VT50 scrolling bar, overnight

bni

Standard Member
I have some IR on my VT50, a collection of channel logos in the upper right corner. They are mostly invisible unless there is a greyish background in what Im watching. With some grey/brown colors they are really visible, and somewhat distctracting.

They have been there for a couple of weeks now, and the have gotten somewhat more faint as I watch other content/channels. But if I watch a channel with a big bright logon on it (for example Eurosport), they return full strength.

Running the scrolling bar for a couple of minutes does nothing what I can see.

Is leaving the scrolling bar on overnight a good idea? Is that what it is for?

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
i have left mine running over night i didnt get rid if the ir which i still have but im sure its going slowly.

NBrice

Running the scrolling bar overnight shouldn't be an issue, but a couple of hours should suffice.

I'm surprised at the extent of your IR issues - please can you share which mode you have your TV in (eg THX, Professional, Cinema or Normal?). Also have you adjusted the contrast settings to higher than the default?

bni

Standard Member
OK, I will try for some hours with the scrolling bar.

I use THX bright room for daytime TV viewing and THX Cinema at night. Those are the only modes I have used.

Havent changed any brightness or contrast settings from the defaults.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
OK, I will try for some hours with the scrolling bar.

I use THX bright room for daytime TV viewing and THX Cinema at night. Those are the only modes I have used.

Havent changed any brightness or contrast settings from the defaults.

Then I would say that could be your problem as the THX presets don't use the orbiter.

Use pro1 & 2 as see how you get on

bni

Standard Member
OK, silly me for not understanding that "auto" really means off.

:facepalm:

Hope overnight scrolling bar will remove my current IR, then I will try the pro modes. Should I just leave those on defaults? TV viewing is often late evening when its still fairly bright in the living room this time of year, thats what I was thinking "Bright room" was for.

slc79

Guys, the pixel orbiter doesn't make THAT much of a difference. It's a common misconception that it is actually protecting your tv from IR. What it does is distributing it slightly so that it's getting weaker, but it doesn't spread all that much. We're talking about 4x4 pixels movement, so if whatever you are displaying is wider than 4 pixels, it will STILL retain just as brutal as if the orbiter was off.

Hence, orbiter does NOTHING to black bars in movies for example.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
May be an idea to drop contrast and sharpness down for a few weeks, plasmas are more prone to this for the first couple of hundred hours as they settle. Keep at it with the scrolling bar and avoid the Chanel with the logo that's created the IR or use zoom.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
May be an idea to drop contrast and sharpness down for a few weeks, plasmas are more prone to this for the first couple of hundred hours as they settle. Keep at it with the scrolling bar and avoid the Chanel with the logo that's created the IR or use zoom.
scooby, my ir is still there. im sure its fading, but i cant understand how i got it bad say i watch the same channel every day for a couple of hours but in between that i watch 10hours of other stuff, should that build upto bad ir overtime or not, as mine i never watch the channel that i think caused it for long periods and normall in the middle of the day but i always watch hours of stuff after untill i go to bed and in the morning the tvs on from 730 to maybe lunch time before its on again maybe.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
scooby, my ir is still there. im sure its fading, but i cant understand how i got it bad say i watch the same channel every day for a couple of hours but in between that i watch 10hours of other stuff, should that build upto bad ir overtime or not, as mine i never watch the channel that i think caused it for long periods and normall in the middle of the day but i always watch hours of stuff after untill i go to bed and in the morning the tvs on from 730 to maybe lunch time before its on again maybe.

As a test(all be it unscientific) put a dark grey slide on in a dark room, then bring up the menu for a second and exit, then see if it retained and how long it lasts. It is odd that it stays so clearly when you watch other content, but as I have said before some sets can be a proper pain.

Do you still notice the IR without looking for it? If you look on any new plasma with a blank screen in the dark you'll likely see a shed load of IR if the sets been on a while but sets do seem to vary a lot with IR.

The main thing is it's improving with luck the set is just taking time to settle like my PX80 I always go on about, that was a shocker for IR for months.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
As a test(all be it unscientific) put a dark grey slide on in a dark room, then bring up the menu for a second and exit, then see if it retained and how long it lasts. It is odd that it stays so clearly when you watch other content, but as I have said before some sets can be a proper pain.

Do you still notice the IR without looking for it? If you look on any new plasma with a blank screen in the dark you'll likely see a shed load of IR if the sets been on a while but sets do seem to vary a lot with IR.

The main thing is it's improving with luck the set is just taking time to settle like my PX80 I always go on about, that was a shocker for IR for months.
i will do that when i get 5, i havent noticed any other ir since this, and i have just changed the firmware so its alot brighter and harder to see for sure, if i didnt know it was there i would see it, i may see it very faintly on animated stuff if one colour goes on it say blue, and if i put the scrolling bar on i can see the pink tinge(i still find it weird that its pink)

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom