VW-VBG6 Battery charger flashes

serazoo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I bought a brand new VW-VBG6 Battery for my Panasonic HDCam.
AND, Ive dropped a used one once on the floor, not intentionally, of course.

BOTH, my new one and the used one now, my charger flashes when I put them to charge.
I've read that there might be a problem with the battery itself...but how could there be a defect in a brand new battery.

Is there a way to fix this myself ?
thx for the replies.

Hi
What exactly do you mean by "Flashes" - Do you mean actual sparks! or is there a LED that flashes ON then nothing...? ( Or continually flashes?)
Can you explain the "normal" light-operation when recharging.
Has dropping the battery caused any obvious breaking of the battery-case?
This might cause the charger connections to bend, if severe and "possibly" that's now affecting the Good Battery.

I suspect there is no way to explain a fix for this, as you have it in front of you and every scenario is likely different.

All goods are potentially "faulty" on Arrival . . . It's just that it happens so rarely, we can't believe it.
A replacement battery should work OK, but now, if yr charger is damaged . . . . you might want to get a second charger too . . . unless you know someone with a spare . . . etc.

Finally, is this a genuine Pana battery? - so the charger will "Recognise" it as such - there's been a lot a discussion here about Battery/Camcorder incompatibility - but not so the Original fails as well.

Good Luck.

May be useful to know if you are using a Panasonic charger or a third party charger. Plus will the battery recharge when installed in the camera? Red light on camera flashes slowly. Panasonic expects users to recharge their batteries on the camera so if this shows abnormal activity then I suspect the battery is damaged.

All my third party chargers show a red LED while charging which changes to green when the battery reaches charged voltage.

That's what used to happen to me when I left batteries for a long, long time. If the battery is fully discharged, you may see the Panasonic charger flash for a while. Leave it, and within 10 mins it should have started and the flashing will have changed to constant illumination.

Dan.

I suggest you first try both batteries being charged when in the camera. If this works just replace the external charger. If it does not work, replace the batteries. As I noted before, Panasonic expect you to charge the batteries when they are mounted in the camera, that is why they supply only a mains charger and a connecting lead.
New batteries usually have some charge in them but, in this case, it would be worth trying "dosdan's" approach. Unfortunately, if it does not work, it will not prove which of the batteries or charger is faulty so the "camera" option is the best way to prove if the batteries are faulty.

OP stated "my Charger Flashes" - so I didn't believe he was using the Camcorder - Also, as I implied if the contacts are damaged, there is the risk you damage the mating connector.
It's not what you, rather how you do it . . . and OP has the benefit of the bits in front of him . . . .

He needs to come back with "better" info, having maybe moved the situation along.

Interesting what Dosdan says, that the charge light is telling you the battery is rather empty . . presumably Out of Range . . . until some time has elapsed, when it is normal-charge.
If batteries have been left for some time in a discharged state, it may require several charge/discharge cycles to elapse before one is confident it really has recovered.

OP stated "my Charger Flashes" - so I didn't believe he was using the Camcorder
That is the point I am making, to try the batteries in the camera rather than a charger and test if it is the batteries that are at fault or the charger.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom