine is ceiling mounted (not permanently) onto a home made mount. The back plate is against the feet of the projector so gives exactly the same space as if it where table top. The difference though is that since the heat rises there is potential for the back plate to hold the heat in somewhat. I had already cut vent holes into the back plate in anticipation of this although they are small (2 x 1" diameter holes only). I'm going to increase the size of these holes considerably, there's no reason why I can't and it seems silly of me that I didn't make them bigger first time round.

Croc

22. The Prof.

The Prof.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    That would place the mounting plate pretty close to the unit..
    Larger holes would certainly help..

I fitted the ceiling mount in the normal way, with the arms screwed to the mounting holes..
    This already raises the mount about 1" above the projector body..
    I then seperated the arms from the universal joint, and fitted my adjustable mounting plates between the two..
    I also used matt black painted MDF for the plates, which tends to absorb heat rather than reflect it back..

I really don't know how affective all this is, but in theory it should help..
    Maybe I've just got a ripper globe!!

23. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Bizarre but after going back over myreferenc DVDs (just favourates not calibration discs) and tweaking, I've managed to get a spot on picture again. Although it seemed to be better right from when I switched on though anyway:confused: I've used it once since tweaking and again spot on. I'm not complaining, I just hope it lasts. But why did it dip in the first place? Is it possible that there is some self tweaking going on and it depends on the first DVD you throw at it after switch on? Or could tempeature build up be a factor?

Anyway, I watched Blood Diamond last night, down scaled from HD via BluRay PS3 and it was the best I've ever seen the projector look.

Croc