VW / Audi DSG Auto - anyone got one?

common

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just ordered an A3 S-line with a DSG auto - couldn't get a test drive but all the reviews say they are very good - any views / comments

I've not driven one so perhaps I shouldn't comment.The reviews are,as you say, generally positive,though I did read somewhere that hill starts can be interesting!It's brave of you to order one without a test drive,I could never do that.As I understand it the second clutch pre-selects the next gear.I know I've asked this before,but how does it know whether you want to go up or down the box next?It must be possible to confuse it in certain situations.
Regards
Ian

I test drove one, it was about the best semi-automatic I've driven so far, but I still went for a maunal (Audi A3 sportback) as I still prefer a manual shift.

I had one on test drive for a couple of days, the first day it was great "playing" with it, the next day I drove into London and left it in auto mode,so for me didn't consider it worth the extra money (tax actually, it is a company car) - maybe I am getting old :(

Having said that I don't think you will be dissapointed the A3 is a cracking car.

What engine have you ordered?

Sheks

Went for the 2.0 TDI - on my list the DSG didn't impact the CO2 so thought I might as well go for it, wouldn't usually order without a test drive but was given the choice of ordering a new car that day or wait another 3 months !

Excellent choice, I've got the 2.0 TDI.

It's the first deisel I've had (apart from the wife's car), the last engine I had was the 1.8 20v petrol turbo which was lovely and smooth, quick and refined and I was really worried that I would miss the performance, but not at all.

The torque of the 2.0 TDi is immense (same value as the 3.2 V6 petrol @ 320nm). Off the lights, from a standing start its not that quick (you run out of revs in first gear), but when on the go, the in-gear times are stunning, and I am sure my 2.0 TDI sportback is a quicker point to point car than my old VW 1.8T 20v.

Not that I care too much as it is a company car, but the fuel consumption is amazingly low too. (as you say good low CO2 emmissions)

The only thing to watch is the oil consumption, you have to use Audi approved oil to remain on the variable service intervals and that is £12 per litre :eek: , when you get the car there is a litre of the stuff in a little soft case in the boot tho. I've done approx 7000 miles and have used 2 litres of the stuff.

In summary, you won't regret, its a cracking car and stunning diesel engine, enjoy :thumbsup:

Sheks

Thanks mate - looking forward to that torque and the DSG ! still not sure about the new front grill but i'm sure I will get used to it - I do like the s-line styling though, must be a bit of boy racer in me somewhere, I do love a small hatch, a bit lower on 18" wheels ! just a shame I have to wait till Jan for delivery..

I wasn't sure on the front grille, but now thinks it looks the business.

I have the Sport, with the big alloys and lowered suspension and it is great fun (especially in the wet with all that torque when you turn the traction control off). :devil:

Nightmare on the delivery, I think mine was about 12-14 weeks, still at least it gives you something to look forward to after Christmas :thumbsup:

Enjoy

Pic:http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18720&stc=1
Audi 5.jpg

Attachments

• Audi 5.jpg
    Audi 5.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 416
V nice - here's how mine should look

Attachments

• a3 2.jpg
    a3 2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 253
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 186
ive got an A3 3.2 V6 S-line with the dsg box.

on the whole its excellent, but it does have its naunces that you'll 'enjoy' finding out about - especially moving away from a complete standstill (ie. at a roundabout) and finding there is no movement for about 1/10th of a second... just makes you hit the accelerator a but earlier than you would on other cars.

overall, you'll have so much fun with it though, esp on A roads when you plant your foot down and go through the gears.

but you are indeed a brave man for ordering it without driving it - the dsg box is not everyone's cup of tea, and it depends how you drive your car. i managed to test drive the 2.0 TDI you are going for with the dsg box and was so impressed with it.

a few people ive spoken to about this box seem to think that its a manual box first and then an auto. god knows where they got this idea; make no mistake its an auto box, that allows you to change gears. Saying that the 'D' mode is useful for in-town driving and suchlike but the 'S' mode is insane. Mostly, you'll be paddle driving though, thats where the fun is.

btw; you may want to look at the Audi Sport Forums for some information about what current owners find good/bad about the box...

Thanks for taking the time to feedback mate - all sounds good so far (i think) I do about 30,000 miles a year, increasingly in traffic so the DSG does sound perfect for those frustrating fridays on the M4 and sunday mornings around oxfordshire where I live !

do you know if the 2.0 TDI you are getting comes with the Launch Control feature?

No...didn't go for that from the options...sounds like I should have done

to be honest, you'd probably only use it once when you get the car (just to try it out), and whenever some of your mates are in the car and you want to do a bit of racing

saying that though, its fantastic :thumbsup:

Basically, just do this:

• switch off ESP (ie. traction control and other toys)
  • put it in gear
  • left foot hard down on the brake
  • right foot on accelerator till you get about 3000 revs and hold revs
  • lift left foot quickly and completely off brake

then hit 62mph in about 6.5 seconds.

I couldnt believe that the car had this 'feature'. But its in the manual :thumbsup:

It makes a difference, but I dont use it everyday (for obvious reasons). Its just useful when you come alongside a chav in anything less than a 911/BMW M3 and want to make him look like a tw@t.

GavTNewbie said:
Basically, just do this:

• put it in gear

I couldnt believe that the car had this 'feature'. But its in the manual :thumbsup:

It makes a difference, but I dont use it everyday (for obvious reasons). Its just useful when you come alongside a chav in anything less than a 911/BMW M3 and want to make him look like a tw@t.

That's useful then :rolleyes:

GavTNewbie said:
Basically, just do this:

• put it in gear

Almost - well, on the TT anyway:

- switch off ESP
- put it into S
- left foot on the brake
- FLOOR the throttle, the car's ECU will hold the revs @ 3,000 rpm
- foot off the brake and hang on and enjoy :thumbsup:

My parents is ordering a A3 Sportback 2.0TDI with DSG, he stalls the car easily thats why he's getting the DSG. :rolleyes:

Launch control is not available on the 2.0TDI - just the 3.2.

Dont know about the 2.0TFSI........

Hi,

looking for a scart lead but came across this thread!

Been fortunate enough to have had A3 sportback S-Line DSG 2.0 TDi since May this year. I also had a long wait (16 weeks) from order to delivery.

Re the DSG, it is every bit as good as you think it is. The harder you drive, the smoother the gear change seems. Changing up is a dream, but you can occasionally confuse it when changing down quickly. When slowing for roundabouts, etc, best to manually downshift and ensure you are in the right gear to make a quick getway, caught me out a few times!

It's not the most powerful motor on the road by a long way, but boy do you make rapid progress when you are going up the gears....and it sounds pretty good too.

Only criticism I have is if you are sitting at lights and you put the handbrake on, it engages / disengages drive when you take your foot off the brake, sounds pretty naf and causes the car nose to lift up then down again..solution, don't bother using handbrake at lights..

Also quite heavy on front tyres, as I found out after 11K miles..

I am totally sold on this motor, it oozes quality, and when I first had it (and it was clean), the S line profile seriously turns some heads. But above all DSG really makes this car.

Cheers.

I had an 04 S-line tdi and loved it, swapped it for a Cab and then regretted it, the DSG is the best gearbox I have ever had and I go through cars quite frequently, keep them around 3-6 months, so I have had a fair few including mercs auto, bmw steptronic, audi tiptronic and multitronic and drive some of the more expensive stuff with semi auto boxes, the DSG is superb!

The A3 is a very good car all round really, enjoy!

Worth joining www.tyresmoke.net and www.audi-sport.net .

Got my A3 on monday, The S Line looks really nice in black, well impressed with the DSG - sport mode is very nice ! mixes nicely with the torque from the 2.0 TDI engine - the 3.2 petrol engine in sport mode must be scary !

We have had an A3 DSG 2.0tdi for just over a year and its FAB! The DSG is an outstanding gearbox, just had an oil change on the gearbox (£140) which becomes due at 40,000 miles. I can't get the car from her indoors grasp!!

We also have a Golf 2.0 tdi manual which is no where near as much fun.

Its def the best gearbox I have used, its got a quick gearchange but it can stall sometimes when cold! So beware.

Cheers

Tone

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom