VT50 - Part Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevaborn

Scooby2000 said:
Got to sell my house still and get a job, may be Christmas for me but looking more likely to be March time. Depending on pricing Improvement not sure Id buy a new model on release again, did that with the V20 and it didn't go well lol.
A job ... Knew i was missing something. Sadly theres no real opportunities here and best i could hope to do is currys and id not like that.

At end of year i may see what price VT50's are and what deal i can get but tbh i may have to wait till next year when the 60 is out and see what a VT50 drops to.

k17chy

Distinguished Member
Banding as in banding or the new band issue?(wish people would stop calling the new issue banding). Buzzing can be a pain that's why I sent a V20 back, seems luck of the draw with any make that going by posts.

DFC and the uniformity with this band is my concern, though being convinced neither are a big deal. DFC wasn't too bad on my GT30 but clear uniformity issues are a no for me.
the new "banding" issue and it can only be seen on grey slidles. as for the buzzing, the screen has to be so bright it fries your retinas :laugh: my fishtank filter makes more noise than the fans so not an issue. dfc has really been helped with the calibration. its still there, but is very minimal :smashin:

Last edited:

Shadowsnypa1

Novice Member
Hi all

Ordered a 50vt50, a few weeks back from panny store. There was no stock. Out of the blue yesterday eve they phoned and Said we have your tv and will deliver tomorow. So as promised they delivered a couple of hours ago. A huge difference is picture quality from the vt30 In My opinion. The colours are mich deeper and the blacks are blacker. Very very impressed this far.
No banding yet ;). Just one annoying thing. I'm getting a noticeable buzz from the top left side of the tv. Is this normal? Will this die down? Or shall I contact the panny store to make them aware ?
Was going to get the vt calibrated by steve at some point but want to make sure that the set is not faulty first.

Many thanks

Ferruccio

Novice Member
Guys, I'm still seeing IR from the PS3 menu, more specifically the circle and envelope icons at the top right of the screen. Problem is that in order to watch or do anything on my VT I am forced to enter the PS3 menu first, always showing those same static images. I'm afraid that this IR might become a real problem and even permanent if I have the VT display the IR'ed image now and again, even though it's only for 30 seconds or so to start up a movie or a game.

What caused it is also somewhat of a mystery as the menu hasn't been on display for very long, though of course often very shortly, since I've been watching blurays like crazy the last couple of weeks. I'm trying to watch a ton of full screen material to get rid of the IR but so far more than 20 hours of continuous full screen playback have not quite done the trick.

What am I to do? :confused: The IR isn't visible on the scrolling bars (white or black) and shows best on bright blue skies.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Guys, I'm still seeing IR from the PS3 menu, more specifically the circle and envelope icons at the top right of the screen. Problem is that in order to watch or do anything on my VT I am forced to enter the PS3 menu first, always showing those same static images. I'm afraid that this IR might become a real problem and even permanent if I have the VT display the IR'ed image now and again, even though it's only for 30 seconds or so to start up a movie or a game.

What caused it is also somewhat of a mystery as the menu hasn't been on display for very long, though of course often very shortly, since I've been watching blurays like crazy the last couple of weeks. I'm trying to watch a ton of full screen material to get rid of the IR but so far more than 20 hours of continuous full screen playback have not quite done the trick.

What am I to do? :confused: The IR isn't visible on the scrolling bars (white or black) and shows best on bright blue skies.
Sounds a bit strange to me as the scrolling bar shows up any IR issues I have
the best.

Ferruccio

Novice Member
Sounds a bit strange to me as the scrolling bar shows up any IR issues I have
the best.
No really, it's non existent on the scrolling bar or either barely visible to the naked eye at least. (I can't see a hint of it) Whereas on bright images with light colours (light blue, light grey) I can see it clearly. (Clearly meaning I can see the faint IR clearly, not that the IR is so very clearly visible when you don't look for it)

Why this is I don't know, but it's definitely 100% IR if that's what you might be doubting.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
No really, it's non existent on the scrolling bar or either barely visible to the naked eye at least. (I can't see a hint of it) Whereas on bright images with light colours (light blue, light grey) I can see it clearly. (Clearly meaning I can see the faint IR clearly, not that the IR is so very clearly visible when you don't look for it)

Why this is I don't know, but it's definitely 100% IR if that's what you might be doubting.
I'm not doubting what you say, just saying it sounds strange for it not to be visible on the scrolling bar but visible on a blue sky background.

Hope you get it sorted

OC4J

Hi all

Ordered a 50vt50, a few weeks back from panny store. There was no stock. Out of the blue yesterday eve they phoned and Said we have your tv and will deliver tomorow. So as promised they delivered a couple of hours ago. A huge difference is picture quality from the vt30 In My opinion. The colours are mich deeper and the blacks are blacker. Very very impressed this far.
No banding yet ;). Just one annoying thing. I'm getting a noticeable buzz from the top left side of the tv. Is this normal? Will this die down? Or shall I contact the panny store to make them aware ?
Was going to get the vt calibrated by steve at some point but want to make sure that the set is not faulty first.

Many thanks
I assume it's the typical plasma buzz, though there are two fans to also consider, one on each side of the TV. I hardly hear the buzz on the 65", even when a bright white screen shows. And the fan noise is pretty subdued. You could try the fan noise solutions various people have tried earlier in this thread. The addition of felt across the lower two rows of the fan outlets is a simple, cheap way of trying to id the source. Good luck.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I assume it's the typical plasma buzz, though there are two fans to also consider, one on each side of the TV. I hardly hear the buzz on the 65", even when a bright white screen shows. And the fan noise is pretty subdued. You could try the fan noise solutions various people have tried earlier in this thread. The addition of felt across the lower two rows of the fan outlets is a simple, cheap way of trying to id the source. Good luck.
Agreed, the plasma buzz & the fan noise are 2 different things, as stated above the plasma is mainly heard on bright white pictures, the fan noise is a constant hum as the fans are on all the time.

Magnetic dust covers are available for the fans & do reduce the fan noise a little.

Bumtious

Banned
I saw a brilliant solution the other day that really worked. I took photos but for some reason can't upload thru the app. Will post em when I eventually get in front of my pc.

Involved thick card and magnetic strips brought from Hobby Craft.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I saw a brilliant solution the other day that really worked. I took photos but for some reason can't upload thru the app. Will post em when I eventually get in front of my pc.

Sounds interesting

nick270881

With the added bonus of not restricting airflow and therefore stopping a slight build up of both heat and dust!!!!!

Nevaborn

******** @ TPS said:

Will look out for it. Your not alone in not being able to upload pics

polakis

Guys why cinema and professional settings are so dark? I want to watch from usb drive and i dont have the thx profiles....

janos666

Did anybody experience intolerably high black luminance jump in the Professional/ISF modes?

I hoped to calibrate a 55VT50E last night but I had to refuse the job because I saw and measured too high black levels in the Professional modes and I could do nothing to fix it.
The settings didn't matter at all and every other mode produced the expected ~0.010 cd/m^2 (except the Professional with it's ~0.022 cd/m^2).

What the hell? :eek:
Last time I had to say "Sorry, I can't do it, just use the THX mode" I spent hours with a VT30 for nothing. Now, one year later it's the flagship Panasonic model AGAIN which forces me to an unpleasant situation like this. :rolleyes: :facepalm: :suicide:

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Did anybody experience lifted black luminance in the Professional/ISF modes?

I hoped to calibrate a 55VT50E last night but I had to refuse the job because I saw and measured too high black levels in the Professional modes and I could do nothing to fix it.
The settings didn't matter at all and every other mode produced the expected ~0.010 cd/m^2 (except the Professional with it's ~0.022 cd/m^2).

What the hell? :eek:
Last time I had to say "Sorry, I can't do it, just use the THX mode" I spent hours with a VT30 for nothing. Now, one year later it's the flagship Panasonic model AGAIN which forces me to an unpleasant situation like this. :rolleyes: :facepalm: :suicide:
I had mine calibrated in thx & was told it produces better blacks so I think what you have found is correct

Shadowsnypa1

Novice Member
Agreed, the plasma buzz & the fan noise are 2 different things, as stated above the plasma is mainly heard on bright white pictures, the fan noise is a constant hum as the fans are on all the time.

Magnetic dust covers are available for the fans & do reduce the fan noise a little.

The buzzing I'm getting is not fan related I believe as the buzz is less obvious when dark scenes are playing but very noticeable when light scenes are playing. I have kept cats on so the screen is brighter and the picture is looking good, but when I turn off the picture darkens and the buzz is bearable. I am using normal mode at the moment for he first 50 hours or so, so orbiter is on.

janos666

I had mine calibrated in thx & was told it produces better blacks so I think what you have found is correct
Interesting because nobody (except the Panasonic engineers and the THX lab guys) can calibrate the THX mode.
All you can do with THX is to alter the Service Menu white balance settings (R,G,B CUT and DRV). But my client didn't want me to change those (and I completely understand that). Otherwise, the white balance wasn't that bad. But I wasn't satisfied with the tone response of the THX Cinema mode. I was much more eager to alter the gamma than correct the very slight reddish tint. And nobody can do that on the field (not in THX mode).

Anyway... I would never ask money to say: "Oh, just use the THX." Not even for a simple 2p WB calibration. (May be I would accept a beer for that. LOL.)

Last edited:

Ferruccio

Novice Member
I'm not doubting what you say, just saying it sounds strange for it not to be visible on the scrolling bar but visible on a blue sky background.

Hope you get it sorted
Thanks! Anyone else has some advice for me? I've got a serious problem here. The VT might be permanently damaged or will be if I don't take some precautions. Some reactions would be helpful.

For IR that was caused by repeated short amounts of time viewing this PS3 menu image this IR really seems more persistent than it should be. (from what my common sense tells me)

:lease:

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Interesting because nobody (except the Panasonic engineers and the THX lab guys) can calibrate the THX mode.
All you can do with THX is to alter the Service Menu white balance settings (R,G,B CUT and DRV). But my client didn't want me to change those (and I completely understand that). Otherwise, the white balance wasn't that bad. But I wasn't satisfied with the tone response of the THX Cinema mode. I was much more eager to alter the gamma than correct the very slight reddish tint. And nobody can do that on the field (not in THX mode).

Anyway... I would never ask money to say: "Oh, just use the THX." Not even for a simple 2p WB calibration. (May be I would accept a beer for that. LOL.)
That's why I purchased a Lumagen & that was used for the calibration

stucarblne

Ferruccio said:
Thanks! Anyone else has some advice for me? I've got a serious problem here. The VT might be permanently damaged or will be if I don't take some precautions. Some reactions would be helpful.

For IR that was caused by repeated short amounts of time viewing this PS3 menu image this IR really seems more persistent than it should be. (from what my common sense tells me)

:lease:
Can you see the retention whilst viewing normal content ?

janos666

That's why I purchased a Lumagen & that was used for the calibration
That makes sense.

But it doesn't make the problem smaller. How is this possible that none of the professional reviews mentioned this? Not even David from *...? :blush:
Is everybody on Panasonic's pocket by now, or what...?

Status
Not open for further replies.