VT50 calibration and screen uniformity.....

AVF Jay

Ex Member
Reaction score
I decided to treat myself on impulse to a VT50 today, not sure why when I could have waited for a new 2013 model (especially since I bought a gt50 recently too but I'll never learn :laugh:)

Now the picture is decent on the whole (not much difference over the gt50 at first glance).

The first thing I did was go to the update screen to check for the vertical bands (although they werevisible on the initial set up screen) and this set has them really badly.

I've heard mixed things, some have said they fade with time, others have said a calibration can near enough hide them.

I'm just wanting to hear from anyone that has had the bands and whether they have faded slightly and whether a calibration has made them less visible.

I can honestly hand on heart say that after now owning st50s in the past and currently a gt50 and vt50 that every single on has vertical discolouration band type things towards the right but some sets have them more than others.

In the past though I've just gotten an exchange and then refund so never kept them long enough to test the theory of whether they fade with time, and I'm just wondering whether they either go or can be made less visible.

The last thing I want is to wait and find that they either get worse or pay for a calibration and it makes no difference to them.

If the general consensus is negative then I'll be getting a refund I think.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Probably best to get a refund and move on,calibration may make it less visible but won't make it go,or it may make no difference at all and you would have wasted good money on a calibration.

You know the faults of last years sets and whatever model you will get you would be actively looking out for the faults.

No real point in wasting your time and the shops time in keeping on changing sets.

Get a refund and get one of this years models, I'd take the ST60 over any of last years models from what I've seen/heard about it so far

Get a refund and get one of this years models, I'd take the ST60 over any of last years models from what I've seen/heard about it so far

I'm not sure I can get a refund, I have a feeling the shop I bought it from would probably try and fob me off if I try and point out the bands.

The bands will not disappear with time that is definite.
You can minimise them by tweaking the picture and mode on the set but they will never disappear.

True Cinema Mode is the worst for highlighting them ,followed by Cinema mode .
They aren't as noticeable in Normal Mode or Game mode but you are sacrificing picture quality .

I notice standard definition is the worst for it ,its not as bad in HD.
I notice it primarily in football matches with light green/yellowish pitches ,dark green are ok.
It was very noticeable in the Sweden-Ireland match tonight .

If you watch alot of football I'd recommend bringing the set back and getting a replacement as it will infuriate you ,like it does me.

I can honestly hand on heart say that after now owning st50s in the past and currently a gt50 and vt50 that every single on has vertical discolouration band type things towards the right but some sets have them more than others.
Thats my belief too,it is a design fault and is on all sets in some form or another ,its just some people notice it more than others due to the programming they watch .
I'd say take it back and get a different set alltogether ,its a joke that a tv costing over 1k should have such a major fault.
My set is 8 months old and I wanted to bring it back after a few weeks but my wife said the bands would go away and like a fool I didnt want to kick up a fuss as we bought off a local shop.

I'd advise nobody to buy this years models until its faults are widely known.You don't know what can of worms you are opening.

I am getting a gt50 delivered on Monday and I am really disappointed by this banding fault. If I notice it I'll be on the phone to John Lewis for a different model or cash back. Gutted!!!!

I am getting a gt50 delivered on Monday and I am really disappointed by this banding fault. If I notice it I'll be on the phone to John Lewis for a different model or cash back. Gutted!!!!

Please for your sanity don't go on the update screen :laugh: As if you notice it there you'll notice it everywhere.

What I would say is if you have any issues it's worth a replacement to see if you get one with less issues, and if the replacement is bad just get your money back.

I managed to get an exchange this morning, it wasn't classed as a fault in their eyes so money back wasn't an option but they exchanged it as a "good will gesture".

As it stands if this one is bad I'm stuck with it.

Please for your sanity don't go on the update screen :laugh: As if you notice it there you'll notice it everywhere.

What I would say is if you have any issues it's worth a replacement to see if you get one with less issues, and if the replacement is bad just get your money back.

I managed to get an exchange this morning, it wasn't classed as a fault in their eyes so money back wasn't an option but they exchanged it as a "good will gesture".

As it stands if this one is bad I'm stuck with it.

I'd seek a refund and look at this year's models. If you explain to the retailer that you're willing to spend more on a new TV, they might be more inclined to recognise the fault.

I'd seek a refund and look at this year's models. If you explain to the retailer that you're willing to spend more on a new TV, they might be more inclined to recognise the fault.

Refund wasn't possible as they didn't think it was faulty. They even tried charging me a restocking fee :laugh:

On a more positive note I've set up the replacement and the uniformity is much better and the buzz is minimal. on Ice Age at the start the gt50 and old vt50 buzzed loudly from my seating position, this set I can't hear at all unless I walk up behind the tv.

I'm pleased now, the screen isn't perfect but it's as good as it gets I think.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom