• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

VT20 owners

THXMovieMan

I'm just asking the question does your VT20 buzz? The buzzing seems to get worse on bright scenes?

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
I'm just asking the question does your VT20 buzz? The buzzing seems to get worse on bright scenes?

It is quite normal for any flat screen TV to Buzz (LCD & Plasma) especially on bright scenes which is when it draws most power. Some TV's buzz more than others even two identical sets may have very different levels of Buzz, one you might hear from a few feet on low volume & another not at all unless you have your head around the back of the set.

It's not deemed a fault as such but you might be able to get a service agent to make it less noisy as sometimes it's due to cables vibrating against something. :)

Sirez

It is quite normal for any flat screen TV to Buzz (LCD & Plasma) especially on bright scenes which is when it draws most power.

If it's considered normal then why does it not happen on all tv's? I have just checked my Sony LCD with a bright image and with the sound off and cannot here any buzzing at all.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
If it's considered normal then why does it not happen on all tv's? I have just checked my Sony LCD with a bright image and with the sound off and cannot here any buzzing at all.

That is exactly what I'm saying; you could get an identical model which does buzz! it's down to manufacturing tolerances. Some will be noisy some will be almost silent & most will fall somewhere in between.

mhjo

No buzz heard (at least compared to my former Pio 5090...)

Kinetic Frenzy

I've got a VT20 and i have to say when i first used it it buzzed like an angry bee and started doing my head in, then one day it just stopped and i don't hear a peep out of it now. I think it was around 50 hours of use that it stopped buzzing after being on for about 17 hours solid.

Don't know if there is any science in that annecdote or if it is just plain luck.

widget1978

Standard Member
Just got my VT20 yesterday. No buzzing from mine.

russm8

Mines buzzing :( kinda ******* me off abit now..... only had about 20 hours on set so far. It feels like its buzzing in my head at times. Will it settle ? Should I give the set a good hiding on some slides for a few hours ? or should I moan at the shop ..... G10 didnt buzz at all
Are everyones vt20s in the UK made in the Czech Republic?

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Mines buzzing :( kinda ******* me off abit now..... only had about 20 hours on set so far. It feels like its buzzing in my head at times. Will it settle ? Should I give the set a good hiding on some slides for a few hours ? or should I moan at the shop ..... G10 didnt buzz at all
Are everyones vt20s in the UK made in the Czech Republic?

Panasonics manufacturing plant for Europe is in the Czech Republic, they do not manufacture TV's in the UK anymore :)

THe Buzzing might go or might not, as I have said before each set will can vary dramatically, mine for instance fortunately does not buzz at all unless you put your ear right next to the back of the TV.

Kalos Geros

It's just power supplies and cases that are fitted in Czech Republic I believe - it's just an assembly plant with parts (power supplies and cases, tuners etc) coming from other sources, so the "Made in Czech Republic" is very inconclusive...also there are more Panasonic assembly plants in Europe beside the Czech one...

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
It's just power supplies and cases that are fitted in Czech Republic I believe - it's just an assembly plant with parts (power supplies and cases, tuners etc) coming from other sources, so the "Made in Czech Republic" is very inconclusive...also there are more Panasonic assembly plants in Europe beside the Czech one...

Well of course it's only an assembly plant, that's the way TV's have been produced for years with the vast majority of the parts coming from the far east.
When someone asks a question like "Are everyones vt20s in the UK made in the Czech Republic?" you can hardly answer any other way ;)

THXMovieMan

my buzzing is getting better but i still heard it on normal viewing so i will wait a month and if it is still there im ringing panasonic

Kalos Geros

Well of course it's only an assembly plant, that's the way TV's have been produced for years with the vast majority of the parts coming from the far east.
When someone asks a question like "Are everyones vt20s in the UK made in the Czech Republic?" you can hardly answer any other way ;)

Well, "assembled in" and "made in" do not carry the same meaning... I believe it says "assembled in Czech Republic" on the TV, which is far removed from "manufactured" or "made in" :)...but never mind the semantics...the buzzing occuring with some but not all sets may come from different sources of components for different batches or similar...I have never heard a buzz from the two Pannys that I use, while others claim the buz is there with theirs...

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Well, "assembled in" and "made in" do not carry the same meaning... I believe it says "assembled in Czech Republic" on the TV, which is far removed from "manufactured" or "made in" :)...but never mind the semantics...the buzzing occuring with some but not all sets may come from different sources of components for different batches or similar...I have never heard a buzz from the two Pannys that I use, while others claim the buz is there with theirs...

Agreed, components come from a variety of sources & this variance could well be having an effect :) another potential source is during assembly; if wiring is not kept well secured this can vibrate against the actual chassis/case which can worsen the situation.

I too am on my second Panasonic, the first was barely noticeable unless very close & the current one is practically silent, however I have heard several which would cause me annoyance :thumbsdow:)

errolevans

Someone removed my comment about the footy :mad:
I was only having a joke about the World Cup......... I mean my TV has been buzzing for nearly a month now, but it should all stop on Sunday after the final :D
I must admit though, I have now had a demo of one of these and am seriously thinking of getting one...... still a little torn by the lovely styling of the Samsung 3D LED sets, but after all picture quality should win at the end of the day :smashin:
Question is...... even if some of these sets do "buzz" can you actually hear it from the seating position 6-8 feet away?? And with my receiver on, doesn't that sound drown out any TV buzzing??? Or is it noticable during quieter passages to the point of being annoying??:confused:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Someone removed my comment about the footy :mad:
I was only having a joke about the World Cup......... I mean my TV has been buzzing for nearly a month now, but it should all stop on Sunday after the final :D
I must admit though, I have now had a demo of one of these and am seriously thinking of getting one...... still a little torn by the lovely styling of the Samsung 3D LED sets, but after all picture quality should win at the end of the day :smashin:
Question is...... even if some of these sets do "buzz" can you actually hear it from the seating position 6-8 feet away?? And with my receiver on, doesn't that sound drown out any TV buzzing??? Or is it noticable during quieter passages to the point of being annoying??:confused:

All sets buzz at various levels, usually you would be unable to hear it with low volume on the TV from your seating area. My set can't be heard with the set Muted unless you put your ear up to the set at the rear & then only faintly. It's the luck of the draw I'm afraid but if you can hear it above low volume then you should be able to get it exchanged or rectified without a problem :)
Yes the style of the Sammy's is very nice (Panasonic should employ their Designers :D but where it counts PQ there is no competition, Panasonic has the edge. :)

Kalos Geros

Yes the style of the Sammy's is very nice (Panasonic should employ their Designers :D

I wholeheartidly disagree...we need our LandRover Defenders too, not just Ferraris :D

I prefer the serious industrial look to the sparkling and shiny LGs and Samsungs...I loved the PV8 Panasonic series for their matte dark-grey chassis...

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
I wholeheartidly disagree...we need our LandRover Defenders too, not just Ferraris :D

I prefer the serious industrial look to the sparkling and shiny LGs and Samsungs...I loved the PV8 Panasonic series for their matte dark-grey chassis...

Hmmm.....each to their own I guess :D although I like the look of my VT20 in Bronze? it's not exactly stunning for a top of the range TV :( personally I think the LG infinia range look superior or for that matter the Panasonic V10 I had previously (one sheet of glass look) :)

Kalos Geros

Yes, Bronze looks interesting (seen it on a G20ES??...they called it titan I think, wander whether it is the same as your VT20)...so, other non-black finishes are OK...as long as they're not the cheap-o silver...:D

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Yes, Bronze looks interesting (seen it on a G20ES??...they called it titan I think, wander whether it is the same as your VT20)...so, other non-black finishes are OK...as long as they're not the cheap-o silver...:D

I had a very nice Sony CRT I had to swap because it was black & my wife wanted silver to match the decor :D which of course did not reign for long before we needed gloss black :facepalm: I just hope the bronzy/titanium or whatever it is remains ok for some time :rolleyes:

errolevans

Thanks for your comments - Looks like I am going to have to go for the Panasonic!! Just one more quick question regarding image retention:eek:
........ My Samsung Plasma suffers from it quite badly, very noticeable after Sky Sports News has been on with their various graphics! When it goes to the adverts, you can quite clearly see the images left on the screen with the various scores etc from Soccer Saturday - I just find it really annoying :mad:
What are your experiences of this with the Panasonic?
Cheers :smashin:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your comments - Looks like I am going to have to go for the Panasonic!! Just one more quick question regarding image retention:eek:
........ My Samsung Plasma suffers from it quite badly, very noticeable after Sky Sports News has been on with their various graphics! When it goes to the adverts, you can quite clearly see the images left on the screen with the various scores etc from Soccer Saturday - I just find it really annoying :mad:
What are your experiences of this with the Panasonic?
Cheers :smashin:

Panasonic have long been known to have the least amount of IR & for it to clear fastest if/when it occurs, usually it will be gone within minutes of viewing a new source. I have not seen any yet on mine in around 150 hours of use :)

errolevans

Panasonic have long been known to have the least amount of IR & for it to clear fastest if/when it occurs, usually it will be gone within minutes of viewing a new source. I have not seen any yet on mine in around 150 hours of use :)

All good news then :) I think if I go through "topcashback" I can get about £150 back from "Very" on a £1999 purchase price :smashin:
Buy now, pay July 2011 gives me 12 months to get the money together too!!
Looks like I will have to order one this week! :thumbsup:

Just got to find a good price for the 3D Blu-ray player now..... Can I feed 3D files straight from a USB stick to this TV? Does anyone know if you can play 3D from a WD TV box?
Also the samsungs had a pack available with the Monsters v Aliens 3D Blu-ray with 2 pairs of glasses (about £120-130).... Are Panasonic doing anything similar, because I believe the Samsung glasses do not work with the Panasonic? Thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom