1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vx10 compared to simular spec subs what do you think???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mick23, May 1, 2003.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    had my vx10 for a week now and previously had pdr8 both have simular amps /drivers (pdr8 90watts 8" driver) vx10 100w 8.2" driver, vx has larger cabinet,

to me although not being able to compare side by side, i would say the vx10 is better for music over the pdr8,

on the dvd side of things i am not so sure, its harder to tell, have tried the opening sequence of lotr,and the haunting,(creaking pipes section) the hardest thing (for me) is to tell if the velo is "doing the low frequency stuff - better or simular to pdr8????

setting are thus speakers small, 80hz crossover on amp, approx 80 on sub, gain on sub just over half volume, sub output on amp +12 volume on 3802 -30 db

have other vx10 owners had a chance to compare with "simular sized subs" and how vx10 compares with what they have demoed or owned thank you

2. kenlong69

kenlong69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Mick!

I recently upgraded to a VX-10 from a Maurdant Short 100Watt sub.

At first, after I plugged the VX-10 in, I thought that it wasn't even putting out as much bass as the MS!!! What I found was that the MS sub was actually causing a LOAD of 'room boom' and the VX-10 is much more tight.

It took an entire afternoon to get the VX-10 positioned properly and to get the crossover setting (which is at about 90Hz with my amp crossed over at 80, strange I know!).

One more thing I learned about the VX-10 is that it took about a week to wear in... it sounds better the more you play it!

As one final touch I bought a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and leveled out the bass curve from 20Hz-200Hz. It now sounds amazing.

Anyways, sorry to rant on. Basically it took a bit of configuring but I find the VX-10 far superior to my previous MS sub.

Ken

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    at last a reply
    thanks ken if you are refering to the ms 308 sub was about £150 last year,i found the pdr8 to be better, when i recieved vx10 i let it burble away on its own with tuner for a few hours per day, as i now have seperate powers its easy for me to have sub only running to "hear " whats happing,

if i play music +sub ,then turn sub of the differance is more noticible than it was with pdr8 sub no sub,

not tried that much with the av side as neibours have young children, only tried when they are out in short bursts,

4. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    this is what's probably happening with me - this is my first proper set up and i've nothing to compare it against although though i've heard a few crappy sub make lots of noise.

i've only had it running about 5 hours in total and have it at about 11 o'clock and its making noise - i'm just not sure how much its 'supposed' to output! :)

mind you, the futher i turn it up, the more the ground rumbles - u know, a kind of continuous rumble (my girlfriend thought it was thunder and went outside to check!) - i just dont know what to expect

can u suggest any scenes in dvd that are really bassy - eg, i have black hawk down, lord of the rings, gladiator but havent watched em yet (well, i have in cinema) coz i was saving them for my new kit!

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starship Poopers- I mean Starship Troopers :), Das Boot, Saving PR, Jurassic Park, T2, Toy Story 2 intro.

6. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    saving PR - yeah, wouldve thought so... i must be tone-deaf or just a muppet at setting it up! :)

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Harry Potter, Chamber of Secrets. Whomping Willow scene early on & Quidditch scene mid-way thru film (sorry, forgot to check the chapters). Ridiculous amount of bass.:smashin:

8. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    i'll try mucking around with the settings again - it's got to be me... i'll try those dvd's too!

9. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    knoxy try seven its got plenty of "deep bass in places"

as regards sub output, when i first got my pdr8 i did not know what to expect re output (sub only) with music its a very low burble, and the only dvd i had at the time was the sphere, then tried seven and u571, could then get a better idea what the sub does,

tried u571 their is a scene at the begining where the ships guns fire, tried with just fronts ,then replayed with sub as well a very big differance, the same with seven,

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few words of advice.
    While it's nice to try and reproduce earth tremors, what you should really be looking for in setting up your subs is underpinning the rest of your speakers. If your sub is set too high, it will overwhelm your sats and draw far too much attention to itself. If it's set to low, it just won't do the job and for the most part may as well not be there. Crossover is also important. If the sub/sats don't meet properly, and you have too much of a hole, you will lose a lot of mid-range "body". Alternatively, too much over lap and you will almost certainly get a muddy, boomy midrange.
    The crucial meeting point of your sub/sats is where the magic can really come together.

A cut and paste of one of my previous posts many moons ago,

A lot of subs out there go "loud". In fact, many manufacturers spend their time blurting out silly dB figures that look very impressive on paper. What you must realize is that this "loudness" picked up on spl or other meters is in most cases not all faithfull to the original input signal. Usually, much of it, sometimes as much as 30-40% is actually distortion and therfore is far different from the original signal sent out from your amp/processor and is not what you are meant to be hearing.

Always remember........... Loud is easy. Clean is not. Don't look for loud. Look for clean.

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi this is my first sub so nothing to compare with(hello knoxy )but i'm very impressed with mine got it set with the volume at 3.5 dots and did have the cross over full up but turned it down to about 90hz and it did sound better.The trouble now is that i want to upgrade the other speakers:rolleyes:

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That should be Velodyne and other good subwoofer makes :)

13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't a Velodyne dealer when I wrote the original post.

Now that I am, "Velodyne and other good sub makers" it is :)
    I must have had Velodyne in the brain even then :eek: :D

14. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Of course there is the other possibility that the PDR8 isn't such a bad sub? Paradigm does know a thing or two about making speakers/subs so is it such a hard thing to believe?

I think it's because Paradigm are immediately associated with Richer Sounds that the majority of people dismiss their kit without even trying it. I wish they (Paradigm) would sort out a proper distributor on this of the pond so we could have access to their whole line up as their Monitor/Studio and Active ranges are spoken very highly of by people who own them and after hearing a studio setup first hand I can see why.

Eric I don't suppose you fancy being a Paradigm dealer do you? :smashin:

Knoxy, try the ice field scene from Titan AE for a bit of LFE. Still gives me goose bumps when I listen to it :)

Cheers

Dave

15. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    re setting up subs i dont know if there is a better or correct way to integrate with main speakers if one has not got the likes of avia or simular disk,

in my room there is only 2 practical locations for sub, i have main left spkr ,tv small space, kit support, sub,rht main spkr,

so i set up speakers small ,master volume on 3802 (zero) set to -75 with spl sub etc, fr 80hz
    i use tubular bells 3 on mini disk as this is the only source i have that has underlying bass , then play tb3 and adjust sub ,volume and fr r untill i think sub is "blending in " with mains , which can be a bit hard to judge at times whether correct or not,

i

16. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    cheers for those dvd suggestions, i'll give em a shot

the sub is definitely sounding better over time, i changed some settings and moved around and it's very very, whats the phrase, controlled? it doesnt drown out everything but seems to 'compliment' the movie i'm watching?

need to get my hands on a crap sub so i can compare the difference! :)

don't think i can change the x over freqs on my yammy 630 though - so far i've limited changes to setting the fronts and center as small and redirected all bass to the sub

17. SpliffCartel

SpliffCartel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I have a Yamaha 630 too I think xover is limited to 90Hz. I have a CHT-10 with my Acoustic Energy speaker set and I am now trying to set up my bass properly. How far away should a sub be to the wall? Mine is currently between my left main and the tv, approx. 40cms from the wall. I need to get some proper feet for the sub too, as it is currently on the little diddy ones that come with it (not so good on carpet)!