1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VXSD2011 + FS2AV Good idea or ...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Aidan, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Aidan

Aidan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I wasting a lot of money on the amp?

I am constrained to having the FS2's as they are wife friendly and the 2011 has had excellent reviews but will the 2011 be wasted by pairing it with the FS2's?

If there is no point in this pairing can anyone recommend a suitable amp for the FS2's

Thanks

Aidan.

2. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Instead of FS2's have you considered the B&W VM1's of the Kef 2005 packages, both are wife friendly and also sound good in home cinema. I would say that these would be more suited to the 2011 than the Fs2's, and sound far far better IMHO. If you are set on the FS2's then Yamaha, Marantz or Sony would be a cheaper and prolly better option for yourself.
    HTH
    Laters
    Spooks
    :)

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with spooky. That Pioneer amp you mention has a performance well beyond the capability of the FS2AVs, plus it'll be mayhem trying to upgrade them to 6.1. And you should put some manners on that wife of yours, explain 2 her why you need THX speakers to match the pioneer amp, then demand that she make space for them. Failing that opt for the superb sounding Kef KHT2005 speakers, which are easily upgradable to 6.1.

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Aidan,

Just a question, nothing against your decision to buy the Pioneer at all. But are you really sure about spending £700-£800 on a receiver in todays value, when you have spend maybe only half of the amount on speakers?

FS2's are really good from all the threads, and I myself have the FS1's. However, I am sure that members agree that speakers should take up roughly half of your budget excluding vision items of course.

You should really use maybe e.g. AE Evo3's or B&W's or other medium price bracket speakers as they call on the mags.

As spooky says, Sony 1080, Marantz5300, Yamaha630 or the new Pioneer D912 (comes out late spring, including MACC and microphone for rec £400) would suit better to the FS2's

Wasabi

5. Aidan

Aidan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spooky, Dimmy & Wasabi

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

In regards to the other speakers named, unfortunately I really am constrained to the FS2's, as to quote my wife "I don't want the living room looking like Dixon's" which is fair enough as I also like my technology to be discreet in the living room. The KEF's have had very good reviews but unfortunately do not blend in as well as the FS2's.

Basically I am lucky enough to have up to £2500 to spend on an AV amp, speakers and associated cabling. Are there any other "discreet" speakers out there other than the FS2's? Are in-wall/ceiling speakers any good?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aidan.

6. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Given your budget, I would buy the Gallo Nucleus Micros (Discreet is their middle name) to go with the Pioneer or new Denon 3803. As they come with cables you should be well within your budget.

cookie

7. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aidan

Have you thought of Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro's? They may not be as discrete as flat panel speakers but they are beautiful objects in their own right - why try and hide something ugly when you can display something (relatively?) beautiful. They will also outperform the FS2's by a long long way by all accounts.

The Gallo's may be a little on the pricey side but you can get the NM's + Sub and the 2011 for a few hundred under £2500.

Incidentally I will be pairing the Nucleus Micro's with a 2011 - should I ever get one delivered

Edit

D'oh beat me to it

8. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Still, great minds think alike!

cookie

9. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Aidan,

Dazed and Cookie have probably given you the best choice. The Gallos powerbuy that gave you 10% on this forum has ended, but contact uncle eric as he can give you slightly lower prices than the rec ones. Looking at their website and their rec prices, if you can spend around £1400-£1550 (depending on the colour) for 6+1 speaker system, and additional £300 for 6 wall brackets (£375-£450 for 6 stands), then you can add a amp for the remaining e.g. Pioneer or just possibly Denon as they suggest here, then it doesn't leave anything for cables. But if you could get 5% off from uncle eric, then it might look like this

6 Micro silver white - £855
    1 subwoofer - £475
    6 wall brackets white - £142.5

Sub Total £1472.5

Pioneer 2011 - £760 incl del at krishav.co.uk

Sub Total £2232.50

Remaining £267.50 for cables and interconnects.

Obviously it would cost a bit more if you want silver or other colours, but beware, wall brackets are only in white or black. They have stands in silver. But if you want Denon 3803 which lots of members can't wait for, then it will probably cost more than £750.

Just to give you a rough price idea. Please if others can add or correct me I don't mind at all - Wasabi

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what people are saying about the Gallo Nucleus Micros, if you really can't have anything bigger then they might be OKAY for the job at hand. But you really should show your wife the Kef Eggs, they're truly gorgeous & very discreet, and I keep recommending them as they'd easily outperform ANY of the speakers aforementioned.

11. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Aidan,

I showed the Kef Eggs to my girlfriend, and she thought they were butt ugly, too big as well. So yes, Dimmy is right in the sense that you should show your wife, the alternatives.

If she likes slim speakers, then you could have a look at the new Infinity Oreus (£650 at hifibitz), they are in pure aluminium and very slim as well, stands for £100 per pair
    http://international.infinitysystem...ts/category/oreus_series.asp?language=ENGLISH

Wasabi.

12. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is that product release and price confirmed? I only found this US product info that states March US release and $475 MSRP.

Certainly an interesting product considering the praise that MCACC has received!

13. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    rauer,

I actually saw the pioneer information on this forum, but can't find the thread anymore, also no one replied, maybe it has been deleted (not sure how the forum works exactly), so I thought I brought it up again. I don't know who created that thread, but it seems that you have found the US information, that is great. However, I can't confirm when it is coming, but I am sure that it will and it seems that in general, whatever is in on sale as $ is the equivalent of £ price.

14. Aidan

Aidan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I had a look at the KEF's and they are a lot bigger than I expected them to be. Wife was not too impressed though :thumbsdow

Read a review of the Gallo's at the weekend and they did not fare well, only 3 stars out of 5. I was expecting a higher rating due to their price/recommendations here. :confused:

Might wait for the D912 to come out and pair this with the FS2's. Good or bad idea?

Are there any in wall speakers about that are worth looking into?

Thanks

Aidan

15. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Aidan,

You probably read the What-Hifi review. Obviosly there are a lot of discussion whether to trust any reviews, and actually I think it is a good thing that not all mags gives exactly the same ratings. It's like any other types of mags, no product is always the same according to different test people.

Anyway, to balance out the bad review, check what anthony's website have collected

http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/reviews.html

But yes, I think the FS2's and D912 when it now comes would be fine and you save quite a few hundred pounds, which you can spend on dvds, or go for a superb quality which we have suggested above.

Wasabi.

16. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would suggest listening to the A.G. micros yourselves with a variety of music and film material. Make your own decision.
    I listened to them at the Bristol show last weekend and was not too impressed. There was a lack of linear frequency response. Weak/missing midrange & harsh high end. It didn't help that they did nothing to improve the acoustics of the hotel room the setup was in. They should have invested £100 in acoustic treatment instead of the little red lights in the cabinets. I didn't bother to look what they were powering it with because I felt compelled to leave the room too quickly. It depends on what you are used to listening to.
    I wanted to listen to the B&W VM1s, but they were only sat on a table in a small room.
    It's a shame that most of the manufacturers decided only to demonstrate their flagship models this year. Nice, but that isn't what the majority of people can afford to buy.
    My two cents.