Vw-vbn260

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by sachin, Feb 28, 2013.

1. sachin

sachin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I needed to buy a new battery for my TM900 because the one that comes in the box doesn't have enough capacity for shooting outdoors.

I therefore wanted to buy a VW-VBN260. The problem is that I have seen a genuine one being sold for £75 on A...zon, but have seen a lot of duplicates (is that what they are called?) as well going for around £25 or some a lot less. The question is, is it safe to buy these? I've heard that some explode and cause fires and that they don't charge properly and cause memory effects. I am a bit worried about this and so am considering buying the real deal. But then again the cost of the duplicate is enticeing. I have got a duplicate battery for another camcorder I own and it hasn't caused me any problems but then again I might have just been lucky with that one.

Thanks,

Sachin

2. Chelters

Chelters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If it's any help to you, I bought a couple of "copies" of the original size battery, around 2 years ago for my SD700.

Both still hold a good charge and recharge in similar time to the original. One was described as "decoded" and gives a display of the minutes of charge remaining, again as good as the original. The other was not "decoded" and usually shows 1 hour 15 mins more than reality, it's not that much of a problem when you know about it.

As Li-ion is supposed to be happiest around the 40-50% mark. I, when possible, swap batteries way before they are depleted and charge them only when I know I will want them.