VX10 Review in What-HifFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle

Standard Member
Reaction score
There is a review of the Velodyne VX10 in the latest WHF.

It's pretty positive really, they give it four stars & praise its abilities with movies. They've docked a star for being a bit boomy and overwhelming for music, but otherwise it certainly sounds like they rate it above the Pro50 & Quake for AV use.

They are reviewing it at a price of £250, which as you know is £50 more than they're available for on this forum.

Just thought it might sway those who like to see a review of something before making a decision as I don't think I've ever seen a review before.

Noodle.

p.s. On a related note. I always thought that WHF only reviewed things that were sent to them by distributors etc. If so, who sent them the VX10??? Uncle Eric? Velodyne?? And how come they've never reviewed any of the CHT range?

Probably Redline, the UK Distributers for Velodyne (and therefore business associates of Eric's too as I understand).

Originally posted by Noodle
p.s. On a related note. I always thought that WHF only reviewed things that were sent to them by distributors etc. If so, who sent them the VX10??? Uncle Eric? Velodyne?? And how come they've never reviewed any of the CHT range?

The sub would have been submitted by Redline, the UK distributor and Eric's supplier.

Originally posted by Noodle
They've docked a star for being a bit boomy and overwhelming for music,

Hmm, sounds suspiciously like the reviews of the Velo CHT-12 that did the rounds a year or so ago in a couple of the UK mags... so similar in fact, that it's the same.

I wonder if they ever even had a demo model...

Originally posted by juboy
I wonder if they ever even had a demo model...

I remember a post from Eric a few weeks ago stating that either one or more models had been submitted for review

Originally posted by Ian J
I remember a post from Eric a few weeks ago stating that either one or more models had been submitted for review

I wonder if the ever even listened to it... ;)

So hang on, we disagree with you clowns and the redoubtable Uncle Eric (well known charitable institution and of course not in it for the money) and you slag us off. Then we agree with you and you say we didn't even test it. Sheesh!

Originally posted by teched whfsv
So hang on, we disagree with you and you slag us off. Then we agree with you and you say we didn't even test it. Sheesh!

Yes, it's funny how history and experience gives something a reputation isn't it?

So hang on, we disagree with you clowns and the redoubtable Uncle Eric (well known charitable institution and of course not in it for the money) and you slag us off. Then we agree with you and you say we didn't even test it. Sheesh!

A 5 star post if ever i saw one!;)

Edit: Well time moves on...

A 4 star post if ever i saw one...;)

Originally posted by juboy
Yes, it's funny how history and experience gives something a reputation isn't it?

Yeah......Strage that!!!!! ;)

Hi teched
To be fare to the lads some of the reveiws have been political to say the least. Bose better than gallos for instance.
Gonzo.:D

you say we didn't even test it. Sheesh!

Seems a fair review of the VX10 to me Andrew. Great for films, but a bit lacking for music: about right for a budget sub IMO. Even those genius wizards :rolleyes: at Velodyne have to cut corners somewhere for £250 - oh yes, it'll be the (IMO and that of WHFSV) dodgy looking V badge and silver finish. 4 stars is very good in WHF ratings anyway & they said the direct competition was REL Quake & MJ Pro 50 which cost over £100 more each.

P.S. Yes, I am aware of the esteem in which some members here regard the Quake. ;)

we disagree with you clowns

Let's just say, that if you are, who you say you are, there are better ways to obtain more subscriptions to your publication.

Adzman

I suppose WHF won't be looking to become a forum sponsor then :clown:

Still, it's good to see a representative of WHF on the boards (welcome Andrew :hiya: ). Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing the point of view of the Other Side. Arguments about magazine reviews are always so one-sided, hopefully we'll get the whole story now. I just hope it doesn't turn into all-out flame wars... :rolleyes:

Dunc

As dunky says,certainly good to see a representative from the magazines here,but a shame that it's degenerated into this sort of behaviour.

Originally posted by alexs2
but a shame that it's degenerated into this sort of behaviour.

Yes, I'm surprised WHF started insulting forum members quite so early into their own membership.

So hang on, we disagree with you clowns

you can only call us this if we keep purchasing your magazine :mad:

just wondering if your real name is Richard Head? ;)

Still, it's good to see a representative of WHF on the boards (welcome Andrew ). Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing the point of view of the Other Side. Arguments about magazine reviews are always so one-sided, hopefully we'll get the whole story now. I just hope it doesn't turn into all-out flame wars...

I'd 2nd that.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't agree with WHFI reviews, but it really would be excellent to have a response to opinions expressed here.

Welcome Andrew, and I hope you find the forums of great use.

An adult response would have been nice :rolleyes:

Surely this can't be the "real deal"? I simply don't believe that this kind of message would be posted by a professional journalist, no matter what some may think of their publication. If this is indeed the Technical editor of What HiFi, then he has possibly done more harm to his cause than I thought possible with three sentences!

Am I wrong?

Russell

The name certainly checks out,but I couldn't say if the response was genuinely from Andrew Everard.....if it was,as you point out,russraff,it hardly does his argument any good...surely a reasoned response is better than the one given.

Nothing wrong with a bit of banter from the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom