VW Golf duel mass flywheel problem

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by fatal-infection, May 31, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Can anyone help on this matter? Basicaly I own a 54 plate VW golf TDI 2.0. I received a saftey recall letter september last year stating that my car needed to go into to the garage to have the duel mass flywheel checked as it could fail and at worse and catch fire. So I took it in and had it serviced at the same time. VW said it was fine and should not be concerned.

Anyhow 8 months later my car starts to make an awefull clattering noise from the engine. I ignore at first but it just gets worse, so i called the VW garage and they tell me to bring the car in. So at the garage VW check the car over and say its the duel mass flywheel. OK. They then tell me depending on what duel mass flywhell is in the car will determine how much its going to cost me to get repaird! They then produce a bill for £1700!!!

My heart sunk. What do i do. At first i told them to repair it. I went home had a think then the next morning i called a few more garages and got a quote for £869. So i took the car out of VW and it is to be repaired tomorrow.

Since then i have been going through the situation.

VW said they could not give me an acurate quote because they dont know what flywheel is in the car untill they take it apart?

8 months earlier they should have checked my duel mass flywheel as they have said its ok, so they should know what one is in my car right?

I confront them and they tell me yeah you can tell by looking at the shape of the gear box. LOL:rotfl:

Im no idiot but i recon i have the faulty duel mass fly wheel and they failed to check my car correctly in the first place.

Where do i stand and what should i do ??

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    One of our members is a VAG diesel engine person and it may be worth waiting for him to pop along....I will drop him a line and see if he can advise.

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Dual mass flywheel failures are a common problem in VAG diesels unfortunately.
    (Actually, I think that dual mass flywheels may be a common problem in modern diesels generally.)

As your car is 2004 vintage it's outside of warranty now so you are unlikely to get a replacement for free.

4. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161

5. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161

I've convinced myself i am within my rights to have this done for free as it is a possible health risk. If this set fire to my car then it could halm or injure whoever is in it. Plus if it is an affected flywhell then it should have been done for free like all the other ones and i shouldn't have been ingnored. Thats just my own feelings on this.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I'm not sure if he can help,but it's worth a try,so I've asked him.

7. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Alexs2 has PM'd me about this.

If the OP would PM me his VRN or VIN number I will look at the build inventory data.

Whilst it is true that there have been defects with some DMFs I cannot help feeling that a 6 year old vehicle is unlikely to benefit from goodwill.

I have never known a fire to result from a DMF failure. They break apart and the transmission stops. Power train failure is the result. You correctly describe the "rattly engine" symptoms of a failing DMF. There are other possible causes, though. Does the noise alter on depressing the clutch?

I will need to see the full service history. If all services have been performed within our franchised dealer network and on time I may be inclined to assist with the cost of repairs.

The problem the OP has is that the DMF life is affected by clutch control and overall driving style. I will also seek ECU data showing that programme authenticity is maintained. In the event of chipping or software alteration I will reject any claim.

Please give full ownership details. How long you owned the vehicle. How many previous owners etc. Where is the vehicle currently?

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. riget

riget
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    But the car had a recall 8 months ago, and the op was told it was ok.
    It failed 8 months later, for me it clearly was not ok.
    I would ask what was checked in the recall, and why did they say it was ok.

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I would now leave this to sean5302 and fatal-infection,as sean has kindly agreed to look into it as his post details above.

10. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Just to let you know i have also been in contact with customer services and am waiting a reply from a manager.

11. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    [QUOTE
    I have never known a fire to result from a DMF failure. They break apart and the transmission stops. Power train failure is the result. You correctly describe the "rattly engine" symptoms of a failing DMF. There are other possible causes, though. Does the noise alter on depressing the clutch? QUOTE]

The guy at the VW gagrage i went to had told me he had seen some catch fire as they get so hot. It also states this on the VOSA web site

12. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I received your visitor message, not the PM I asked for.

I need to know the current mileage and where the vehicle is currently located.

Which franchised dealer did the inspection last year?

Who have you spoken to at VWCS Milton Keynes?

Please reply by PM.

13. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Ok my mistake PM sent

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  14. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Sean has been unable to help me so far. I just keep hearing one excuse after another as to why this work should not be done for free. The last one was the funniest. My car does not have full VW service history. Well that is ileagal becasue by law you are entiltled to get your car serviced where ever you want without it voiding your waranty. This law has been in place since 2003. Looks like this may go to court

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I think it's possibly a bit unfair on Sean who has done what he can to help.

I wouldn't describe his responses as excuses,but as genuine advice,and an effort to help.

16. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    What sort of milage are we talking here?

17. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    I was under the impression that the car was out of warranty, and Sean was looking to see if something could be done under goodwill. I know that some dealers, if you have serviced your car regularly with them, will pay towards some repair bills - maybe the labour costs - even if you are out of warranty. Generally, the younger the car, the more likely this is to happen.

18. Captain_Danger

Captain_Danger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I had my Ford Mondeo 130TDCI DMF done under the purchased 1 years warranty that I chose. Initially the warranty company said they wouldn't cover it, despite it being listed & covered in the warranty T&C's. However after the garage jumped up and down at them the warranty company agreed to pay for the parts and labout for the DMF but I had to pay for the clutch parts, which I was willing to do.

Bottom line is, these companies will try and wriggle all they can to get out of paying out for stuff.

19. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Sorry but it really didn't feel like help. I felt like i was being interigated from the first message and any little flaw was highlight or made an excuse of.

Bottom line is my car was recalled for a (exagerated) Life or death situation. The car could have been a health hazard. My car is in the effected batch.

Car was checked 8 months ago

car failed 8 months later

Work should be guatanteed for 12months!

Age of irrelevent.

Millage irrelevent.

Recall means work is carried out by Dealer at own expense!

Under normal circumstances and i had received no letter yes i can understand these things do fail. But I did and was was deemed as faulty!

20. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    People would be far more likely to help you (dealers and forum members) if you have a reasonable attitude, we are interested and will help when and if we can.

21. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Look im sorry, yes i have begun to rant. If you look at my previous posts i have been more placid, and i am not the normal sort of person to rant. But please just put yourself in my shoes for 1 second and tell me you wouldn't. Its not a nice place to be right now. I'm being put on the back foot and am forced to defend myself.

Im sorry if i offended anyone, this is my issue and ill leave it at that.

22. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Good luck with this - I really hope you get a solution that is satisfactory for you :smashin:

23. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    OK, here's a suggestion - write to the dealer, and copy to VAG headquarters in UK (since I assume the dealer is just a franchise and not actually owned by VAG). Explain that your car went in for recall for flywheel, and the flywheel has now failed 8 months after it was inspected, and that you do not think it should have failed so soon after it was apparently deemed to be fit for purpose. Ask for them to rectify the fault. Be polite but firm.

Also, might be worth talking to trading standards to see where you stand regarding this.

24. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    In that case I'll close this now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.