W-xga?

webbp

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

In my quest for the best quality I can manage for my home cinema (on a budget of course), I have managed to get hold of a few hi-def films (thanks to the wonderful world of the internet).
My next goal is to find a suitable screen.
It seems there are very few displays that can display a full 1080i display in its native format 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Hence I now start looking for good 720p displays.
On a recent trip round curry's I noticed a very nice looking rear-projection set. The Sony KF42SX300. (Best deal seems to be at unbeatable)
Now I have scoured the net & cannot find anything that tells me its native resolution in pixels.
They all state: 3.28 Million Resolution with 0.87" W-XGA Panels

Now to me W-XGA means 1280 x 768.
Can anyone help me to confirm/deny my curiousity.

Many Thanks

Sony tend to use 1366 x 768 panels (actually 1388 x 788 but 20 pixels are "cropped").

1388 x 788 x 3 = 3,281,232 or 3.28 megapixels.

So it's a 1366 x 768 resolution TV.

:smoke:

Cool! Sold!
Many thanks mate.
I cant wait for the plasmas to get down to this price range & this set didn't look that much deeper anyhow :)

Before buying this set to view Hi Def films( I presume we are taking about D-VHS) wouldn't it be a good idea to confirm it'll accept and display HDTV.

D-VHS? no I dont want to fill up my shelves with yet another set of stuff.
I almost got rid of my old vhs tapes for DVD.
No I have been hording some of the .TS & WMV files from the newsgroups.

You do have a point though, it doesn't say HDTV in the specs specifically.
But it does say it accepts XGA from a PC input.
I cant seem to find a detailed spec anywhere (THe Sony site isn't very good at giving out details).
But I will keep looking before committing.
I've also gotta convince the better half :)

Hi

Was wondering if you ever discovered whether the Sony KF-42SX300 was fine for HDTV?

And whether you ended up buying the tv.

Cheers
Ant

Well Sony came back with a definitive "no" for receiving HDTV signals.
However, they never answered the question as to whether you could input x-xga into the vga port.
The documentation only states xga.

As for purchasing it. No that didn't happen either as the better half was not taken with the set at all. She wants a plasma (after all the more important things in the house are finished such as the decorating & carpet etc) ;)

I think I saw another member inputting wxga into the port but having some problems with it. So it doesn't seem likely that this will be on the radar for me in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom