Quantcast

Vw Polo (2013) Handbrake not working after changing pads .

sykotik

Looking for any help ,
I changed my brake pads last week on the rear and now the handbrake will not work ! ( very little bite to it )
stripped everything removed the old pads -
I push ( turned ) the piston back in all the way ,then turned the piston about quarter/ half way back out again,
fitted the pads , put everything back together,
tighten the handbrake cable up ( under the centre console ) till it's about 3 clicks on the lever
and since then the hand brake hasn't been working , no bite or very little bite to it ,
tighten the cable up some more but still not working

have i mist something or done something wrong while changing the pads,

i have changed many pads over the years , and just done what i normally do , but this time it's not working ..

any thoughts ?

gibbo52

You shouldn't be needing to tighten the cable, that's probably what's wrong, slacken the cable off and see if it adjusts the pads in the caliper.

freddie5

I presume its discs on the rear??

Does pulling the handbrake lever actually move the lever on the caliper??

I would slacken the handbrake cables right off, then pump the footbrake a good few times, then re-adjust the cables until they just begin to lift the lever on the caliper off their stops.

sykotik

You shouldn't be needing to tighten the cable, that's probably what's wrong, slacken the cable off and see if it adjusts the pads in the caliper.
I had to tighten the cable as the pads where getting low and there was no grip it all at , after tightening the cable i it worked ( but this a good while ago ) i only just round to replacing them , hence having to loosen the cable ..
I presume its discs on the rear??

Does pulling the handbrake lever actually move the lever on the caliper??

I would slacken the handbrake cables right off, then pump the footbrake a good few times, then re-adjust the cables until they just begin to lift the lever on the caliper off their stops.
Yes discs on the rear .

only been by my self while working on the car so not sure if pulling the cable does anything ,
i guess i could remove the wheel and get someone ( GF) to pull the handbrake while im looking at the caliper,

i'l try that ( loosen off - and pump the brakes ) and readjust the cable to see if that does anything
while im on .
thanks

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Did you reset the brakes after changing the pads?

With the engine off, press the brake pedal repeatedly as hard as you can. This resets the ratchet for the handbrake to the correct position. Now when you pull the handbrake it should bite correctly.

gibbo52

I had to tighten the cable as the pads where getting low and there was no grip it all at , after tightening the cable i it worked ( but this a good while ago ) i only just round to replacing them , hence having to loosen the cable ..
As I said you shouldn't be touching the cable, this is probably where you've gone wrong, with all due respect not knowing what you're doing and tightening the cable could have made the adjuster in the caliper not work and could be unrecoverable, do as said and try braking several times with the cable fully off and see if the caliper re-adjusts, if not you could need 2 new calipers.

sykotik

Did you reset the brakes after changing the pads?

With the engine off, press the brake pedal repeatedly as hard as you can. This resets the ratchet for the handbrake to the correct position. Now when you pull the handbrake it should bite correctly.
Didn't work ,^
going to remove the wheels and see if i can see anything that doesn't right , however , i had the caliper off the other day and the piston is moving , as i had to wind it back again ( forgot to turn it back out quarter way )

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Did you slacken off the cables first?

You need to at least reset the cables to where they were and I would consider winding the calipers back in and starting again.

Do the rear brakes work? Are you seeing the surfaces of the disc polish up or is there any dragging?

Delvey

Distinguished Member
As I said you shouldn't be touching the cable, this is probably where you've gone wrong, with all due respect not knowing what you're doing and tightening the cable could have made the adjuster in the caliper not work and could be unrecoverable, do as said and try braking several times with the cable fully off and see if the caliper re-adjusts, if not you could need 2 new calipers.
This, if it is like my 2005 golf (most likely) the handbrake should self adjust, the only time you need to adjust the cable under the centre section is when the pads are changed.
You may have overstretched the cable

sykotik

Did you slacken off the cables first?

You need to at least reset the cables to where they were and I would consider winding the calipers back in and starting again.

Do the rear brakes work? Are you seeing the surfaces of the disc polish up or is there any dragging?
Nope , jump in the car and press as hard is i could on the peddle and nothing.

yes the calipers work bud :smashin: there have been worn a bit.

think i'll start again ,
slacken the HB cable , remove the calipers wind them back in , turn back out 1/4 way , put back together , press the brake in ( while engine is off , a few times ) then tighten the HB and see if that works ...

IronGiant

Woo hoo :clap: glad you got it sorted.