Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

VW12HT - Throw Distance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sneaky, Dec 29, 2003.

1. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in the VW12HT for my dedicated HC Room. The problem that I have is that the room is only 11.6 * 10.6.

The PJ is about 18" long, it needs 12" at the back for ventilation which gives me a maximum throw distance of 9'.

I have looked at the Projection Calulator on PJCentral and it reckons that for a throw of 9', I can have a screen width of 53", which of course is of no use to man nor beast. I have been using a data projector for testing and I can handle between a 5' and 6' screen before my eyes start to wander.

If the PJCentral calculation is right I can't have the VWHT12 and I will go with my original choice of the HS20.

But in their review they say to get a diagonal of 90" (78"Width) the throw distance will be between 10' and 11.5', which doesn't seem to agree with the Calculator.

Is it me or is the information/calulator a bit misleading. I am new to this so I may be getting something wrong here.

But Help

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the most reliable/acurate.

HS20 is also long throw & quite deep (40cm) so you're still limited to a 10' throw (assuming screen is completely flat against the opposite wall).

You really should be looking at a shorter throw PJ with a room that size.

Yes, assuming viewing distance is approx 9', a 7' (wide) screen would really be pushing it, 6' being about your maximum (reasonable) screen width.

:smoke:

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    I'm fairly sure that the lens on the VW12 is the same as that on its predecessor, the VW10.

The zoom feature is quite limited in range, but as a pure rule of thumb, I estimate you can get an image width about 2/3rds of the throw distance. e.g throw = 9ft; width = +/- 6ft

4. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer,

So you are saying I can reasonably expect to a screen size of between 5' and 6' with the HS20.

If that is so, to be honest a screen of anymore than 6' and your eyes are everywhere.

I am happy with that.

Thanks for the reply

5. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LV,

If I am allowed to call you that.

6. LV426