VW Caddy glow plug replacement cost

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by NewfieDrool, Apr 5, 2016.

1. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Hello
    I've just had my van serviced and MOT and while testing the company who did the work found a fault with 2 glow plugs.
    Nothing's showing on my dash as warning and they said once either starts to create a problem my coil light will flash yellow and then if I ignore it the light will go red.

Now not knowing a blind bit on motors the quote had me fainting. It's over £500 or could go up to £1200 if a plug snaps on removal as the head will need to be removed.
    The van is 8 years old and they told me they can be a job to shift when they have been sat there that long.

So is it really that expensive to change glow plugs?? Must be far different than my old mini where I took spark plugs out every month with ease.

2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,375
    I suggest you don't use that garage again. Glow plugs are £10-15 each, yes they can be a pain to remove but if they come straight out its an easy job that shouldnt cost £500.

Ps. No experience of a caddy but have changed them on a T4 before.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  3. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Cheers, it's strange as they have ways been very fair price wise, always used them.

My drive shaft boot is also damaged, it's in two parts and they said that could end up at £780 depending on what they find when they remove the boot.

4. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,375
    Again that seems way expensive, it may just need a new rubber boot, the longer you leave it the more chance of causing damage to the cv joint, even then a new drive shaft is around £100 and cv joint kit half that. It's front wheel drive isn't it?

5. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Yes front wheel drive.
    Couple of pics of the problems they sent me.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I'd take it elsewhere

7. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385
    Firstly, If you aren't having issues with starting then I would relax and get the glow plugs tested elsewhere or test them yourself if you can rig up a test lamp or use a multi meter.
    To test the glow plugs you remove each glow plug wire and attach a test lamp to positive battery terminal and then to each glow plug electrical connector in turn...a good plug will light the test lamp or show voltage using a multi meter...a dead glow plug will show zero voltage or not light the test lamp.
    At this time of year you won't be needing glow plugs so the job could wait a while...in the meantime you could squirt WD40 or penetrating oil on the glow plug threads as many times as you like allowing it to soak into the threads overnight or when the van is out of use....this will allow a good prospect of removing the plugs without breaking any.
    As for the cv joint boot /rubber....that is a simple garage job which should cost no more than an hour labour plus the part...usually less than a £100 in total depending on labour rates in your area.
    Where the damage to the cv joint boot is located is a good place as less grease can be expelled and so extend the life of the cv joint, but don't leave it too long before you have it sorted...by another garage, as Delvey says.

8. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385

You're a brave man! The glow plugs on some of the T4 can be a monster of a job as some plugs are behind the injection pump.

9. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Thanks again everyone who's posted.
    I've a chap opposite me that owns a garage locally so might be worth asking them to check the plugs.
    I do get a 2 year warranty through the other company and I take it I can ask that if the drive unit is replaced that they put the old unit in the back of the van so I can have a peep at it.
    On both prices they have quoted the top figure it could cost after I spoke to them and I could go for a fingers crossed its ok.
    They did say I can drive it with the glow plugs as they are until the warning light shows up but they recommended the boot be done ASAP. Again they said it could be just the rubber boot needed or the complete unit if damaged which takes 2 hours to do.
    I've used this garage for 6 years and I know they are pretty good, this year I got a years worth of break down cover under the AA for free which is handy for those glows :) they replaced a front light a few years back for no charge and until 2 years back MOTs were free.
    My hope is that the drive is ok, I do around 2500 mile a year so touch wood it's ok. The report did say no dirt is entering the unit so perhaps that's good news.

10. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,948
    As you have all the details of what needs to be done you can ring around a few garages and get them to give you estimates. As you trust the original garage you might want to go back there but armed with the numbers from others. It's entirely possible that they are giving you the worst case costs so you don't faint if they do find a messed up CV joint or snap all the plugs but as others have suggested these jobs shouldn't be that expensive so try and find out what the minimum cost is likely to be too.
    If you're planning on keeping the van then I can't see any point in waiting until it lets you down to do the plugs, they aren't going to get better on their own and breakdowns rarely happen at a convenient moment.

All those "free" things are paid for by someone, somehow mind!

11. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Just a quick update, CV boot changed today. Just over £200 which I'm happy with to be honest.
    Plugs to be checked out later on or if the dash lights start to give a yellow warning.