VW Golf SE 1.9tdi - when should the cambelt be changed?

chocohoop

Standard Member
About to buy a 2006 VW Golf SE 1.9tdi with 54,000 miles on clock. Garage selling it says they will change cambelt if it needs changing. Can someone please tell me at what intervals it should be changed on this car?

car-man

In my opinion, at 54,000 miles it's overdue.

It should be changed at 40,000 miles or 4 years, in my opinion.

Insist on the belt kit being replaced and insist on a new water pump.

mr:w

Get the garage to change it, then you know it's good to go for at least another 60k miles - also get the waterpump done at the same time.

Always had the cambelts done on my last 3 Golfs every 60k miles / 4 years, the dealers may say longer but having been left with a £4k engine rebuild when the cambelt went on my Audi I don't take chances any more!

nerro

Is it normal practice for the mechanic to tell you that the cambelt needs to be changed when you take your car in for a service? Or do you have to request this from them?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Is it normal practice for the mechanic to tell you that the cambelt needs to be changed when you take your car in for a service? Or do you have to request this from them?
Depends on the garage and how the car's been serviced etc.

If it's been regularly serviced and you're talking about a proper dealer, they'll know when it's due and if experience shows that it should be done earlier, either way you'll be advised without asking.

If it's an independent and you've no service history, you'd do best to specifically ask them to take a look at it.
It's not cheap, but can save a major disaster.

mjn

Distinguished Member
It used to be every 60k miles or 4 years, whichever comes sooner, but recently i believe it changed to every 40k miles or 4 years, again whichever comes sooner.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom