Question VW Passat Chinese android unit

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Professor Chaos, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Hi all,

Recently bought a second hand Passat and the previous owner had recently fitted an android unit in the car.

I'm still trying to get to grips with it but my biggest gripe is the fm radio reception is rubbish despite my local audio fitter making sure two aerials are connected to the unit, but it's still rubbish in built up areas where I normally get zero reception.

Anyone else having similar issues? Is there a way to overcome this? AM radio is generally ok and better than FM.

Also, can anyone recommend some good guides in the net for these pieces of kit?

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,357
    A model number or a photo might be helpful?
    I steered clear when I was replacing the RCD300 in my Golf. If you don't care much and only want the FM radio then it shouldn't be too much hassle to swap back for an OEM unit - there are plenty on eBay for £40-50.

3. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I have the OEM unit as well. It was provided with the car. Problem is apart from the rubbish radio recepyion I quite like the unit as I can download apps, etc and I have a front dash cam already fitted and hopefully reverse camera will be fitted next week.

I'll provide the model number when I get home.

4. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
  5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,357
    I vaguely remember this from when I was looking to upgrade my Golf headunit - there are 2 aerials in my car - a rooftop over the back and another built into the rear windscreen which may be powered(?). That's why there are two connectors, it's called "diversity" apparently.
    The RCD300 I had has some electronics that picks the best signal by combining the two inputs.
    As there was all this complexity I decided not to bother trying to fit a DAB capable unit as replacing the aerial system sounded like a lot of trouble and while I listen to 6Music all day in the house I don't generally bother with the radio in the car.

In fact when I tried it out at the weekend I discovered the radio wasn't working at all :eek: a quick pull and I discovered the aerial connector had come out - which then reminded me I'd bought a loom adapter with a dual Fakra connector and a small box that turns those two connections into a standard ISO aerial connector.
    This one...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2...OS-/171286399176?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

I found these links that may be helpful as the Passat and Golf share stuff.
    http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/96494-Twin-fakra-aerial-adapter-worth-using
    http://www.my-gti.com/1389

It seems to me that if your Android unit hasn't got the diversity stuff inside then you might be better off using an external unit to combine them or even using just one of the feeds.
    The links suggest the rear screen aerial is FM only so if you're looking for MW/LW then you need the rooftop. (assuming it's all the same on the Passat).
    My MW/LW doesn't seem to be working - but as I don't know any MW/LW station frequencies and don't have any radios that use those bands with aerials in the house perhaps there's nothing wrong with the car.