vw8 vector sub or warfedale sw150? im going crazy plz help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kopmjj, Aug 31, 2013.

1. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    hi i have bought denon 3805 for 80 quid and want to partner it with monitor audio vector speakers but im unsure whether to get the package for 300 quid or just buy the speakers for 200 quid and buy the sw150 instead? this is making me mad and crazy as i cant decide what to do?

the only reason im thinking like that is because of many people here complaining the humming issue on the vw8 sub and i even emailed audio visual and they said they wouldn't recommend the package if the hum will annoy me and said monitor audio dont consider this as a fault so they cant take it back. that got me worried. how loud is the hum can i live with it?

what is the difference from the vw8 and the sw150 is it huge?

the vw8 goes lower than sw150 i think but the sw150 has more power(watts)

i really do want to hear from people who also own the vector package and want your review on the vw8. plese come forward and help me out thanks.

please dont recommend me the gemini 2 as i cant afford it now and i want something good for less at the moment. im not even going HD just normal DTS and i think denon 3805 should be excellent for this as it was 1000 quid before when released.

besides my wife isnt agreeing me to spend (waste money) on speakers at all,so the less i spend the better.

please MA Vector owners come here :p

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    For the money I really rate the SW150. My brother in law bought one and it gives a very deep full sound. I would probably go for the vectors with the SW150 to be safe.

3. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    so the extra 70 quid is worth it? what about the vw8 sub it goes as low as 28 frequency responce isnt that better than the sw150 which goes down to 45 hz or am i missing something? please explain thanks.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    I can not see what the dB values are for those quoted at. also the SW150 appears to be rated to 35Hz from what I can see which is not far off the MA sub. If the SW150 is measured at -3dB but the MA at say -6dB then this would explain the difference and both would have similar lower response.
    I have heard the SW150 and you will not be disappointed with it. Specs only go so far to explain what is best. The SW150 my brother in law had was silent when getting no signal and this is well worth the extra £70 if the MA one does have a humming issue.

5. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Don't be to worried about the hum.
    Yes it is there but only noticeable if you really listen for it in a silent room. My dealer was good enough to get 2 other brand new vw8 subs out that had exactly the same level of hum as mine.
    If you read around you will even read posts of RSW-12 owners mention it so its even there on MA's high end kit

6. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    are you satisfied with your vw8? how would you rate it for music and movies?
    but i may be leaning towards the sw150 even though i dont want to spend the extra cash, but i really need someone who has the vw8 to comment on how it sounds.

7. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Tbh it will do for now but I'm looking to upgrade to a more able sub xxls400 or svs sb12 both are in a totally different league to the vw8.

The vw8 is a good looking compact sub with what I would describe as a performance to fit the speaker package it comes with.
    It also gives enough kick in movies to make you jump.

However I like a booming base and my house to rattle during a movie hence looking to future upgrade to larger sub.

Both subs your looking at should be easy enough to get a demo so let your ears make the decision for you and don't make the same mistake I and many others have made by getting hung up on specs and reviews