VW 2005 55 Passat TDi cambelt question

Exemplar

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought the above, 2005 55 plate. It's got 157k on the clock but is absolutely mint, and I mean mint!!

Question is when is the cambelt due, some people say 80k, others 60k, others 40k.

It was last changed at 80k so I'm erring towards it needing a change PDQ!

Also does anyone know of a garage in the Nottingham, Grantham, Lincoln triangle that can do it for me?

Thanks,

Alex

Shark performance at mansfield are worth a look, they are highly recommended on many forums, hopefully not too far from you.

It always seems to be a grey area when I have asked a couple of dealers but it appears the general consensus is 40,000 miles or 4 years, which ever sooner........better get your skates on !

Im absolutely sure some will say its OK for longer but I dont think its one of those things that are worth the risk........

Yep, get it done as soon as.

Get the water pump changed as well!

Yep, get it done as soon as.

Get the water pump changed as well!

1+ on the water pump.....failure rate is low on these but they are peanuts to buy a new one.....so just as well do it if you plan to keep the car for any length of time.

4yr 60k VW dropped the 80k 5yr a while back on the Pd engine (if that's the one) like other say swap the Water pump make sure you keep it as you need to exchange it to get half you money back, and go genuine for the pump forget the aftermarket types.

It's the 1.9 from the previous model if that helps?

Alex

Replace the water pump with one that has a metal impeller, it's the plastic orignal ones that cause the problems (in my experience) the plastic bit breaks off and stops pumping the water.

Any ideas on cost please?

Im having this exact job done on my 1.9 tdi and its gonna be ÂŁ230 (inc VAT/Labour/Genuine Part). That dosent include a new water pump which I will probably go for too, but that wont be much. This is my usual local garage - they are a good quality independent. They are offering me same price they did it for me four years ago but I squeezed them !

car-man said:
Replace the water pump with one that has a metal impeller, it's the plastic orignal ones that cause the problems (in my experience) the plastic bit breaks off and stops pumping the water.

Pretty sure the problem plastic impeller problem Was a few yrs go and is now sorted, the metal impellers in my experience are not in the genuine pumps. Always prepared to be wrong though.

The last one I did I charged ÂŁ280 which included a water pump, coolant and a new aux belt.

I never fit genuine water pumps as I don't trust them.

Every one I've ever replaced has had a plastic impeller.....I only use metal ones.

4 1/2hr labour mine cost ÂŁ350 that's with a gates cambelt kit/ini tensioners and genuine water pump the one that was taken out was genuine with no issues on a 05 plate 1.9pd that plastic impeller issue was from 2001 the pump has been upgraded since then some info here http://www.blauparts.com/audi_water..._water_pump_plastic_impeller_controversy.html
you also need 1lt of VW G++ coolant Thats around ÂŁ12-17 depends were you look though.

Last edited:
4 1/2hr labour mine cost ÂŁ350 that's with a gates cambelt kit/ini tensioners and genuine water pump the one that was taken out was genuine with no issues on a 05 plate 1.9pd that plastic impeller issue was from 2001 the pump has been upgraded since then some info here Audi Water Pump Impeller - Audi Water Pump Impeller Debate
you also need 1lt of VW G++ coolant Thats around ÂŁ12-17 depends were you look though.

Thanks for the info.

My problem is that having been bit by the problem a couple of times I shy away from the plastic type.They may well be alright now, but I have to put my name to each job and need to be sure there aren't any comebacks.

It's quite a big job on these cars to be having to do the job twice.

Car-man which area of the UK are you ? are you taking on work from everyone or are you trade only ?

Thanks for the info.

My problem is that having been bit by the problem a couple of times I shy away from the plastic type.They may well be alright now, but I have to put my name to each job and need to be sure there aren't any comebacks.

It's quite a big job on these cars to be having to do the job twice.

no problem , i went though all this plastic and metal impeller when i first got the Pd engine give me a right headache :( the garage i use has not seen that issue for a while and they use the VW pumps on there Cambelt jobs and when picking up parts at seat i asked the same they said they have not seen a broken impeller for years so i just went genuine and that vid above makes sense about the metal being heavier as the system is designed for a light weight impeller,
when they they took out the old pump it was the new PPs version and felt pretty new with no sign of damage also pritty sure it was the first belt change as well because i phoned every garage in the service history,i no what you mean about putting your name to the job though what gets me is the pumps are all around the same price no matter what make.

Car-man which area of the UK are you ? are you taking on work from everyone or are you trade only ?

I'm in East Lancashire.

I do work for anyone, but I'm on holiday until the 20th of August, I'll be away keeping well away from cars until then :)

Well a call placed to my local garage resulted in ÂŁ301. That is for VW timing belt full kit and VW water pump. Price includes fitting and VAT.

I think that's pretty good?

Alex

Yeah ÂŁ300 is about average, some cost a bit more, some cost a bit less, but they are all around the ÂŁ300 mark for belt and pump.

Well picked it up this morning. Mechanic took it on a 30 mile spin. Runs beautifully, no noises, squeaks or rattles (unlike the scenic!). Bliss.

Quick update!

I drove it to Grimsby and back Sunday and I noticed (as did the others in the car) a sound like a wheel bearing on the way out, you know the constant whine I'm talking about.

So took it to the garage this morning and mentioned it. The mechanic said 'that will be Passat whine then'. I asked what that was and his instant reply was 'I worked for Heron VW for 15 years. The noise you are talking about is caused by uneven wear on the rear tyres due to not enough weight being put in the boot'.

So he put it up on the ramp and hey presto he was right! Bonkers!

The situation was remedied by me walking to Greggs the bakers and buying 3 Belgian buns. When I got back they had rotated the tyres for me.

No noise.... Bonkers.

That sounds nuts! I hate annoying car problems like that. All sorted by rotating the tyres.

All sorted by three Belgian buns you mean!

Yes it's annoying but all cars have annoying traits. It's like looking on the car forums, you only hear the negative, never the positive!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom