1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vw 12ht

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pip_UK, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6 months ago I sent my 11HT to be cleaned due to dust blobs
    Sony cleaned it but sent it back worse than it was originally. I sent it back (at their expense) and the technician accidentally dropped it on the floor. They sent me a new prism block (in the old case) and it turned out it was faulty. They collected it and soak tested it (whatever that means) and returned it saying they couldn't establish what the fault was. It would not project in ceiling front mode so could only watch a projected image back to front.

They contacted Sony Germany where is was from (go2camcorder.co.uk) and they offered to replace it. I waited six months and I eventually received a 12HT as a replacement.

Although it w as apin watching a reversed image for several months I am ecstatic with my new 12HT. I have nothing but admiration for the Sony workshop guys in Basingstoke who have been extremely helpful and friendly when I have contacted them, especially Andy Rosaic.

The 12HT comes with a red filter and Image Director on CD ROM which adjusts the rgb gamma values directly via a com port on the computer directly to the 12HT. I did not attempt this but used the AVIA test patterns to adjust the rgb values and there is a mssive improvement in contrast and picture quality over the 11HT. The thing that really strikes me is how vivid the colours are over the 11HT

Pip

2. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great, so you have used the red filter and the avia.

was this much better that the out the box setting?

I have seen the smart cal, software and filters but this is pricey.

its funny I posted about the ht12 today and there is a lot of talk about it.

All the best

D

3. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Take a look at www.avsforum.com where there is currently a 9 page thread about this PJ (about time too). Seems that many are aggressively against anything LCD and SONY regardless of price, whereas I think that the 12HT at £4k represents real value compared with a £9K DLP. Means that you can buy this now, get most if not all of the picture quality you would get from the DLP and be less out of pocket when the technology settles down a bit in 2 years time (relatively speaking of course).

(sorry for mentioning the competition :))
    R

4. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren,

Yeah I used avia to set the RGB values (using custom4). I then used the blue filter (supplied with avia) to set hue and saturation.

Once I had set contrast, brighteness and sharpness the picture quality was substantially better than a picture projected without the red sony filter.

One other thing ... cinema black and the red filter makes the picture too dark ... it looks heaps better with cinema black off.

Russ,

The only CRT's I have seen are in a couple of pubs in Brighton and Burger King (of all places!). Due to the ambient light, the picture was washed out. I suspect CRT's come into their own in dark rooms. I watch Sky TV via rgb on the 12 HT during the day and the picture is still very watchable (very little artefact even on old stuff)

Pip

5. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I understand, What setting are u useing on the PJ, I have a philips 962 dvd player set to 16.9...running into a 16.9 screen.

What do you prefer on the pj settings, to fill the screen or to not.

wide, full,zoom??

I cant tell the difference with the menu from the 11ht, it looks exactly the same.

D

6. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyones preffered settings?

7. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren,

I use full-through mode 16:9 for tv and dvd

8. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant seem to get it to look right, Im useing 16.9 on my dvd player.but when I use this on the projector dosent seem to look right, im not getting the black bars top and bottom. I no that I have setup the distance correctly with the test pattern just filling the screen, so what am I doing wrong, Ive only just set all this after all this time.

could you go into more detail on you settings, the new divvy guide!!!

Thanks