VT65 or F8500? That is the question!

MahaRaja

Ex Member
Reaction score
Deciding which one to purchase this summer, for a 50” model.:rolleyes: Samsung is the only alternative from Panasonic and this year it’s their best effort so far, so has anyone been really impressed with this Sammy.

I’ve seen the Sammy in action. The colours are bright and punchy even in Movie mode, the most accurate pre-set, compared to dim and dull (THX or Pro modes) in VT65 in daytime/afternoon viewing and picture not washed out. I know the VT has better black level, but can you spot the tiny difference in a normal viewing condition? Apart from the Sammy ‘love it or hate’ stand, I think it looks quite nice.

Had a look at Sammys LCDs, the sales guy prefers to call them LEDs:D, but prefer the superior picture quality F8500.

Not sure if the filter in VT65 is inferior to F8500?:confused:

Has anyone managed see the two sets either side by side or separately and give feedback and say which one they preferred or bought?

I think this is a question a lot of people would like to answer but there doesn't seem to be anywhere with both set up in the same store.

I think this is a question a lot of people would like to answer but there doesn't seem to be anywhere with both set up in the same store.

Tps meet up will have both set up. ;)

If I was shopping for a 50", it would probably be the 50GT60.
Cheap, fully featured, the review on this site even rates it's ANSI contrast higher than the ZT60.
Unfortunately, no 65GT60 exists, nor does a 65ZT60 for Europe.
So 65VT65 vs 64F8500 is still the big question, which comes down to lighting and whether you're watching TV in a bright room (F8500) or a dark one (VT65).
The vertical viewing angle is a worry for the F8500 as well as the high input lag, fan noise might be a worry for the VT65.
I think the F8500 has a better design but as a dark room viewer myself, I'd prefer the darker blacks from the VT65.
Appears to be another year of simply keeping my KRP600M so far, might be amazed when I'm in a store where they're setup though.

TPS is just a bit far from London...:(

Apart from TPS, is to see them in JL as both should be on display. Been to JL Oxford St and no vt65 on display, they're still trying to flog VT50 and then make space for the new model.:(

Apart from TPS, is to see them in JL as both should be on display. Been to JL Oxford St and no vt65 on display, they're still trying to flog VT50 and then make space for the new model.:(

A couple of weeks ago I viewed the 8500 in JL and the VT65 in Fenwicks, luckily the stores were next door to each other (Newcastle) I think London has Fenwicks and JL quite close together? I posted my comparisons on the VT65 thread at the time, I like the F8500 better

A couple of weeks ago I viewed the 8500 in JL and the VT65 in Fenwicks, luckily the stores were next door to each other (Newcastle) I think London has Fenwicks and JL quite close together? I posted my comparisons on the VT65 thread at the time, I like the F8500 better

Can you post a link for the OP as it as a very informative comparison?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/18852560-post194.html

The thing that's changed since then is I am totally blown away by the F8500 now that it's set up in my own environment :) Ignore the vertical angle viewing thing, it's supposed to do that, not an issue unless you're wall mounting at a height and sitting very close

Do you like gaming? If so I'd avoid the F8500 due to the input lag.

Other than that, I think you'd be happy with either TV. If you watch most of your TV in the evening though I'd be tempted to suggest the VT65 due to the better black levels. Also have a read of the reviews on HDTVTest and AVForums. Be mindful of the 51" version of the F8500 though, as we still don't have any record of the black levels on that set. Samsung have said things have evened out between sizes this year, but the proof is in the pudding.

I went for the VT65 and couldn't be happier. It's an incredible TV and Blu-Rays are incredible. I also much, much prefer the modern design and look of the VT65 over the F8500.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/18852560-post194.html

The thing that's changed since then is I am totally blown away by the F8500 now that it's set up in my own environment :) Ignore the vertical angle viewing thing, it's supposed to do that, not an issue unless you're wall mounting at a height and sitting very close

I'm absolutely sure you'd have been blown away by the VT65 in your own environment too. Both are fantastic TVs, and the VT65 actually gets the nod here and at HDTVTest.

Other than that, I think you'd be happy with either TV. If you watch most of your TV in the evening though I'd be tempted to suggest the VT65 due to the better black levels. Also have a read of the reviews on HDTVTest and AVForums. Be mindful of the 51" version of the F8500 though, as we still don't have any record of the black levels on that set. Samsung have said things have evened out between sizes this year, but the proof is in the pudding.

I went for the VT65 and couldn't be happier. It's an incredible TV and Blu-Rays are incredible. I also much, much prefer the modern design and look of the VT65 over the F8500.

How much input lag is actually noticeable? I do game but not 'seriously'. I mean, I play fifa and Battlefield online but I'm no ace.

I'm absolutely sure you'd have been blown away by the VT65 in your own environment too. Both are fantastic TVs, and the VT65 actually gets the nod here and at HDTVTest.

You're probably right, it was very nice but the brightness sold me on the F8500, it looks like my F8000 and ES8000 but better all round.

There's no doubting that this year it's a difficult choice, it comes down to personal preferences, the F8500 and the GT, VT and ZT are all superb.

How much input lag is actually noticeable? I do game but not 'seriously'. I mean, I play fifa and Battlefield online but I'm no ace.

You'll probably find games like Battlefield feels a bit sluggish and slightly more difficult to aim. At least that's what it was like when I gamed on my Samsung C750 with similar lag issues.

Also if you're in to twitchy 2D platformers like Super Meat Boy etc, they're almost impossible to play properly on a TV with high lag.

You probably won't notice a world of difference with a game like FIFA.

Personally, I couldn't live with the level of lag on the F8500 which was a reason why I couldn't even consider it against the VT65. Well, that and the stand/design. Otherwise it would have been an incredibly close race.

EDIT: Also worth keeping in mind that all reviews have mentioned IR on the F8500. Although I haven't seen Arenaman complaining which is positive. For gaming though, this may be an issue. I can say my GT50 suffered from IR and was a massive annoyance when gaming for a long time. But my VT65 doesn't show any IR at all, even after playing Bioshock Infinite and Gears of War for hours at a time over the past week.

Last edited:
You'll probably find games like Battlefield feels a bit sluggish and slightly more difficult to aim. At least that's what it was like when I gamed on my Samsung C750 with similar lag issues.

Also if you're in to twitchy 2D platformers like Super Meat Boy etc, they're almost impossible to play properly on a TV with high lag.

Personally, I couldn't live with the level of lag on the F8500 which was a reason why I couldn't even consider it against the VT65. Well, that and the stand/design. Otherwise it would have been an incredibly close race.

EDIT: Also worth keeping in mind that all reviews have mentioned IR on the F8500. Although I haven't seen Arenaman complaining which is positive. For gaming though, this may be an issue. I can say my GT50 suffered from IR and was a massive annoyance when gaming for a long time. But my VT65 doesn't show any IR at all, even after playing Bioshock Infinite and Gears of War for hours at a time over the past week.

Very very mild, you have to have the Sky Sports banner on for hours to notice any and clears in seconds, that was just me going looking for it too. I don't game at all so can't comment on the lag

Recent Samsungs (2011-2012) have been far more reliable than the Panasonics. Lots of the Panasonics have been failing within six months. Obviously, we cannot know how this year's sets will be months from now. But I think it would be a triumph of optimism over experience to conclude today that all the reliability problems are in the past.

If you feel you will be unhappy dealing with returns, and you are interested in a Panasonic, I would suggest waiting some months until we have a better idea of early lifespan reliability. Note that if you buy from a dealer that only sells Panasonic sets and the TV goes wrong, you may not then have the option of it being replaced by a Samsung.

It pains me to say all this because there are a lot of things I like about Panasonic's TVs, but a TV that is only good for half a year is of little interest to most buyers.

I have the 64 F8500 and I can confirm there is lag on gaming, not enough to bother me but would probably get on a serious gamers nerves. I have not had any IR and the picture is amazing...

I have the 64 F8500 and I can confirm there is lag on gaming, not enough to bother me but would probably get on a serious gamers nerves. I have not had any IR and the picture is amazing...

Do you reckon the VT65 with its reported 40ms vs the f8500's 60ms would be noticeably better for a normal mortal?

I'm not a serious gamer, but I will throw the xbox on for a bit of the FPS sorta stuff. What did the 8G Kuros have, because if that's input lag then I don't notice it at all.

I got to see the 55'' panasonic in a friends room in dark conditions a while ago and wasn't impressed, but then I can't say what settings he was using. But it just looked dim and kinda greeny / yellow - it was all a bit drab.

So then the Samsung comes along and I'm like ok, this could be a contender the ZT is out, just because of it's ridiculous price bracket and you can be sure that their 65'' model is not going to be worth the price difference, anyone with an ounce of sense knows it'll be better but not 'that' better.

I don't think the VT will be as good as the Samsung either, but it's a couple of hundred cheaper now?? So it's worth a look, something I'll be doing over in London from the 9th onward.

Settings make a huge difference, I honestly don't get the dull drab thing people go on about, my Samsung is easily bright enough and even my mates Panasonic G15 is good, not like wow in your face LCD bright but that would just give me headaches.

Settings can make a huge difference, brightness set too high will destroy depth, contrast set too low will loose pop and poorly set gamma can washout a picture.
Colour wise my mates old Panasonic actually seems a tad more vibrant.

Cheapest place for a 65'' VT seems to be 123 av but I seriously doubt JL will price match them.

Cheapest place for a 65'' VT seems to be 123 av but I seriously doubt JL will price match them.

They won't, they did for me and a few lucky others with my ES8000 last year then within a day realised they'd made a mistake and rejected any further claims, but still honoured those they had accepted.

Do you reckon the VT65 with its reported 40ms vs the f8500's 60ms would be noticeably better for a normal mortal?

I'm sure I read somewhere the F8500 lag was more than 60ms, seem to remember it was 100+, is that right?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom