1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW11HT... brightness setting?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I have 2 questions for other owners of this projector..

1) How high is your brightness control set?
    2) Does a progressive scan image look less dynamic?

My brightness setting is at 84 when calibrated with THX optimode and using the LOW colour temperature. I keep hearing owners of the VW10 saying that brightness is usually set around 50. Has mine been calibrated wrongly at the factory or is this normal for the VW11?
    Leaving my brightness at 50 makes the picture very, very dark to the point of seeing very little picture detail at all. (contrast is at 84).

I'm also finding that using my Pioneer 737 progressive scan output makes the image smoother, but at the expense of some contrast. I'm actually wondering if non progressive is better for some films.

This is not a complaint, because the picture is awsome, and the blacks really are very black.
    I'm very chuffed with it, but also boggled at why my brightness is so high without looking washed out.
    Anyone else experience the same?

2. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i have my contrast set at 80 and brightness at 55 .ive been into the service menu and adjusted some things but i still like the picture at 80 i find i can see more detail and blacks are great
    what lead are you using ???
    i use the 737 and the progsive scan to me make no differance at all (maybe its my eyes) and ive found that pal disc look better through my svhs lead (qed £160) than my rgb ,but rgb does look better on my ntsc discs
    i use my settings with the low colour control as well.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I'm using a £180 10 metre component cable by profigold, and an S-Video cable from the same company.
    I am not daring to go into the service menu, because I'ver read somewhere that the tips for improving contrast on the VW10 do not work on the VW11 because it processes things differently (apparently).
    Mine looks best with component connection on both pal & ntsc.

You're right, progressive scan hardly makes a jot of difference with the 737... strange!

I'm still mistified with my brightness setting though.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im after a vga out from computer to component in on the sony,any ideas where I can get one?
    Thanks,
    Doug

5. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon,
    I am looking for the equivalent of an smf-400(sony cable)(with 5 conversion plugs).-but about 8 metres length.?
    Thanks Doug

7. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Doug, I think what you are talking about is: a VGA to RGBHV cable(+ female BNC to male phono adapters), preferably made with professional 5 core OFC mini coax. Van Damme or Kloitz brands and very good. You could either ask Gordon(Convergent AV), crtprojectors.co.uk, or vdctrading.co.uk.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks wsquared!! Im on the case,
    Doug