• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vuvuzela (Most annoying things on tv)

Haggler

Prominent Member
The most annoying things ever invented?

Imagine actually paying to see a game at the world cup and sitting next to that racket, i'd be seeking to demand my money back, it's bad enough just listening to the drone on tv and it's constant for the full 90 minutes.

The people blowing these things have either plenty of excess wind or synchronise themselves so that when a few people run out of it others take over.

Thankfully the pic below is only a mockup, just imagine if this caught on and replaced guitar hero!!!

vuvuzelahero550x4121.jpg

Thoughts an opinions? :D

MontyPS3

Established Member
I think anyone else that complains or moans about the vuvuzelas deserve to be woken up every 2hrs by triple bonded vuvuzelas!

Lee

Someone in our street has one :(
After making me listen to that racket earlier in the link you posted, I'm sending everyone in your street one :p

Haggler

Prominent Member

Michael

Prominent Member
I think that if the SA can claim that distraction as their cultural speciality, mebe in 2018 we can get thousands of scotsmen with the wonderful pipes?

Last edited:

Citizen J

Prominent Member
It wouldn't be so annoying if the sound correlated to the action on the pitch but it doesn't. All you get is an incessant sound like a horde of elephants in your eardrums for ninety minutes.

If the crowd starting tooting them when there is a chance to score or someone does score it would not be an issue. I have to say I find them profoundly annoying.

overkill

Distinguished Member
Don't see the big deal really. They're no more annoying than the constant sound of air horns that you could hear non stop at very major tournament in the 70's and early 80's.

But then those tournaments were played in countries that the commentators were wary of taking a pop at..................... :cool:

overkill

Distinguished Member

Praxidike

Banned
I installed the iPhone app, connected it to my speakers, put ear plugs in and went crazy for a couple of minutes.

Haven't heard next door's one since...

whatsupdoc

Established Member
I gave up watching any football years ago, but if I did watch it I would automatically mute the sound.

If you know the game, why do you need someone to tell you what you're looking at?

Steven

Senior Moderator
If you know the game, why do you need someone to tell you what you're looking at?
People are not moaning about the commentators, they are complaining about the vuvuzelas which by all accounts are blown from dawn till dusk inside and outside the stadiums :)

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
I dont keep up with football (partly because its a sport I'd rather be playing, but also because most league footie is pants these days), so I like to have the commentary on to hear about who I am watching. I dont mind air horns as they were mostly blown to a tune, chanting is fine as well. The vuvuzelas are pointless. They go nonstop from start to finish and cause a headache. No timing or build-up etc, just non-stop noise that is not interesting.

I wish the commentators could be in an isolated booth with just their feeds coming over the TV and a background crowd noise from tape to at least give some atmosphere.

Havn't watched the world cup since trying to watch the first england game.

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
OH MY F***ING GOD

MY NEIGHBOUR GOT A FUFUVELA!!

BLEW IT ALL NIGHT FOR 4 HOURS, WHEN I ASKED HER TO STOP SHE SAID I CANT MAKE HER!!!! ...

luckily her husband took it away.

Just 1 is so loud and penetrating double glasing does nothing to stop it. Im considering ramming it up her if she starts again tonight.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Its just a part of South African culture, get over it. Its like England hosting the world cup and everyone complaining about the songs and chanting that goes on here at games

phairplay

Distinguished Member
Its just a part of South African culture, get over it. Its like England hosting the world cup and everyone complaining about the songs and chanting that goes on here at games
I think the point is that it's the same continuous noise over and over again.

with songs and chants aleast there is some variety.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom