• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

VT30 replacement reprised.

martin99

>Guy's I have a Panny plasma (P50VT30B)
>and I'm more than happy with the picture, I've always been a plasma guy! However 4K beckons, so >how much will I have to spend to replicate or improve my current picture quality?

I posted this 3 years ago tomorrow and Ive still got the VT30 but its now on its last legs (a very loud buzzing sound) so the same question still applies.

A bit more info
Viewing distances are from about 2m to 4M and up to about 30 degrees of axis
I watch proper sport, (rugby, cricket, BTCC but never football :)) Discovery HD and rock Doc's
The Wife watches Documentaries, Downtown Abbey type stuff , Sky Arts etc..
Neither of us are film buffs half a dozen Blu rays a year max.
The audio will be handled by external speakers.
The 50 inch size seems about right?
Budget is what ever it takes to duplicate the quality of the VT30 (or at least as close as possible)

sagaris99

>Guy's I have a Panny plasma (P50VT30B)
>and I'm more than happy with the picture, I've always been a plasma guy! However 4K beckons, so >how much will I have to spend to replicate or improve my current picture quality?

I posted this 3 years ago tomorrow and Ive still got the VT30 but its now on its last legs (a very loud buzzing sound) so the same question still applies.

A bit more info
Viewing distances are from about 2m to 4M and up to about 30 degrees of axis
I watch proper sport, (rugby, cricket, BTCC but never football :)) Discovery HD and rock Doc's
The Wife watches Documentaries, Downtown Abbey type stuff , Sky Arts etc..
Neither of us are film buffs half a dozen Blu rays a year max.
The audio will be handled by external speakers.
The 50 inch size seems about right?
Budget is what ever it takes to duplicate the quality of the VT30 (or at least as close as possible)
Closest one can get to replicating a plasma image is with an oled. Can you stretch to 55 inches? It’ll only be 3cm wider, staying a 50 will look smaller.

Dodgexander

As close as 2m away a 55" would be around optimal for the kind of content you watch. If you were to move away from regular TV and watch more higher quality content in UHD then you could go larger.

I wouldn't go 50" unless you absolutely have too, limited options at that size compared to others and no OLEDs available.

LG B8 is the best value right now at close to a £1000.

martinthorn1

I upgraded from a 42" samsung plasma to a 55" Panasonic OLED (EZ952) last year - greatly improved picture and the plasma was quite good already (though was 720p). I actually got it as new but refurbished from Panaonic's Ebay store for a very good price, but there is slightly more risk this route as you only get 1yrs warranty.

martin99

Maybe a change of plan.. wondering if maybe I should save £1K, and buy a Phillips 6703 or its like, and wait for 8k to arrive?

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
There’ll always be better technology down the line. And with 8K you have to go bigger still to notice the change in resolution and increased detail.

Minimum size 8K is 65”

martin99

So I went into RS yesterday. Most of the sets were showing BBC1 HD and depending on the set the skin tones varied from jaundice to bad sunburn.
General impressions were the LCD's just wouldn't work with my room setup, I was surprised at how quickly the image deteriorated off axis.
The QLEDS were much better off axis, but they all seemed to be is some sort of Vivid mode, the colours "wrong" just too cartoon like, but they looked like worth investigating further
Tke OLEDs looked to have the most natural colours but i didn't have the opportunity to check out the motion handling.
I'll try to get a longer demo this week.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Some TVs are better out of the box than others with colour accuracy but judging based on store setups is a bad idea. Most TVs are in a specific shop mode akin to that horrible Vivd preset TVs carry.

If you are looking for good out of the box colour accuracy you'd need to compare each TV in its movie preset.

The Hisense A series would be an example of a cheaper TV reviewed as having great colour accuracy and either that or the U7A would be a better budget-orientated option than the Philips, at least in my opinion.

OLEDs? Well they are in a different league when it comes to SDR performance. Only really LCDs rival them in the higher end market and with HDR.

martinthorn1

the OLEDs looked to have the most natural colours but i didn't have the opportunity to check out the motion handling.
I'll try to get a longer demo this week.

If you want a TV to rival your plasma on viewing angles, you need to get an Oled. And if you want very accurate colours, out of the box ('professional' mode)then you can't get much better than a Panasonic.
Motion handling of all modern tvs is not as good as plasma in theory. In practise to my eyes there's no problem with Oled.

psychopomp1

OP,
I asked a similar question here about which TV to replace my 42" Pioneer Kuro Plasma when it finally dies. The general concensus is that OLED is the way to go if you want a plasma quality picture. At present your options for OLED are 55" or above but LG will be releasing a 48" OLED panel at some point (link) so that is another option. If you decide to wait for a 48" OLED then probably buy an el-cheapo Hisense TV for the interim period is your best option.

martin99

OK Im going with an C8. will pick it up tomorrow. Would anyone be interested in the P50VT30B before i scrap it? As I've said it has a picture dependent low level buzz, it might not bother some people but my wife is a professional musician and Opera singer and it drives her mad. pick up from Reigate,
>

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom