1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VX10 vs Z9

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dougunn, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Dougunn

Dougunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am putting together a mid to high end system and am looking at the Pioneer VSX A10Ai-S or the Yamaha DSP-Z9 and would appreciate comments on either of these units.

Whilst the Z9 has the power it doesn't accept DD or DTS audio via iLink. The Pionner seems the more rounded solution but I can't decide . . .

Planning on using a Miller & Kriesel S150, SS150 and MX150 sub setup.

Any comments?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dougunn both of the amps you are looking at are extremly good as High End Intergrated AV amps.
    I actually Demoed the Old AX10i, Denon & Yamaha Z9 and in the end i picked the Z9 as it an awsome peice of hardware and had the best sound out of them 3. I have heard the new AX10Ai aswell now and still think the Z9 sounds better.
    As for the iLink i have already mentioned to you that my Z9 accepts DD & DTS in an earlier post this is something that i think you need to discuss & try out on a dem if possible at a dealership.
    There is also the bonus of Video Upscaleing which the Z9 has and the Pioneer does not.
    At the end of the day the only true way to find out what you prefer is to listen to both amps and make your own mind up.
    The Z9 sounds superb with my M&K's 851's so i could only imagine it will sound just as good and if not better with the S-150's.

John

3. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think it's been added. I grabbed this from the pioneer site.

"Video Converter

With this flexible video converter feature, hooking up video components is foolproof. There is no need to connect every terminal because the amplifier/receiver converts the input video signal to all available video output terminals. (Except component to S-Video or composite video).

With a selection of connection options, it is easy to configure any home installation. For high-end systems, composite and S-Video input sources can be output at component video level to plasma displays or projectors. Addidionally, composite and S-Video signals can be mutually converted and output. "

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it may convert the signal to Component but it does not scale the video ie 480p/576p/720p/1080i.

John

5. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    my apologies. serves me right for talking about technologies I know nothing about! still clinging desperately to my 32" CRT tele!

6. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm at the same point - however I did in the end plump for the AX10i over the Z9.

My reasoning was that the AX10i and the Z9 were close enough to each other for music (for movies I couldn't separate them at all as to which I preferred) however the Pioneers WMA9 decoding built in and USB PC audio feed were a real bonus given that one of the sources will be my HTPC.

The video upscaling facility of the Z9 (in my opinion) is something that I would rather keep separate to my AV amp ... I've gone through several scalers in the last five years and have upgraded as the image processing algorithms have got better (or I've found foibles that I just can't live with).

Added to that, the Z9 is still in pretty short supply and so is holding it's purchase price premium whereas there are plenty of places advertising the AX10 at substantially below £3k.

Phil

7. Dougunn

Dougunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phil, you have summed up much of my own thinking.

The AX-10 seems a more up to date amp (full implementation of iLink, Windows media etc).

Additionally, I also plan to use a Pioneer 868 DVD and quite fancy the aesthetics of similarly styled units.

I will audition them side by side but the Pioneer certainly has a head start (and it' a bit cheaper too!).

8. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you're matching it up with the pioneer 868 I really would be persuaded towards the AX-10. It's worth getting the benefits of the I-Link connection.

9. scanneb

scanneb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently plumped for the AX10Ai (albeit without demoing the Z9) and am waiting to take delivery. My preference was based on wanting to use the iLink for DVD-Audio and SACD. The decoding is done in the AX10Ai which means that it can take advantage of all of the speaker settings in the amp. With my current set-up (Cyrus AV8 and Smartpowers) I use the multi-channel output on the 868 and have to set all of the speaker distances etc in the DVD player. Workable, but not terribly elegant.

I demoed the amp with B&W FPM speakers and with both stereo and surround music and I thought the set-up sounded excellent. Not quite up with my Cyrus and Wilson Benesch, but certainly fine for use in the living room.

There's also the matter of convenience for other users - the combined Pioneer set-up requires a lot less of users and is "zapper friendly" - so no more tortured sessions explaining why it is necessary to use multiple zappers and change settings when switching from music to TV to movies...

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the remote on the AX10Ai is really cool, and that the 2 remotes supplied with my Z9 are good but it is another 2 that are added to the many i already have!

John

11. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've had the Z9 for 10 months now. Just for clarity, using the Pioneer 868 the Z9 works with DD, DTS, DVD-Audio and SACD via the i-link connection.

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers jhjerpe i am useing the Z9 with Pioneer 757i and all formats work thru ilink as you have said, there has been some confusion as to what it will decode via the ilink but i think that clarify's it for me!

John :)

13. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhh ... I have an iPronto - superb bit of kit and I don't think that the AX10's remote (even the new upgraded one) can compete with that.

Phil

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil after all the remotes i have "8" i think it's time i invested in something like the Pronto or Marantz plus my girlfriend will be gratefull for the space it will clear on the coffe table :D

John

15. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    if u are looking at a all-in-one remoet try the new marantz rc9500. probably the best remote in the world... :)

16. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allow me to recommend an excellent supplier for Prontos...

www.letsautomate.com :D

(I work there...)

Phil

17. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil My Best Friend...... :D maybe we should talk!

John

18. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the marantz is ten times better than the pronto.

i hope u sell those too , phil...

19. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which Marantz would you be talking about as the Marantz touchscreens I've seen have all been rehoused Philips Prontos?

Phil

20. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Rc9500.

21. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is better Guy's Marantz RC9500 or the New Pronto ?

John

22. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL - That RC9500 is a Philips RU980 in a different case - the hardware is *EXACTLY* the same yet there's a £100+ premium over the Philips RU980. They don't even supply the RF receiver for it from what I can see in the specs (it's listed as an option) whereas they used to supply it with their last top-spec colour Marantz branded Pronto.

Phil

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Phil :smashin: that sums it up for me.

John

24. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically if you're anywhere local to me (I live in Winchester but work in Langley) then I can pull a unit from stock, pop round and let you have a play with one if you want...

Phil

25. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You consider the RC9500 to be better than this?

http://www.remotecontrol.philips.com/library/documents/SPEC_RU1000_04.pdf

From the iPronto I can control my AV kit, access the web based front ends for my Home Automation controller and my SliMP3, check the built in EPG for what's on the telly later (without disturbing the wife watching Corrie by using the TiVo's EPG) and I can even order pizza from Dominos online... :smashin:

I'm not saying the Marantz *ISN'T* a good - even great - remote but there are others out there. Marantz touchscreen remotes have been rebadged / rehoused Philips Prontos since the Pronto first came out and the RC9500 even *LOSES* a couple of hard buttons over the RU980 on which it's based.

Phil

26. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the Offer Phil but i live in Kent so too Far, but Xmas is comeing and i have got to do something about Remote Situation "Too Many"

John :)

27. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Phil (and John),

I'm not here to defend marantz or sell you the 9500. i'm not a retailer and have had PERSONAL use of the prontopro , the marantz 9200 and i'm now with the 9500. all of the 3 were supplied by my retailer in the course of the past 2 months.

i use the remote to control the AV kit , and at some point next month to control the lights as well. As such , I have programmed all my kit on the remote alone and enjoyed every minute of it.

i'm not sure about the "re-badging" or "re-branding" between marantz and philips, and TBH don't really care. For me the marantz 9500 is the best one in it's price bracket (which does not include the ipronto) , and i would recommend it to anyone as i did in this tread.

HTH.

28. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool - you like one, I like another - if we all liked one thing then there would only be one company in the world churning out one product.

You are the ying to my yang. ;)

Marantz simply used to be a bedfellow of Philips and as such there was a lot of exchanging of technology etc.

I have one of almost every model Pronto that Philips produce (or have produced) at home and in daily use (the exception to the full set is the original RU890 - I don't have one of those since my son broke it) ... I program my own remotes as well as programming remotes for other parties and I also get involved in the firmware updates beta testing that Philips do for their remotes. None of this is through work even though I do work for a company that sells them - I'm just a happy user from that perspective.

Phil

29. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had one of the Kameleon remotes and tbh what a load of rubbish and do not use it "waste of money" so either the Marantz or Philips will be a worthy investment.

John

30. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've just added the Kameleon / Mosaic to the remotes that we carry simply because of demand for them ... but that's all I'm saying on those.

Phil