1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vynil to MP3 help

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by hornydragon, Feb 6, 2005.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK guys i need some help, my parents ahve a P3 667 PC with 40GB HDD and 512MB SD RAM a large collection of vynil.... now what i am after is a sound card and software to allow them to RIP the Vynl to MP3 at decent quality, they have a decent Technics deck no internal pre AMP.......... will any souncard take phono inputs? which software to use, saw some on Gadget show that was free download...and have seen pack in PC world, although they have never had much luck with PC stuff

PC running WIN 98 OS and has a CD-RW drive (would be nice to burn as .cda files as my mum has a new car with CD player but not MP3 (standard vauxhall CD player)

Will also put this in HTPC forum.....

Regards HD

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's some software and hardware here that can help do this.

'Clean' is a pretty decent vinyl recorder/cleaner (I used version 3 some time back) and the RIAA pre-amp below it on that page can be used to 'front-end' an ordinary sound card, a bit klunky but cheaper than this soundcard which is great quality (I have one) but probably a lot more than you need. Clean used to be sold with a pre-amp, seems it isn't any more.

Those are the only two solutions I know of.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I didn't recommend the soundcard, I merely mentioned it. :) However, it doesn't say that soundcard has a phono preamp ... the RIAA preamp there would do in front of a cheap SB Live! or something like that just as well as far as I can see.

I use the DB CD ripper haven't tried DMC, Clean I tihnk would be better for things like click elimination and other cleaning jobs, DMC doesn't do that as far as I know.

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,572
    Steinberg Clean is still available with a USB phono pre-amp - details here. I've read that the software has a lot of issues under XP but minimum requirement is 98SE so you may be OK. Amazon used to do them &, if they still do, you may be able to take advantage of distance selling regs to try it out & get a refund if no good. Check their T&Cs first in relation to opening software.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hmmmm spend money on a pre amp or on a or a soundcard with one built in??? the PC has a very basic SB card with line in at themoment.. I did see a USB box in dixons (Ezy??) that did it all easier to connect turntable to via laptop but turntablke doesnt get much use so moving temporarily to PC room would not be too huge an issue. Will the PC cope OK? i assume it isnt particularly processor intensive?

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah right, I'd forgotten Steinberg was sadly bought by Pinnacle, no surprise to me then that there are problems with the software now, their video ripping package is utter garbage IMHO.

Audio recording doesn't need a lot of processor power, Clean 3 worked it 'offline' mode anyway, ie. you recorded raw and then processed afterwards so CPU load wasn't an issue except for the time it took.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,572
    KraGorn's right about CPU usage, disk write is more important during the record process. Make sure that there's plenty of space free & that the disk is defragged. Don't have other apps running in the background & definitely don't try & run another app while recording.

If you can get the PC near the hifi then you can connect the Aux out or record out phonos direct to the line in of the soundcard. Be aware that cheap soundcards/chipsets tend to have noisy inputs that further degrade the recording.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    looks like a decnet sound card then..........and move Deck upstairs to next to PC, gonna work better i think....

11. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why don't you just get a Nad PP1 (approx £40) and run that into your existing soundcard. If your soundcard's that bad, pick up an Audiophile from M-Audio (not bad card), at £60 odd quid it will be a worthwhile upgrade.Then just use any cheap sequencer....cubasis..to record in the audio.

To be honest we could sit here and discuss the merits of different souncards all day but in this instance the audiophile will suffice as, to use an old saying, your chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and in this instance I'm convinced your weakest link is the turntable.

p.s Steinberg's not owned by Pinnacle.

Good luck dude :)

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  13. scott666

scott666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use dbpoweramp, you'll need to download the dmc auxiliary input to rip from vinyl and don't forget to connect to the line in and not the headphone socket as theres a risk of blowing up your soundcard :suicide:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    so will that read the lower level phono output?

15. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That thing is just their version of "Steinberg clean plus"....you don't need it as you've already got a soundcard....

Remember these things are just souncards albeit with a riaa input for the turntable.....given that, why bother! Seriously spend £40 on a Nad PP1 or similar and fire that into the line input of your existing souncard. Like I said an audiophile would be a worthwhile upgrade (not only will it sound better, it will function as a proper souncard useable with everything) but I appreciate that the audiophile plus the Nad adds up in price. Given that scenario just use your existing card, as the "soundcard" side of this Soundcard/preamp hi-brid is no better than your existing soundcard anyway.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK cool was thinking more of a project Pnono box than the NAD... but they are both £40.... I think i will wait and see if i can pick one up cheap at bristol for £20-£25 and then sort out souncard/software issues cheers guys.....been reading the thread on cleaning the LP's as a non vinyl user and these things gets played once in a blue moon......... whats the cheapest/effective method? Warm water with a tiny bit of soap soltuion and a through dry? if so what soap (hard water area) and where to Dry, air dry? Cloth dry?

17. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I keep going on about the Nad though ironically I used to own the project unit. I recieved a debut 1 turntable a few years for christmas and I used the project phono stage to plumb it into my processor.......hearing axis bold as love on Tag's psuedo 5.1 was incredible!
    Both the NAD and project look and cost the same and if I was being honest I could'nt hear the difference! (I only ended up with the NAD as I changed my turntable and sold the phono stage at the same time)
    Once you've got it in the computer cleaning it is so easy from cheap plugins (shareware) to things like Waves Restorartion bundle (+£1000 depending on bundle) which I've personally sold to the Metropolitan Police to clean up their tapes just like in the movies!

18. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,572
    Spotted this on that well known auction site, no bids with a day to go.

You really need to verify the signal to noise of your soundcard inputs. Try recording from the line in with nothing connected & then playing back in a quiet environment, preferably through headphones. If you hear silence you should be OK but don't be surprised if you've recorded all manner of noise. Relocating the cards in the PC so that the sound card is as far away from the PSU & graphics card as possible can improve things.

Audio Cleaning Lab software from Magix does a good job of cleaning up the WAV files after you've recorded them & also has the facility to add track markers to a large WAV file so that you don't have to record each track individually or split tracks that naturally run into one another without a break. It also has a CD burning feature so you don't require additional software for that.

Another way round the phono pre-amp problem would be to buy a second hand audio amp from the local paper or the classified forums here. I bet there's dozens sitting in cupboards after the arrival of an AV monster.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :oops: Got one of those my self......lent it to a mate when his sony Mini System packed up...... :suicide: it has phono input and Tape loops.... can also use proper speakers for monitoring that way instead of crappy PC things......